The Student Room Group

C3 Last Minute Questions Thread (Edexcel 1 day to go!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Notnek
No just the 2018 papers but they're locked.

Ah, okay, thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by LL2018
Ah, okay, thanks for your help :smile:

try bilal ahmed blog u'll get thepaper
Original post by MclarenP1

You are legit a lifesaver thank you so much :h:

Because in that part, you're solving for the part of the equation and the solution where the modulus is in effect. This only happens at values of x less than 1/2, as over that and that part of the line isn't being modified by the modulus.
https://www.examsolutions.net/tutorials/examples-using-inverse-trigonometric-functions/?level=A-Level&board=Edexcel&module=C3&topic=1406

I don't remember learning this in class, and I can't see it on the spec - do we need to know how to do this?
Reply 46
Original post by P1NNumber
https://www.examsolutions.net/tutorials/examples-using-inverse-trigonometric-functions/?level=A-Level&board=Edexcel&module=C3&topic=1406

I don't remember learning this in class, and I can't see it on the spec - do we need to know how to do this?

Questions on inverse trig functions are rare but there's no reason why one won't come up - it's definitely on the spec. The first set of question in that link are unlikely to come up because you can just use your calculator.
Reply 47
Original post by P1NNumber
How does long division help find the range?

If you use long division you get a quotient of 1 and a remainder of 3 which gives you

1+3x31+\frac{3}{x-3}

This may help you find the range because now you could sketch this function by a combination of tranformations. Also in this form it's easier to spot what's happening to the function as x change. I'm not saying you have to split up the fraction like this but it helps some people.

And how do we know ff(x) = x means ff(x) = f^-1(x) or is it just a given?

An inverse function reverses the output of the function. E.g. if you input 3 into ff and get 4 then if you put 4 into f1f^{-1} you'll get 3.

So ff(x)=xff(x) = x means that you're putting x through f and then f again and getting your original value. The only way this can happen is if ff is equal to f1f^{-1}

And is g^-1g(x) always the same as gg^-1(x)?

Yes.

Sorry last minute panic questions, functions haven't been my best :frown:

That's what this thread is here for :smile:
Original post by nisha.sri
How do you differentiate y=x^2 lnx / 3 -2x+4
I am having trouble doing x^2lnx/3

Its a product rule, differential of x^2 is 2x and lnx is 1/x, the third is a constant
Reply 49

Idk if anyone is on to help but on the edexcel june 2017 paper question 3c says you only get the last mark if you've put 7+root21 over 2 not the negative version... why is that? from what i can tell 7-root21 over 2 is also within the conditions so how do you know to only put one of these?
does anyone have any tips on how to check over answers i always make silly mistakes and end up losing a few marks
Original post by mathsnerd49
Idk if anyone is on to help but on the edexcel june 2017 paper question 3c says you only get the last mark if you've put 7+root21 over 2 not the negative version... why is that? from what i can tell 7-root21 over 2 is also within the conditions so how do you know to only put one of these?

I got confused on this question also. they both seem to meet the condition of being greater than -2.
Reply 53

Is it only C34 available? I can't find the C3 paper
Reply 54
Original post by mathsnerd49

When you square an equation like you will have done in the working of this question, you often generate extra solutions that are invalid. So you always have to check whether they satisfy the original equation. If you try plugging (7-root21)/2 into the equation you'll see that it isn't a solution.

A simpler example : x=1 has one solution, namely x=1. But if you square it you get x^2=1 which has two solutions.
Original post by Notnek
When you square an equation like you will have done in the working of this question, you often generate extra solutions that are invalid. So you always have to check whether they satisfy the original equation. If you try plugging (7-root21)/2 into the equation you'll see that it isn't a solution.

A simpler example : x=1 has one solution, namely x=1. But if you square it you get x^2=1 which has two solutions.

I understand the idea that it generates two solutions and one solution is usually the correct one.

but the decimal value of (7-root21)/2 is around 1.2

decimal value of (7+root21)2 is around 5.7

both values > -2 and the domain for g(x) is x > -2. This is why I am confused
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Notnek
That's what this thread is here for :smile:

are you a maths tutor/teacher
what time is this exam?:biggrin:
Original post by EA7_
what time is this exam?:biggrin:

It's already started you're 4 minutes late
Original post by Decipher