The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I'm an American high school student in the British equivalent of year 13 (or 12? The system is a bit confusing, so I apologize if its not clear). I'm planning on applying to LSE Management this upcoming year. My stats are as follows (AP Calc BC is generally regarded as the American "further mathematics" equivalent, and a 5 on an AP test is usually regarded as a A or A* depending on the uni).

AP Calculus BC - 5
AP American History - 5
AP European History - 5
AP Spanish Language & Culture - 5

AP English literature and composition - predicted 5
AP Microeconomics - predicted 5
AP Statistics - predicted 5
AP U.S. Government and politics - predicted 5

Just a couple questions:
1. Should I include AP Macroeconomics in my predicted grades? I have the option of taking it, but I'm predicted to get a 4 (essentially a GCSE B).
2. Are my chances decent? Anyone else have any experience applying from the United states, or with similar qualifications in the UK?
3. For those who have applied to a management course in the past, what would you focus on in the personal statement? British personal statements are significantly different than American "college essays".
4. Any general tips?

Thanks in advance!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Accounting&Finance
Oxford, LSE, Warwick, Bath, Durham
7A*, 1A, 3B, C ( French)
A level predictions- Maths-A*, Chem-A*, Bio-A*
College winner of student investor, uni of Dundee gifted and talented programme, Cambridge he+ programme, work Experience at Adidas and Autotrader, books, used to be signed for Wigan Athletic for 4 years
What are my chances of attaining an offer?
Original post by phillipono
Hi,
I'm an American high school student in the British equivalent of year 13 (or 12? The system is a bit confusing, so I apologize if its not clear). I'm planning on applying to LSE Management this upcoming year. My stats are as follows (AP Calc BC is generally regarded as the American "further mathematics" equivalent, and a 5 on an AP test is usually regarded as a A or A* depending on the uni).

AP Calculus BC - 5
AP American History - 5
AP European History - 5
AP Spanish Language & Culture - 5

AP English literature and composition - predicted 5
AP Microeconomics - predicted 5
AP Statistics - predicted 5
AP U.S. Government and politics - predicted 5

Just a couple questions:
1. Should I include AP Macroeconomics in my predicted grades? I have the option of taking it, but I'm predicted to get a 4 (essentially a GCSE B).
2. Are my chances decent? Anyone else have any experience applying from the United states, or with similar qualifications in the UK?
3. For those who have applied to a management course in the past, what would you focus on in the personal statement? British personal statements are significantly different than American "college essays".
4. Any general tips?

Thanks in advance!

You can refer to my PM now
I really want to study geography at LSE, but I'm really not sure of my chances.
My school is quite stingy on predicted grades and only predict you what you've actually gotten in the end of year exams.
My predictions are:
A* in biology
A* in geography
A in maths
I've seen someone with the same subject combination as me get an offer and someone with lower predictions, but I'm still not sure whether my subject combination is considered weaker and my predictions as many schools predict one grade higher, but mine don't.
I think I'll be able to write a decent/good personal statement as I have moved across the world and have a keen interest in the environment module in the course (and have relative work experience and readings). Not sure though. Really not sure.. My school is very stingy on predictions and won't move people's up. I've never gotten below an A for example in geography and have gotten A* marks before. Ugh.. Am I wasting my slot on LSE? Should I just apply to Durham instead?

I want to apply for LSE, UCL, Bristol, Nottingham, and Kings.
I didn't do GCSEs as I lived abroad, but did the MYP (pre-IB) so they didn't have A* grades, and I got: AAAAABB with B in music and maths.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey. How possible it is to get a place in the BSc actuarial science program for LSE if you don't take further math? My school does offer it but I did not take itMy subjects are physics, chemistry, mathematics and global perspectives and research (my AS Level results are still not out)Also, i had a 90% in mathematics throughout as shown in the school reports. If my personal statement is also on point, how easy is it to get a place for my desired program? Any other suggestions or tips you'd like to give, you're welcome to do so!
Hello everyone.
I just wanted to know how possible is it to get into LSE's BSc Actuarial Science program without taking further math?
My school does offer further math but I did not take it due to indecisiveness about future studies at that particular stage in life.
My subjects are Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Global Perspectives and Research (my AS Level results aren't out as yet)
Also, my school reports indicate a 85%+ in Mathematics throughout my AS Level year. Can I please know how easy or difficult is it for me to get a place into my desired program if my AS Level grades come out good, my predicted grades are also as per LSE's requirements and my personal statement is on point too and heavily focuses on math?

Thank you very much!!
Original post by tanyamarwaha
Hi,

I am looking to apply for international relations with politics or international relations with mandarin, I’m not too sure I have a good chance of getting an offer.

The a levels I am doing are, politics, psychology, Spanish and geography and my predicted are in the order A*,A,A,A

If it's your dream course then there's no harm in applying. It's only one of five choices. Either you'll get an offer or you won't, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by rida345678
Hey. How possible it is to get a place in the BSc actuarial science program for LSE if you don't take further math? My school does offer it but I did not take itMy subjects are physics, chemistry, mathematics and global perspectives and research (my AS Level results are still not out)Also, i had a 90% in mathematics throughout as shown in the school reports. If my personal statement is also on point, how easy is it to get a place for my desired program? Any other suggestions or tips you'd like to give, you're welcome to do so!

I'm not an expert on the chances for this particular course.

However, the LSE website states that Further Maths is "highly desirable" for this course.

The people who get offers without having taken Further Maths are likely to be people whose school does not offer the course, as LSE won't discriminate against them on this basis given that it was beyond their control.

But given that you had the option to take it, but didn't, this will count against you.

By all means apply, especially as it's only 1 out of 5 choices, but I wouldn't set all your hopes on it.
Original post by juicyapples
I really want to study geography at LSE, but I'm really not sure of my chances.
My school is quite stingy on predicted grades and only predict you what you've actually gotten in the end of year exams.
My predictions are:
A* in biology
A in geography
A in maths
I've seen someone with the same subject combination as me get an offer and someone with lower predictions, but I'm still not sure whether my subject combination is considered weaker and my predictions as many schools predict one grade higher, but mine don't.
I think I'll be able to write a decent/good personal statement as I have moved across the world and have a keen interest in the environment module in the course (and have relative work experience and readings). Not sure though. Really not sure.. My school is very stingy on predictions and won't move people's up. I've never gotten below an A for example in geography and have gotten A* marks before. Ugh.. Am I wasting my slot on LSE? Should I just apply to Durham instead?

I want to apply for LSE, UCL, Bristol, Nottingham, and Kings.
I didn't do GCSEs as I lived abroad, but did the MYP (pre-IB) so they didn't have A* grades, and I got: AAAAABB with B in music and maths.

I would go for it! You have decent grades in good subjects - I know people who've got into LSE with lower grades.

Your grades are definitely good enough to put you in contention for an offer - what will determine whether or not you get one is the quality of your personal statement. I've posted PS advice at the start of this thread, and am happy to look at your personal statement once you've written it and offer advice.

Durham is also an amazing place to study human geography - my cousin went there and loved it so much he stayed for his masters. Can you swap Bristol or Kings for Durham? (I'm presuming Nottingham is your insurance - it was mine too)
Original post by SorabVij
Accounting&Finance
Oxford, LSE, Warwick, Bath, Durham
7A*, 1A, 3B, C ( French)
A level predictions- Maths-A*, Chem-A*, Bio-A*
College winner of student investor, uni of Dundee gifted and talented programme, Cambridge he+ programme, work Experience at Adidas and Autotrader, books, used to be signed for Wigan Athletic for 4 years
What are my chances of attaining an offer?

It's impossible for anyone on here to quantify your chances of getting an offer.

I would say that your grades certainly put you in contention, and it will probably be the quality of your Personal Statement that determines whether or not you get an offer.
Reply 70
Original post by Brrickpoo
I am a 2018 applicant who received an offer for Actuarial Science.
GCSE 8A* 2Bs 1C
Predictions 4A*
Other offers (data science Statistics)
Warwick
Edinburgh
Imperial
UCL
Message me if you want to read my personal statement.
Also start studying for the MAT immediately if you want oxford or imperial

Thank you
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 71
Hii!!

I am an international student from Singapore, our Alevels are a bit different from others(We donot have A* Grades, the highest is A)

Predicted grades

Economics A, Mathematics A, Chemistry A, Philosophy A, Physics A, and I took a H3 course on Mathematics (a bit difficult that further math) and predicted grade should be at least a Merit

My intended courses are Actuarial Science, management, economics, accounting and finance, but not sure which one I should go for.

My weakeness is on my extracurriculars, I donot have much related to economics because i wanted to study engineering previously. the only related are a business challenge and essay competitions, but I did not get any award for those. I have participated in many math competitions but I only got award for one. I have some significant awards for engineering but I think it is pretty useless to write in my PS for these coursesL so I am not sure what can I write in my PS since I only find my interest in economics this year

Also regarding PS, i am not sure about whether to include some other experiences as well. I do have a few leadership achievements and community projects etc, but not sure whether I can link that to management courses if I am applying to. Also, economy is part of my philosophy module, but not sure how is that relevant also because I feel that the course I am applying for are more of the applications of economics and theories instead of philosophy of it.

Do you have any advice for me? Thank you :smile:)
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE: Undergraduate Accounting and Finance
Other universities you're applying for: Warwick A&F, UCL Management Science, Manchester A&F, Kings College A&F
GCSE grades: I did iGCSE but pretty much the same thing. 10A*&A => 3A*, 7A, 0B or below.
Predicted A-level grades & subjects: Doing IB (Intern. Bacc.) - 44/45 or 45/45. HL: English (7), Econ (7), Maths (6 or 7). SL: German B (7), Chemistry (7), Physics (7)
Home/EU/International student: EU Student.
I'm hoping to submit my application by mid/end of September and then hopefully get an offer before Christmas - I dont think I'd survive the agonizing wait over X-Mas holidays.
Offers start coming out from LSE from mid. November, so if lucky I could see an answer anywhere from mid November all the way to start of January.
Do you think 'a lot' of people submit during mid/late September, or do people usually start handing out applications in October and later? Of course, Oxbridge candidates have to hand in their application early so is it right to think that Oxbridge candidates would mainly be the ones submitting so early? @LeapingLucy

On one hand, I see applying in September as an advantage but can it also be a disadvantage, as I'm competing directly with Oxbridge candidates? You think LSE has a specific amount of offers they want to give out from the September pile, october pile, etc? Thank you,
Regards,
SomMC
Original post by BearJohn
Hey guys! I am a 2018 applicant and got an offer for BSc Management. Please feel free to ask me any questions about applying to Management/LSE, I will be more than happy to help you!

Hi there I'm wanting to apply to management at the LSE this October.My IGCSES are 6a*s 3as and 1BMy a level predictions are D2 Economics A Maths and A chemistry I was just wondering what are the chances of getting an offer and do LSE contextualize igcse grades for offers as many people in my school get 10 a*s
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello.
I have recently graduated in BA Economics from India. I will be applying for Masters in Economics Fall 2019. My cgpa as 9.5/10 and final grade is O- Outstanding and have scored Outstanding grades in all three Economics special subjects for two consecutive years. I am preparing for GRE now and will give the exam in sept first week. Are my scores decent enough for Msc Economics at LSE?
Original post by akkyb1800
Hi there I'm wanting to apply to management at the LSE this October.My IGCSES are 6a*s 3as and 1BMy a level predictions are D2 Economics A Maths and A chemistry I was just wondering what are the chances of getting an offer and do LSE contextualize igcse grades for offers as many people in my school get 10 a*s

Your chance is great. You meet the entry requirement and your subject combination is fascinating. LSE do contextualize your grades based on your educational circumstances but your igcse results are still very competitive. Your igcse grades are actually very similar to mine(mine is 7A*2A1B) so you should not worry about it too much. You should focus more on your personal statement now, please make sure you put a lot of effort into it!
thanks
Reply 77
Hey,I'm a Year 12 student aspiring to study BSc Economics at LSE.
GCSE: 6A*s and 4A's
A-Level subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics, as well as an EPQ
A-Level predictions: A*A*A*A*
Work Experience: A week each at Rothschild & Co and Cambridge Associates.

How would you rate my chances of getting in given that LSE is really unpredictable in offering places?
Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by LeapingLucy
Hi! The thread for 2018 applicants had started by this time last year, so I thought I'd get the 2019 one going.

If you're thinking of applying to LSE this autumn, then introduce yourself! Reply with...

Course(s) you're applying for at LSE
Other universities you're applying for
GCSE grades
Predicted A-level grades & subjects
Any extra-curriculars?
Home/EU/International student

I'm a current student at LSE studying Government and History. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about my course, LSE generally, halls, LSE100, the application process, or anything else.

Also, just to explain the admissions process...

While LSE is considering your application, you will get a series of emails:

1) Initial Review - you will receive this email soon after submitting your application. It tells you that over the next 2 weeks, they will be
making sure that you meet the required grades for the course. Basically, they're checking that your predicted/achieved grades meet the
requirements and that you have the correct subjects. Pretty much everyone passes this stage.

2) Further assessment - this takes up to 8 weeks, and is when they start deciding who to make offers and who to reject. Some people
will receive offers in this period, some will receive rejections, and some will receive....

3) Gathered field - this email tells you that LSE is now considering your application as part as a gathered field, for up to 4 weeks (or
sometimes longer). Both offers and rejections are given out during this stage. You are more likely to get this email if you applied earlier
on (in September/October), than if you applied in January, as there's more time for them to decide.

You will definitely hear by 31st March at the very latest. Don't panic if you still haven't heard by late March - I got my offer on the 23rd March, and they were still giving out offers on the 30th.

Generally, offers come on Fridays and rejections come on Thursdays, but by February/March this starts to break down, and by the end of March there are offers/rejections every day.

Hi I am currently in my final year of high school, I have the following grades

A* Maths
A* Economics
A* Business
B English

I also have a 4 on AP macro economics
I did an inturnship for 6 months at a share brokerage firm, I was the president of the business club at my school, I was the house captain, with this can u please tell me my chances of getting accepted in LSE
Hello.

I have recently graduated in BA Economics from India. I will be applying for Masters in Economics Fall 2019. My cgpa as 9.5/10 and final grade is O- Outstanding and have scored Outstanding grades in all three Economics special subjects for two consecutive years. I am preparing for GRE now and will give the exam in sept first week. Are my cgpa scores and grades decent enough for Msc Economics at LSE

Latest

Trending

Trending