The Student Room Group

Intercalation

Hi- I am planning to apply for medicine 2019 entry and am currently in the process of choosing which universities to visit for open days.

I've heard a lot about undertaking an intercalated degree but I'm unsure about what specific advantage this would provide in the future. Would it give a significant advantage when applying for certain specialties, and only if the specialty is related to the degree ?

I know you can get a BMedSci from nottingham in a 5 year course (I think), whereas other intercalated degrees would mean extending the course for another year- why is this ? Is a BMedSci therefore not as valuable as other intercalated degrees ?

Please can somebody tell me if intercalation is worth the extra year, and anything else you might now about intercalating at different unis? I'm asking to try and help narrow down my choices, besides via their selection processes and courses.

Thank you!
Have you done your UKCAT by the way?

I don't know much about intercalation but I know it adds a few points on to your foundation post application and the extra degree will help you applying for a specialty you're right.

Are you sure you can do a BMedSci within the 5 years?
Original post by gomgossa
Hi- I am planning to apply for medicine 2019 entry and am currently in the process of choosing which universities to visit for open days. I've heard a lot about undertaking an intercalated degree but I'm unsure about what specific advantage this would provide in the future. Would it give a significant advantage when applying for certain specialties, and only if the specialty is related to the degree ? I know you can get a BMedSci from nottingham in a 5 year course (I think), whereas other intercalated degrees would mean extending the course for another year- why is this ? Is a BMedSci therefore not as valuable as other intercalated degrees ? Please can somebody tell me if intercalation is worth the extra year, and anything else you might now about intercalating at different unis? I'm asking to try and help narrow down my choices, besides via their selection processes and courses. Thank you!
It does give you points applying for your first job, and after. Its also a time to try to get scientific publications, which also give you points. It doesn't have to be in a specific area. Its also another government-funded year at uni, which is a fun place to be. So you know there's that too. Nottingham's one is worth less yes.

Original post by GrandMedic
Are you sure you can do a BMedSci within the 5 years?

Nottingham has wrangled a weird thing where they get like half points for an 'intercalation' done within 5 years yes. Quite frustrating for the rest of us. In particular, Oxford's intercalation lasts effectively 1.5 years - last term of 2nd year plus a bit of summer is added to the normal year - but its still worth the same as any other intercalation :mad:
Original post by nexttime
It does give you points applying for your first job, and after. Its also a time to try to get scientific publications, which also give you points. It doesn't have to be in a specific area. Its also another government-funded year at uni, which is a fun place to be. So you know there's that too. Nottingham's one is worth less yes.

Nottingham has wrangled a weird thing where they get like half points for an 'intercalation' done within 5 years yes. Quite frustrating for the rest of us. In particular, Oxford's intercalation lasts effectively 1.5 years - last term of 2nd year plus a bit of summer is added to the normal year - but its still worth the same as any other intercalation :mad:

Ouch. I'm guessing intercalating was compulsory for you? Did you find it worth it?
Reply 4

Great, thanks ! Think I definitely want to intercalate and Nottingham’s off my list.

I did an 8 contact hours per week starting from September finishing in May intercalated degree and got 4 points on my EPAS for it lul.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending