The Student Room Group

Warwick Rape Joke Students- 3 expelled 2 banned for a year, rest fined.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axiomasher
It's a judgement call on the part of the university I guess. In this particular case it was discussion between students about other students so it was a bit of no-brainer for action to be necessary.
the problem, in my view, is the public or private nature of the discussion

if I express the view, in a letter to a friend, that eliminating Jews or torturing "disbelievers" is beneficial to humankind, should a University take action if this private letter is somehow forwarded to them ?

in the future, it may be perhaps possible to gain information about a person's thoughts : should people be punished for thinking despicable thoughts ? or only for communicating these thoughts to a few friends ? or, perhaps, also for writing them down in your diary ?
best
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by mariachi
the problem, in my view, is the public or private nature of the discussion

if I express the view, in a letter to a friend, that eliminating Jews or torturing "disbelievers" is beneficial to humankind, should a University take action if this private letter is somehow forwarded to them ?

in the future, it may be perhaps possible to gain information about a person's thoughts : should people be punished for thinking despicable thoughts ? or only for communicating these thoughts to a few friends ? or, perhaps, also for writing them down in your diary ?
best

I understand your concern but we also have to look at it from the other side. If a private discussion has come into the public domain, no mater how, and it reveals a person to have intentions or values which by a significant margin fall foul of the institution they are a member of, should that institution and its other members simply ignore it? I don't think they can, I think they have to act. As for a device which makes all thoughts public? I have no idea how that would go but it is at the moment a speculative concern.
what if people make racist comments in private, say at a family dinner ? should they also be punished ? or, perhaps, some sexist remark in bed with their girl- or boyfriend ? should Universities actively spy on students' private lives and opinions ? problems, problems ...

best

If a Sam tells Sally that he will kill John for something he did. Should Sam be investigated for it? What happens if Sam actually kills John, would Sally be an accomplice to the murder if she had not reported it?

What about if Sam tells John that he will rape Sally and all the other 5 girls in her house? Should Sam be investigated for it? What happens if Sam actually rapes Sally and the other girls, would John be an accomplice to the rape if he had not reported it?

Now, I am not calling for a police state. However, when such things come out in public, i think the perpetrators should be investigated and punished. This serves two purpose; 1. To punish the perpertrator and 2. To deter others from doing the same.

Why do you think the media reports on news of people being jailed? They could just kept shut while the person gets jailed. Then reason is to show that crime does not pay and to deter others from doing the same.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
If a Sam tells Sally that he will kill John for something he did. Should Sam be investigated for it? What happens if Sam actually kills John, would Sally be an accomplice to the murder if she had not reported it?

What about if Sam tells John that he will rape Sally and all the other 5 girls in her house? Should Sam be investigated for it? What happens if Sam actually rapes Sally and the other girls, would John be an accomplice to the rape if he had not reported it?

Now, I am not calling for a police state. However, when such things come out in public, i think the perpetrators should be investigated and punished. This serves two purpose; 1. To punish the perpertrator and 2. To deter others from doing the same.

Why do you think the media reports on news of people being jailed? They could just kept shut while the person gets jailed. Then reason is to show that crime does not pay and to deter others from doing the same.
there are several dimensions to the problem :

A tells B : I am going to kill C.
Context is essential: how serious is this threat ? is it a joke ? is A simply very angry, and just letting off steam ? is A seriously making prepariations to kill C ? should B warn C, or even go to the police ? it's obvious that the answer is not the same in all cases ...

A tells B : blacks (or "whites", or "apostates", or "disbelievers" etc ) are nefarious people. For the good of society, they should be eliminated.
What should B do ? report A to the police ? speak to his parents, to the leaders of his sect, to his University ?

again, context is everything : is A joking, or buying weapons, gathering information on apostates, inviting other persons to act etc etc, in other words, are some preparations going on, or is it just random thoughts ?

Another point is :
what if these conversations etc become public.
Then, other factors come into play. Institutions (police, Universities, political and religious organisations etc) of course, will try to forestall criticism by taking action publicly, even if this is not necessarily warranted by the seriousness of the threats..., and this will risk having permanent negative consequences for the "culprits", even beyond what would be needed to simply show them the dangers implied by their conversations

So, in other words, there is no clear, "one size fits all" answer to the question. Some Muslims have a very similar problem, on an even more serious level, when faced with the issue of how radicalised co-religionists should be dealt with...

best
(edited 5 years ago)
As for a device which makes all thoughts public? I have no idea how that would go but it is at the moment a speculative concern.
at the moment, yes

but think of this : what if your diary is stolen, and someone publishes it on the net

should you be punished for the evil considerations you wrote in your diary ?

best
I don't think the university should have jurisdiction over what they say in a private conversation, no matter how abhorrent it is.
I hate the state of political correctness and left-wing bias at universities. For me personally it's more about the affirmative action being provided to Muslims but I also think that this is a little too much considering that these messages were privately sent among themselves. It's not really a pubic issue and tbf there are so many problems that the left-wing overlooks in favour of its identity politics.
So you at least accept that these students cannot be allowed on campus because of the seriousness and impact of what they have been saying, that is progress. There's only one more step you need to take now, which is it recognise that the university has to impose a penalty which makes it clear to current and prospective students, and the wider academic community, that it has zero-tolerance of such extreme and misogynist expressions, whether real threats to rape or not, whether 'humorous' to the participants or not. Universities have rules and serious breaches suffer serious consequence. That's all there is to it.

I never said they had to be allowed back on campus. Don't try to paint my correction of your false presumptions as progress for your argument :P

I don't agree that a university should do something which would essentially result in half the country being kicked out of university. Care to engage that argument, or are you trying to avoid it?
Original post by whatsprogressive
It's not really a pubic issue and tbf there are so many problems that the left-wing overlooks in favour of its identity politics.
it is in reality a very pubic issue...

bad jokes apart, I also think that in this case there was an overreaction, due to the University's main concern being fear of public criticism and to the general climate in public opinion (Weinstein etc)

however the devil, as always, lies in the details of the case

best
I hate the state of political correctness and left-wing bias at universities. For me personally it's more about the affirmative action being provided to Muslims but I also think that this is a little too much considering that these messages were privately sent among themselves. It's not really a pubic issue and tbf there are so many problems that the left-wing overlooks in favour of its identity politics.

There is no affirmative action being provided to Muslims, blacks, Asians, Romas, etc. We live in a meritocracy where people get into universities based on their talents and grades. I got into my university because I met the grade requirements, not because of my religion, ethnic background, or sexuality. If a Muslim is a successful doctor, it is because he/she put in a lot of hard work to get to that point.
there are several dimensions to the problem :

A tells B : I am going to kill C.
Context is essential: how serious is this threat ? is it a joke ? is A simply very angry, and just letting off steam ? is A seriously making prepariations to kill C ? should B warn C, or even go to the police ? it's obvious that the answer is not the same in all cases ...

A tells B : blacks (or "whites", or "apostates", or "disbelievers" etc ) are nefarious people. For the good of society, they should be eliminated.
What should B do ? report A to the police ? speak to his parents, to the leaders of his sect, to his University ?

again, context is everything : is A joking, or buying weapons, gathering information on apostates, inviting other persons to act etc etc, in other words, are some preparations going on, or is it just random thoughts ?

Another point is :
what if these conversations etc become public.
Then, other factors come into play. Institutions (police, Universities, political and religious organisations etc) of course, will try to forestall criticism by taking action publicly, even if this is not necessarily warranted by the seriousness of the threats..., and this will risk having permanent negative consequences for the "culprits", even beyond what would be needed to simply show them the dangers implied by their conversations

So, in other words, there is no clear, "one size fits all" answer to the question. Some Muslims have a very similar problem, on an even more serious level, when faced with the issue of how radicalised co-religionists should be dealt with...

best

Ok, for context, what if A jokingly told B that they would kill C. Few days later, C is killed by A. Should B have reported it? If it is found that B was aware about it, would they become an accomplice.

Another one, what if A jokingly told B that they would rape C and her 3 friends. Few days later, C is brutally raped by A. Should B have reported it? Would B become an accomplice.

A more rather extreme example, what if A jokingly told B, “You know what, if I had a chance, I would bomb London or Glasgow or Cardiff”. A week later, a car bomb goes off in the middle of central london killing 87 people. Should B have reported it? What are the consequences for B.

The above 3 examples have the same theme and context, said in jest or as a joke. Now, to me, it makes more sense to be proactive than reactive because you don't really know what may happy. That is why a threat, no matter how small is taken up by the security services.

I think normalising these comments is dangerous as it sets a precedent. There used to be a time when black people were casually called the N word. When it got tackled there was an outrage on impinging on freedom of speech. Now, calling a black person the N word is not only stupid but regarded as highly offensive.

We must do better.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Constantine2018
There is no affirmative action being provided to Muslims, blacks, Asians, Romas, etc. We live in a meritocracy where people get into universities based on their talents and grades. I got into my university because I met the grade requirements, not because of my religion, ethnic background, or sexuality. If a Muslim is a successful doctor, it is because he/she put in a lot of hard work to get to that point.

The affirmative action being provided to Muslims is an open secret. It's quite easy to see how the left-wing and the wider establishment have become obsessed with supporting the socioeconoically backwards Muslim community with affirmative action - simply looking through The Guardian or Hollywood would provide you with plenty of examples of Muslims getting affirmative action and positive racism. It's widely common for left-wing political groups to provide a platform exclusively to disadvantaged peoples such as Muslims (I think the leader of the student union was a Muslim?). British Muslims have become one of the most ridiculous examples of charity case pandering.

The majority of Muslims get sympathy at universities and the left-wing types give them a huge leg-up. The following article is from a left-wing source a Muslim would probably trust, even The Guradian has written about how Muslims got affirmative action years ago when the Hindu-Muslim divide was less stark in the UK.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/may/02/islam.religion
(edited 5 years ago)
The affirmative action being provided to Muslims is an open secret. It's quite easy to see how the left-wing and the wider establishment have become obsessed with supporting the socioeconoically backwards Muslim community with affirmative action - simply looking through The Guardian or Hollywood would provide you with plenty of examples of Muslims getting affirmative action and positive racism. It's widely common for left-wing political groups to provide a platform exclusively to disadvantaged peoples such as Muslims (I think the leader of the student union was a Muslim?). British Muslims have become one of the most ridiculous examples of charity case pandering.

The majority of Muslims get sympathy at universities and the left-wing types give them a huge leg-up. The following article is from a left-wing source a Muslim would probably trust, even The Guradian has written about how Muslims got affirmative action years ago when the Hindu-Muslim divide was less stark in the UK.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/may/02/islam.religion

That article does not mention anything that demonstrates universities engaging in affirmative action for Muslims. All it suggests is that Muslims want separate schools, i.e. faith schools. Many Catholics Jewish, and Hindu communities have their own faith schools and yet they aren't accused of being recipients of affirmative action. There seems to be a double standard here.

The point still stands that universities do not engage in affirmative action and admit people who meet their grade requirements. If universities did not do this, what would be the point of them having conditional offers and entry requirements?
That article does not mention anything that demonstrates universities engaging in affirmative action for Muslims. All it suggests is that Muslims want separate schools, i.e. faith schools. Many Catholics Jewish, and Hindu communities have their own faith schools and yet they aren't accused of being recipients of affirmative action. There seems to be a double standard here.

The point still stands that universities do not engage in affirmative action and admit people who meet their grade requirements. If universities did not do this, what would be the point of them having conditional offers and entry requirements?

The Guardian is probably the only news outlet that would have any effect on your viewpoints. It's discussing how "the perception is that Muslims receive a disproportionate amount of attention and funding and that perception is justified." and this is The Guardian that's saying this, so how exactly do you think the majority on the centre and right think of Muslims now?

We all know that Muslims receive a ridiculous amount of support from the media and charitable organisations, to the point that even the Tory party, despite the severity of Islamophobia among right-wing types in teh UK, chose to appoint a Muslim person into a chair that primarily deals with delinquency among the groups he represents, with there now being more Muslim politicians than Non-Muslim Indian politicians in the UK despite Muslims being less educated. It's exactly these kinds of affirmative action policies that are driving Indians out of the left-wing and even out of Europe. I notice that the far-right and Trumpism is very acceptable in the Indian community now...
The Guardian is probably the only news outlet that would have any effect on your viewpoints. It's discussing how "the perception is that Muslims receive a disproportionate amount of attention and funding and that perception is justified." and this is The Guardian that's saying this, so how exactly do you think the majority on the centre and right think of Muslims now?

We all know that Muslims receive a ridiculous amount of support from the media and charitable organisations, to the point that even the Tory party, despite the severity of Islamophobia among right-wing types in teh UK, chose to appoint a Muslim person into a chair that primarily deals with delinquency among the groups he represents, with there now being more Muslim politicians than Non-Muslim Indian politicians in the UK despite Muslims being less educated. It's exactly these kinds of affirmative action policies that are driving Indians out of the left-wing and even out of Europe. I notice that the far-right and Trumpism is very acceptable in the Indian community now...

None of what you have said does not prove how universities engage in affirmative action. The rules for university admissions is pretty simple. If you get the grades, you get in. If you don't get the grades, you don't get in. Of course, depending on how many people met the grades university admissions can sometimes be lenient.

Also, I am Indian and where I live, I see loads of Indians in the area. Clearly, they aren't flocking back to India because tbh that country is a **** hole. There is such a thing as Indian Muslims. Why are you separating the two as if they are entirely different groups?

Where I live, Muslims do not seem uneducated. My GP is a Muslim. My optician is a Muslim and my dentist is a Muslim too. I also had a lot of Muslim Maths teachers in secondary school too. They seem to be doing well.
None of what you have said does not prove how universities engage in affirmative action. The rules for university admissions is pretty simple. If you get the grades, you get in. If you don't get the grades, you don't get in. Of course, depending on how many people met the grades university admissions can sometimes be lenient.

Also, I am Indian and where I live, I see loads of Indians in the area. Clearly, they aren't flocking back to India because tbh that country is a **** hole. There is such a thing as Indian Muslims. Why are you separating the two as if they are entirely different groups?

Where I live, Muslims do not seem uneducated. My GP is a Muslim. My optician is a Muslim and my dentist is a Muslim too. I also had a lot of Muslim Maths teachers in secondary school too. They seem to be doing well.

You're probably a Pakistani living in East London who knows you'd get shot down for not being Indian. I'll most some demographic statistics that show the British Hindu-Muslim divide:

1) Oxford Uni study on Muslim poverty in the UK: http://csi.nuff.ox.ac.uk/?p=270

2) Cambridge Uni study on Muslim socioeconomic: http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/crime-data-research-throws-new-light-on-british-muslim-communities

3) Muslims and education: http://www.theguardian.com/education/mortarboard/2008/apr/01/whydotoomanymuslimsleave

4) Muslim population: http://www.mcb.org.uk/muslimstatistics/

5) HuffPost on Muslims http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02/12/british-muslims-facts_n_6670234.html

6) British Pakistanis are less successful: http://www.demos.co.uk/blog/why-are-british-indians-more-successful-than-pakistanis/

7) Bangladeshis overtake Pakistanis in the UK: http://www.economist.com/britain/2015/02/19/breaking-out

I lived in West London and now in am in uni acc. I have plenty of Sikh and Hindu friends but I we avoided whatever Muslims we came across, of which they were few, like the plague. I think we are now proven to be right. I know several Indian friends who enjoy India and want to see India prosper, unlike your typical Pakistani person, and I also know plenty that detest the direction the UK is going in to the point they want to leave the country for better places- we didn't vote Leave EU for a laugh and the demographics situation among youth is utterly mortifying.
...but think of this : what if your diary is stolen, and someone publishes it on the net

should you be punished for the evil considerations you wrote in your diary ?

best

Ultimately yes, I should be held to account for my words once they've become public, assuming, as you suggest, they reflect 'evil' values or intentions.
Original post by Joe312
...I don't agree that a university should do something which would essentially result in half the country being kicked out of university. Care to engage that argument, or are you trying to avoid it?

I don't even know what you're trying to argue now. These men were repeatedly suggesting to one-another that they should rape specific students at their university, this was clearly contrary to the personal behaviour and values expected of members of the institution. They suffered the penalty. You don't have anywhere to go on this. You join a club, you're subject to the rules of the club, you breach the rules of the club and get found out then you have to suffer the consequences in accordance with the club's rules. What's so hard to understand? You clearly care more for these horrible (ex) students than for the welfare, physical and psychological, of female students who were targeted. You are despicable.
The infinite monkey theorem of TSR: In any thread on TSR someone will eventually bring up the topic of Muslims, no matter how irrelevant.
(edited 5 years ago)
It's hardly unfair to remove students who have been having discussions about raping others at their university. But no matter, if you don't bother familiarising yourself with university rules when making the decision to join then you hardly have an argument after you've been found out discussing who you should rape with your friends. As the saying goes, ignorance is no defence to the law. If the university decisions in this case have been inconsistent with their own rules or procedures then they will be appealable.

If the rules of the university said, for example, that pupils couldn't have sex with members of the same sex, would you be defending the university in quite the same way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending