The Student Room Group

How does the Cambridge IGCSEs English Literature syllabus work???

I'm a South African student who's starting my IGCSEs this year, using self-study. I am doing biology, chemistry, English literature and maths. I took a look at the English literature syllabus and can't seem to grasp exactly how the different papers work. I know paper 1 (poetry and prose) is compulsory, but what about papers 2 and 3?
It says (quote), "All candidates take Paper 1 Poetry and Prose, and EITHER Paper 2 Drama, OR Paper 3 Drama (Open Text) and Paper 4 Unseen, OR Paper 3 Drama (Open Text) and Component 5 Coursework", and I don't understand this. Someone please explain!
Reply 1
I recently did IGCSE English Literature, and my school chose Paper 1 and Paper 2. So basically, this is dependent on your school, but as you aren't doing this subject with a school, I would say that it's pretty much up to you?? I'm not very clear about this, as not many people take this subject as a private candidate from where I'm from, but I know that if you do Paper 1 and Paper 2, you would have to study 3 texts, along with the poetry anthology, which you don't have the luxury of having it in front of you during the exam. If you do Paper 1 and Paper 3 and Paper 4, you would have to study 2 texts (with the additional poetry anthology), and you would have to practice answering unseen passages well.
Hey, I took all of my IGCSEs last year as a private candidate, including English Literature. Basically you have two choices: either take Paper 1 (Poetry&Prose) and Paper 2 (Drama) OR Paper 1, Paper 3 (Drama) and Paper 4 (Unseen). Paper 5 is unavailable to private candidates.
If you choose the first option, you have to study TWO drama texts along with a poetry anthology and a prose, so a total of four different books. Paper 2 is a closed book exam meaning you can't bring a copy of your text with you and you have to answer one extract question and one essay question.
The second option is the one I took where you study only three texts, a poetry anthology, a prose and a drama text along with the unseen paper. Paper 3 is an open book exam meaning you can take a blank copy of your book to the exam.
Reply 3
Original post by flyingboatmen
Hey, I took all of my IGCSEs last year as a private candidate, including English Literature. Basically you have two choices: either take Paper 1 (Poetry&Prose) and Paper 2 (Drama) OR Paper 1, Paper 3 (Drama) and Paper 4 (Unseen). Paper 5 is unavailable to private candidates.
If you choose the first option, you have to study TWO drama texts along with a poetry anthology and a prose, so a total of four different books. Paper 2 is a closed book exam meaning you can't bring a copy of your text with you and you have to answer one extract question and one essay question.
The second option is the one I took where you study only three texts, a poetry anthology, a prose and a drama text along with the unseen paper. Paper 3 is an open book exam meaning you can take a blank copy of your book to the exam.

Original post by hayzc
I recently did IGCSE English Literature, and my school chose Paper 1 and Paper 2. So basically, this is dependent on your school, but as you aren't doing this subject with a school, I would say that it's pretty much up to you?? I'm not very clear about this, as not many people take this subject as a private candidate from where I'm from, but I know that if you do Paper 1 and Paper 2, you would have to study 3 texts, along with the poetry anthology, which you don't have the luxury of having it in front of you during the exam. If you do Paper 1 and Paper 3 and Paper 4, you would have to study 2 texts (with the additional poetry anthology), and you would have to practice answering unseen passages well.

Thank you this helped a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest