The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alizam_
Hi, I am hoping to study Geography at LSE, im currently in Year 12In GCSEs i got 4 A*s, 5 As and 1 BI am hoping to get predicted AAA/A*AA in Geography, Economics and German. I also do EPQAs i am from the North West, i wanted to know whether it was difficult move to London? and did you make friends easily?Thanks

For me, moving to London wasn't difficult, but then, I'm from a Home Counties town which is a half hour train journey away from London, so I've been coming into London all my life and I was very familiar with the city before moving here.

With regards to making friends, I would recommend applying to be in Passfield, Carr Saunders or Rosebery halls. These halls are - in my opinion - the most friendly. For example, due to the fact that they're catered, everyone eats dinner together everyday which is a great time to make friends in the first month or so. They also have great halls committees who plan and run loads of mingling events. The people there are also just generally very friendly.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
and do other good universities in the UK have the same perspective over economics and business as overlapping subjects?
Original post by sharolll
and do other good universities in the UK have the same perspective over economics and business as overlapping subjects?

No, most universities (e.g. Warwick) wouldn't care. It's just an LSE thing.
Sorry to barge in on this thread but I thought it would useful for those thinking of applying to hear my experience of the application process.I have an unconditional offer from LSE to study law starting September this year, as I did my A levels last year. I did better than expected and got A*AA in 3 science subjects (not traditional law related A levels) and decided to reapply via UCAS for a different course and university rather than take up my original offer.At GCSE, I got a couple of A*, mostly As and a couple of Bs. The school I went to is a standard comprehensive, nothing great, slightly below average.I decided to apply for law even though I had not really thought about it before and have no work experience in it. I did visit courts a couple of times before applying though.I did visit the web sites of all the universities I applied to and read all their tips on how to write your personal statement, this was a great help. I took the LNAT and did above average (23) in the multiple choice.I ended up applying to LSE, Bristol, Durham, Warwick and Leeds and got offers from all 5.So, in short, if you want to apply go for it. Don't listen to the naysayers saying you have to have done this and that, or got this and that in previous exams.If you want it and are prepared to put the work in and you get the grades, you stand as much chance as anyone else.
Original post by LeapingLucy
1) Subject combination
Your subject combination would be absolutely fine for either Economics or Gov & Econ. You obviously don't do a proper essay subject (Econ essays don't count - they're too formulaic) but you do an EPQ, so that's great. I know someone on the Gov & Econ course who did Maths, Biology and Geography (& an EPQ) at A-level, so no essay subjects, and no econ/politics either, and they still got an offer.

2) Philosophy
The first year Government course at LSE includes the module GV100, which is an introduction to political philosophy. So talking about political philosophy (Plato, Aristotle, Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau, Kant, Machiavelli, Fanon, Mill) would be absolutely great.

I would avoid, where possible, talking about non-political philosophy - I know somebody who got an offer for HSPS at Cambridge, but got rejected from Pol & IR at LSE, because they had talked about sociology & anthropology in their personal statement for the Cambridge course.

Hey Lucy,

I've been looking at the Politics with Economics course at LSE.

I was wondering how exactly does the personal statement need to be framed? Should greater importance be given to economics? Is any suggested reading recommended to show interest in the political sphere?

Furthermore, offers are usually given out at what grades? Lastly, is the course extremely competitive?

Thanks!
Hi,

I am looking to apply for international relations with politics or international relations with mandarin, I’m not too sure I have a good chance of getting an offer.

The a levels I am doing are, politics, psychology, Spanish and geography and my predicted are in the order A*,A,A,A
Original post by tanyamarwaha
Hi,

I am looking to apply for international relations with politics or international relations with mandarin, I’m not too sure I have a good chance of getting an offer.

The a levels I am doing are, politics, psychology, Spanish and geography and my predicted are in the order A*,A,A,A

Just to let you know, there is no course called 'International Relations with Mandarin' at LSE. There are no degrees with languages in the title.

If you take IR, then you can take one Mandarin module as your outside option each year.
Oh okay thanks.
Hi Lucy!

I'm still deciding on whether to apply to LSE soon and I wanted to have your opinion on whether I stand a good shot of getting an offer for Law. For GCSE, I went to a poor performing school and got 8A's (I know its poor for LSE). This was still top 8% in the new and inexperienced school. For A2, I moved and I'm now predicted A*A*A* at A level in English Lit, Economics and History (and an A in EPQ). Do you think I have a realistic chance?
Thanks in advance!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by anon3421
Hi Lucy!

I'm still deciding on whether to apply to LSE soon and I wanted to have your opinion on whether I stand a good shot of getting an offer for Law. For GCSE, I went to a poor performing school and got 8A's (I know its poor for LSE). This was still top 8% in the new and inexperienced school. For A2, I moved and I'm now predicted A*A*A* at A level in English Lit, Economics and History (and an A in EPQ). Do you think I have a realistic chance?
Thanks in advance!

100%. It's not your grades, it's the context you achieved them in - given the school you went to, your grades sound pretty phenomenal.

Obviously, your personal statement and ability to express your interest in law is vital and are what will secure you an offer, but your grades definitely put you in the running.

Edit - just make sure that in your school reference, your teachers make it clear how exceptional your GCSE grades were compared to your cohort at the school you attended. And make sure they stress the particular struggles that your school faced. Just so that it's set out clearly for LSE.

I know plenty of people at LSE who had GCSE grades similar or worse than yours, achieved in struggling schools, and they all got offers. You definitely have a great chance.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by yactchguy
Hey Lucy,

I've been looking at the Politics with Economics course at LSE.

I was wondering how exactly does the personal statement need to be framed? Should greater importance be given to economics? Is any suggested reading recommended to show interest in the political sphere?

Furthermore, offers are usually given out at what grades? Lastly, is the course extremely competitive?

Thanks!

The course is called Government and Economics. It's a 50:50 politics and Economics, so I would try and split your personal statement half and half between the two. I would also try to talk about political economy, and show why you're interested in the interplay between the two subjects.

If anything, greater importance should be given to politics, as it's the Government department that runs the GovEcon course and it is them who will ultimately decide to accept you or reject you. Personally I'd try to keep it fairly equal between the two subjects though.

There are no particular books recommended - if there were, everyone would read the same ones and all personal statements would be identical. You need to find a particular aspect of politics that particularly interests you, and go away and research it further - read articles, a book, even watch documentaries/listen to podcasts. That will make for a good personal statement paragraph - showing how you independently developed your understanding and interest in a certain political topic.

The minimum A level grades you would need would be AAA, although many applicants will be applying with A*A*A*, so bear in mind that AAA is not in itself enough to secure an offer. (Neither is straight A*s). If you don't take A levels, the LSE website can you tell what grades they expect in different qualifications.

And yes, the course is competitive - only 25% of applicants get offers.
Reply 51
Hello.
I will be starting Year 12 from September and my subjects are Economics, Mathematics, Business and English Literature. I am looking forward to study BSc Accounting and Finance at LSE. I came here in March from India and gave my GCSE English Language in June. My previous grades were transcripted by NARIC and I had gotten a 10 CGPA in my Class10/Board Examinations. How would I fare in the selection process for LSE? Also, what are some ways to better my chances?
Thank you in anticipation
Just to let you know, there is no course called 'International Relations with Mandarin' at LSE. There are no degrees with languages in the title.

If you take IR, then you can take one Mandarin module as your outside option each year.

There is:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Degree-programmes-2019/BSc-International-Relations-and-Chinese

It’s a new course, and they’ve changed it from Mandarin to Chinese this month for whatever reason.
I am a 2018 applicant who received an offer for Actuarial Science.
GCSE 8A* 2Bs 1C
Predictions 4A*
Other offers (data science+Statistics)
Warwick
Edinburgh
Imperial
UCL
Message me if you want to read my personal statement.
Also start studying for the MAT immediately if you want oxford or imperial
Original post by Leks
Hey
I’m in year 12, planning on applying to LSE to study Actuarial Science.
Got 5A* (including 2 9s) and 5 As
At A level I take Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Religious Studies
I am likely to be predicted A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A*
Also applying to Mathematics and Actuarial science at Manchester, Southampton, Leicester and MMORSE at Warwick

Should I focus solely on the Actuarial part of mathematics and economics?

Also do students from London still tend to live in dorms?

It needs to be 1000000000000% all about the maths and statistics. Actuarial is so so maths intensive. I got into Mmorse and Actuarial with my just maths and stats statement. If you give me your email I can send it to you.
Reply 55
Original post by Brrickpoo
It needs to be 1000000000000% all about the maths and statistics. Actuarial is so so maths intensive. I got into Mmorse and Actuarial with my just maths and stats statement. If you give me your email I can send it to you.

My email is [email protected]
Reply 56
Original post by Brrickpoo

I would really appreciate you sending your personal statement. Which course did you end up going for ?
Lse firm and imperial insurance
Hi! The thread for 2018 applicants had started by this time last year, so I thought I'd get the 2019 one going.

If you're thinking of applying to LSE this autumn, then introduce yourself! Reply with...

Course(s) you're applying for at LSE
Other universities you're applying for
GCSE grades
Predicted A-level grades & subjects
Any extra-curriculars?
Home/EU/International student

I'm a current student at LSE studying Government and History. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about my course, LSE generally, halls, LSE100, the application process, or anything else.

Also, just to explain the admissions process...

While LSE is considering your application, you will get a series of emails:

1) Initial Review - you will receive this email soon after submitting your application. It tells you that over the next 2 weeks, they will be
making sure that you meet the required grades for the course. Basically, they're checking that your predicted/achieved grades meet the
requirements and that you have the correct subjects. Pretty much everyone passes this stage.

2) Further assessment - this takes up to 8 weeks, and is when they start deciding who to make offers and who to reject. Some people
will receive offers in this period, some will receive rejections, and some will receive....

3) Gathered field - this email tells you that LSE is now considering your application as part as a gathered field, for up to 4 weeks (or
sometimes longer). Both offers and rejections are given out during this stage. You are more likely to get this email if you applied earlier
on (in September/October), than if you applied in January, as there's more time for them to decide.

You will definitely hear by 31st March at the very latest. Don't panic if you still haven't heard by late March - I got my offer on the 23rd March, and they were still giving out offers on the 30th.

Generally, offers come on Fridays and rejections come on Thursdays, but by February/March this starts to break down, and by the end of March there are offers/rejections every day.

Hi, I’m a UK student looking to apply for the new IR and Mandarin course but there’s only 12 places 😰

I currently study Politics, Geography, Spanish and Psychology and my predicted grades (in order of subject) are A*AAA

The entry requirements for the course are AAA but i know my chances are extremely slim so I’m not sure what to do. I don’t want to waste an option when I have such a slim chance.

Please can I have some advice?
GCSE:
2A*, 7,6,5, 4B,1C
A Levels:
English Lit, Ancient History, Late Medieval and Early Modern History
Predicted:
N/A (we don't get them till after exam results :rolleyes: ) Textiles (AS): C
Personal Predictions:
English Lit: A*, Ancient History: B, LMEM History: A
Course:
History and Chinese Culture Studies, or History.
Uni:
Nottingham (top), Warwick, Liverpool, York, Edinburgh

**If anyone's thinking of doing Chinese Culture Studies or history at Nottingham feel free to message it would be great to meet people : ) **

Latest

Trending

Trending