The Student Room Group

Dramatic Monologue Ideas?

Hey,

I'm really struggling to come up with an idea for my power of storytelling/ dramatic monologue section of my english coursework. I chose monologue over persuasion or travel writing since I think that it would be easier for me to write. My 300 word plan is in for Thursday and I'm stressed because I cant think of any ideas.

Help?
Since it is a monologue, it has to be a discussion with yourself or to a person that is present but it is silenced. Imagine yourself in front of the mirror. What would you say to yourself? Or imagine speaking to a person, partner, friend, lover that is there (maybe listening to you or not), maybe it is an imaginary person from another chronical period of time. A monologue is like an internal discussion with yourself. That is the idea of the monologue. The dramatic aspect now is usually created by concepts like love, death, loss, or philosophical contemplations on the notions of existence (To be or not to be? what is the meaning of life without love or without you?). The dramatic aspect comes with the projection of your emotions about something. You can start a conversation with yourself about how do you feel about your room, reason why you feel that way. It is like a psychoanalysis of yourself. It is not difficult really. Just put your imagination at work and you will do great.

This is a poem known as a dramatic monologue from a Greek Poet

https://www.poetryinternationalweb.net/pi/site/poem/item/2678/auto/MOONLIGHT-SONATA
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Evelynlikestea
Hey,

I'm really struggling to come up with an idea for my power of storytelling/ dramatic monologue section of my english coursework. I chose monologue over persuasion or travel writing since I think that it would be easier for me to write. My 300 word plan is in for Thursday and I'm stressed because I cant think of any ideas.

Help?

when approaching creative writing, i reckon that it's always very useful to build up layers around a solitary word or idea. for example, you could start with an emotion, such as anger, and then move from there to the subject of the anger, or you could direct this anger at another implied character who has done something to the character who's speaking the monologue, or you could consider where someone may be if they're extremely angry.

you could consider starting points such as:

natural imagery (water, dust and flowers are some of my favourite natural images, natural decay and regrowth, nature ultimately claiming all man-made things, etc)

colours (and the emotional symbolism accompanying colours)

existing literature (might be worth looking up poems in particular for this, since they are usually more limited in their expression of ideas than prose or drama, like soundbites sorta)

historical settings

geographical settings or culture

if you like this approach, i'm happy to brainstorm ideas with you if this helps?
I might have been unclear- I know what a dramatic monologue is and what it consists of and the techniques used, I'm just having difficulty coming up with a concept or an idea for the actual monologue. I had an idea of a stay at home dad who knows his wife is having an affair with someone from work, he'll be going through his thoughts and feelings, reminiscing on the past e.c.t if this would work? Thank you both anyway <3
Reply 4
Original post by Evelynlikestea
I might have been unclear- I know what a dramatic monologue is and what it consists of and the techniques used, I'm just having difficulty coming up with a concept or an idea for the actual monologue. I had an idea of a stay at home dad who knows his wife is having an affair with someone from work, he'll be going through his thoughts and feelings, reminiscing on the past e.c.t if this would work? Thank you both anyway <3

that seems like a solid idea, relationships are always a good topic to write about! best of luck to you
Original post by 02042000
that seems like a solid idea, relationships are always a good topic to write about! best of luck to you

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending