The Student Room Group

Student fees at uni far too high!

Are most of you ready to pay £9K for a min of 3/4 years and later be indebted of at least £36k + inflation rising up to £56k?:s-smilie:

Don't forget to add further £6k for your accommodation. Not everyone's name is Croesus or Caesar!:u:

I'd like to remind you that some years ago, uni (only) cost £3k and was free before 1998.

Why is nobody reacting?:ashamed: We should organise a kind of revolution... A petition was launched the last 2 years and the 100,000 signatures exceeded its number. This year 2018, Labour MP wanted to reduce the tuition fees to £6k but only for some courses. Let's extend it to every courses!!! What will happen in 2019? It's our future, let's change it POSITIVELY!

Just an example, in most EU countries, uni is free because students have reacted, protested and won their battle! Why couldn't we organise an event/petition/strike...

Scroll to see replies

It's not like I am going to pay it back, couldn't care less.
Reply 2
I think not many people say anything is because of the amount of time you have to pay back after you graduate, so many people will probably not pay it back at all.
As longs as you can survive while living in uni people don't mind.
Reply 3
Original post by random_matt
It's not like I am going to pay it back, couldn't care less.

Okay, unless you earn less than £23k a year; but I think you will be paid more if you go to uni (and loan repayment)!;-)
Original post by Corna1
Are most of you ready to pay £9K for a min of 3/4 years and later be indebted of at least £36k + inflation rising up to £56k?:s-smilie:

Don't forget to add further £6k for your accommodation. Not everyone's name is Croesus or Caesar!:u:

I'd like to remind you that some years ago, uni (only) cost £3k and was free before 1998.

Why is nobody reacting?:ashamed: We should organise a kind of revolution... A petition was launched the last 2 years and the 100,000 signatures exceeded its number. This year 2018, Labour MP wanted to reduce the tuition fees to £6k but only for some courses. Let's extend it to every courses!!! What will happen in 2019? It's our future, let's change it POSITIVELY!

Just an example, in most EU countries, uni is free because students have reacted, protested and won their battle! Why couldn't we organise an event/petition/strike...

Sure - simple question. Who do you want to pay for your education?
Reply 5
Original post by Slflay
I think not many people say anything is because of the amount of time you have to pay back after you graduate, so many people will probably not pay it back at all.
As longs as you can survive while living in uni people don't mind.

OK... but why spend your precious time at uni for earning less than someone who has not continued after his A-Level?:colondollar:
Because it's a graduate tax rather than a debt, if you do well then you will pay more until you've hit a cap, if you don't make that much then you're not in debt.

Education in other EU countries is free because of some combination of greater selectivity (i.e. a significantly lower proportion of people go to university), or because it's lower quality, or because it's necessary to make up for the lower quality of high school education.

You could solve the fees issue in the UK by reducing the number of places for domestic students, however this could go quite badly if done incorrectly, and many people will criticise the inability for many of the new generation to attend university.
Original post by Corna1
OK... but why spend your precious time at uni for earning less than someone who has not continued after his A-Level?:colondollar:

That's your own fault, not the government's or the system's
Yep. This is the reason I’m not going Uni. The career I want to pursue I’d say can be done without a degree, just loads of experience. I don’t want to spend most of my adult life being in debt to someone no matter how big or small. I know a lot of people who would love to go Uni but because of costs are put off. It’s a shame that people who really want to further their education and create a better life for themselves are not able to. Those who paid £3K a year paid £9K over the 3 years, yet we pay £9K for one year. Not sure who thought this was a good idea 😂
Reply 9
Original post by Trinculo
Sure - simple question. Who do you want to pay for your education?

Right! It should be free. That's what I am trying to convince as many students as I can to react to decrease the student fees at uni!!!
Reply 10
Original post by Corna1

Some people, because its down to how hard people try and not everyone can get the job, their dedication. Also people have many reasons to go, to learn more (some things you just cant learn online) and it gives you time to develop skills.
Reply 11
Original post by Helloworld_95
That's your own fault, not the government's or the system's

Imagine being without a teacher!!! You can't teach unless you've been to uni. We need both: manual and intellectual people in the world!!!!!!:u:
Original post by Corna1
Right! It should be free.

why
Reply 13
Yes, it was and before 1998; it was free!! I am sorry but I am not as rich as you are for the moment!:wink:
Reply 14
Original post by Corna1

Why have you posted this again?

For reference, the OP posted this already and I've already explained how wrong they are, and they conveniently ignored it. See the thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5509068
Reply 15
Original post by hezzlington
why

UK was once part of EU, right? In most EU countries, uni is free!
Reply 16
Original post by Corna1
UK was once part of EU, right? In most EU countries, uni is free!

It still is part of the EU... how clueless are you on current affairs?
Reply 17
Original post by IWMTom
Why have you posted this again?

For reference, the OP posted this already and I've already explained how wrong they are, and they conveniently ignored it. See the thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5509068

I wanted to change it of section but didn't know how to do it. I didn't intend to post it on the student finance page but to all students as I've been advised.
Reply 18
Original post by IWMTom
It still is part of the EU... how clueless are you on current affairs?

I know Brexit is in March 2019. I am not so clueless!
With the £9k in fees, you end up paying less on average per month than someone who paid £3k per year, the threshold is higher at £25k before you need to make repayments, and in both cases neither of you would probably pay it off anyway so it works out better. I don't agree with charging students to attend uni but in this case, it works out more as a graduate tax than it does a debt.

Also, do you really think a petition would change the government's mind lol. Students all over the country protested like mad when they announced the fee increase and that did about nothing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending