The Student Room Group

urgent maths help

why can i not divide this equation by cosx to get a solution

2sinxcosx=cosx
You can't divide by a variable (cosx) here. When cosx=0, it is undefined. You must first factorize it, then you shall be able to calculate the solutions.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by man111111
why can i not divide this equation by cosx to get a solution

2sinxcosx=cosx

Original post by RedGiant
You can't divide by a variable. When cosx=0, it is undefined. You must first factorize it, then you shall be able to calculate the solutions.

Post #2 by RedGiant is basically right, in that if you divide by cosx\cos{x}, you will lose solutions that satisfy cosx=0\cos{x} = 0. However, the statement "you can't divide by a variable" is simply incorrect. For example, when solving an equation like ex(x2+5x+7)=0e^{x}(x^2+5x+7) = 0, we can divide by exe^{x}, since it's obvious that exe^{x} never equals 00. Thus while in this specific case it causes problems as cosx\cos{x} can equal 0{0}, it actually is a good idea to divide equations through by things that definitely cannot equal 00, as this makes the working simpler.
Original post by Prasiortle
Post #2 by RedGiant is basically right, in that if you divide by cosx\cos{x}, you will lose solutions that satisfy cosx=0\cos{x} = 0. However, the statement "you can't divide by a variable" is simply incorrect. For example, when solving an equation like ex(x2+5x+7)=0e^{x}(x^2+5x+7) = 0, we can divide by exe^{x}, since it's obvious that exe^{x} never equals 00. Thus while in this specific case it causes problems as cosx\cos{x} can equal 0{0}, it actually is a good idea to divide equations through by things that definitely cannot equal 00, as this makes the working simpler.

Yes, I know you can technically divide by a variable, I referring to the context of the question. This is an exam type question.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes, I know you can technically divide by a variable, I referring to the context of the question. This is an exam type question.

You should then edit your post, because your statement does not say that it is specific to this context; rather, it is an unqualified assertion that "you can't divide by a variable", which is simply false. Further, I'm not sure why you would include the statement "this is an exam type question" as it's completely irrelevant.
You should then edit your post, because your statement does not say that it is specific to this context; rather, it is an unqualified assertion that "you can't divide by a variable", which is simply false. Further, I'm not sure why you would include the statement "this is an exam type question" as it's completely irrelevant.

This is an exact question from the new spec a level maths specimen papers. When answering a maths exam question, they don't want a paragraph of explanation. It's a simple answer to a simple question. Stop trying to over-complicate things where they don't have to be.
Reply 6
So you're happy to lie rather than give the real answer because you don't like reading even a single paragraph. So be it. But don't you dare impute such an attitude to the OP. You're an idiot.

What are you talking about, @RedGiant is correct, you can't divide by a variable here. Do stop being a retard, it's a 1 mark question, end of argument.
So you're happy to lie rather than give the real answer because you don't like reading even a single paragraph. So be it. But don't you dare impute such an attitude to the OP. You're an idiot.

I haven't lied lmao, I have given a perfectly reasonable answer to this question. Stop being overly pedantic. End of.
Original post by squadt_
What are you talking about, @RedGiant is correct, you can't divide by a variable here. Do stop being a retard, it's a 1 mark question, end of argument.

You [can divide by variables in some cases, and not in others. The user RedGiant implied that it was impermissible to divide by variables in all cases, which is false.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
You [can]
divide by variables in some cases, and not in others. The user RedGiant implied that it was impermissible to divide by variables in all cases, which is false.

No he didn't you moron, stop being a douche about a 1 marker. He didn't imply anything.
Just asking, how do you solve it if you can't divide by cosx?
I haven't lied lmao, I have given a perfectly reasonable answer to this question. Stop being overly pedantic. End of.

You're arguing with someone who has a degree when you are a mere student. Call it "pedantic" if you wish, but the fact is that there is no rule against divison by variables.
Original post by squadt_
No he didn't you moron, stop being a douche about a 1 marker. He didn't imply anything.

Read: "You can't divide by a variable": that is a false statement.
You're arguing with someone who has a degree when you are a mere student. Call it "pedantic" if you wish, but the fact is that there is no rule against divison by variables.

That's irrelevant, I couldn't care less if you have a degree, I am not and have never denied the fact that you can divide by a variable in some cases. In this context however, it is perfectly acceptable to say that you can't divide by a variable, the variable being cos(x). I do these questions all the time and know the mark schemes very well. Seems like you have a problem if you consider anyone below you "a mere student". But anyway the answer has been provided to the OP, so I shan't continue to waste time talking to someone "who has a degree". Have a lovely day :h:

Original post by Mehru1214

You have to factorize it first.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Mehru1214

Take it to one side: 2sinxcosx - cosx = 0. Then factorise out cosx and solve for sinx and cosx: cosx(2sinx -1) = 0
Reply 15

Nobody gives a **** if you have a degree buddy, doesn't invalidate what RG said.
That's irrelevant, I couldn't care less if you have a degree, I am not and have never denied the fact that you can divide by a variable in some cases. In this context however, it is perfectly acceptable to say that you can't divide by a variable, the variable being cos(x). I do these questions all the time and know the mark schemes very well. Seems like you have a problem if you consider anyone below you "a mere student". But anyway the answer has been provided to the OP, so I shan't continue to waste time talking to someone "who has a degree". Have a lovely day :h:

You have to factorize it first.

"A" variable is indefinite and general. "The" variable is definite, and moreover, xx is the variable. cosx\cos{x} is not a variable but a function of a variable.
Reply 17
"A" variable is indefinite and general. "The" variable is definite, and moreover, xx is the variable. cosx\cos{x} is not a variable but a function of a variable.

Irrelevant.

Correct, I never denied cos(x) is a function of a variable either.
Correct, I never denied cos(x) is a function of a variable either.

Read: you said "the variable being cos(x)". cosx\cos{x} is not a variable.

Quick Reply

Latest