The Student Room Group

Where to apply 2019 entry

Hi, I'm thinking of applying to King's, Exeter, Sheffield and Newcastle. I got:
-10A* at GCSE
-Predicted A*A*A*/A*A*A (not sure about one of my subjects yet)
-UKCAT 2750 band 2

Do my choices look good? I'm worried my UKCAT is a bit low for Newcastle but I'm not sure :/
Ukcat might be on the low side for Newcastle so maybe worth looking at gcse heavy places such as Birmingham and cardiff
Reply 2
Original post by Foreverton
Ukcat might be on the low side for Newcastle so maybe worth looking at gcse heavy places such as Birmingham and cardiff

Thanks for the reply, would you say the others look alright? I'm most interested in King's but I can't find any solid information on their UKCAT threshold.
Original post by o.livia.
Thanks for the reply, would you say the others look alright? I'm most interested in King's but I can't find any solid information on their UKCAT threshold.

Don’t know as much about them but iirc kings are gcse heavy so that would be good. Sheffield have a ukcat cutoff but a slightly higher cutoff for interviews so check what that has been in recent years. Don’t know much about Exeter unfortunately
Reply 4
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to King's, Exeter, Sheffield and Newcastle. I got:
-10A* at GCSE
-Predicted A*A*A*/A*A*A (not sure about one of my subjects yet)
-UKCAT 2750 band 2

Do my choices look good? I'm worried my UKCAT is a bit low for Newcastle but I'm not sure :/

King's - from a Freedom of Information request for 2017 entry, lowest UKCAT scores interviewed were 640/650 per sub-test, presumably supported by perfect GCSEs, which you have. It looks like you have a comfortable cushion of 40-ish on your UKCAT.

Exeter - last year you needed to have predicted 3 x A* and additionally a UKCAT of at least 667.

Sheffield - last year's cut off was 672

Newcastle - last year's cut off was 645 and the year before it was 667. see link here:

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/schoolofmedicaleducation/files/UKCAT%20thresholds%20and%20application%20numbers%20new%20version%2026%20June%202018%20-%20revised.pdf

You can disregard 2014 on the link - they messed up on the national UKCAT paper and all the scores were much higher - as a result Newcastle's cut off plummeted the year after because people were nervous about the high score the previous year.

Also, a few years back there were not that many popular Med Schools using UKCAT only, so lots of people applied to Newcastle with good UKCAT scores, leading to a reputation of needing a 700 score. as more Med Schools move to UKCAT only eg: Sheffield last year and Bristol this year, the number of students with high UKCAT scores is being spread around more.

If you're uncomfortable with applying to too many UKCAT only schools, then Leicester and Birmingham (as two examples) would be fine for your stats. Equally Bristol, Southampton and Manchester are all good UKCAT only options, as well as those you've chosen. Also Cardiff as mentioned by somebody else - based on GCSEs

Also, with UKCAT, if you want to be entirely confident in your score, then wait until this year's final scores have been published to see if they've gone up or down since last year. The last couple of year have been fairly consistent.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by meddad
King's - from a Freedom of Information request for 2017 entry, lowest UKCAT scores interviewed were 640/650 per sub-test, presumably supported by perfect GCSEs, which you have. It looks like you have a comfortable cushion of 40-ish on your UKCAT.

Exeter - last year you needed to have predicted 3 x A* and additionally a UKCAT of at least 667.

Sheffield - last year's cut off was 672

Newcastle - last year's cut off was 645 and the year before it was 667. see link here:

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/schoolofmedicaleducation/files/UKCAT%20thresholds%20and%20application%20numbers%20new%20version%2026%20June%202018%20-%20revised.pdf

You can disregard 2014 on the link - they messed up on the national UKCAT paper and all the scores were much higher - as a result Newcastle's cut off plummeted the year after because people were nervous about the high score the previous year.

Also, a few years back there were not that many popular Med Schools using UKCAT only, so lots of people applied to Newcastle with good UKCAT scores, leading to a reputation of needing a 700 score. as more Med Schools move to UKCAT only eg: Sheffield last year and Bristol this year, the number of students with high UKCAT scores is being spread around more.

If you're uncomfortable with applying to too many UKCAT only schools, then Leicester and Birmingham (as two examples) would be fine for your stats. Equally Bristol, Southampton and Manchester are all good UKCAT only options, as well as those you've chosen. Also Cardiff as mentioned by somebody else - based on GCSEs

Also, with UKCAT, if you want to be entirely confident in your score, then wait until this year's final scores have been published to see if they've gone up or down since last year. The last couple of year have been fairly consistent.

Wow, thanks for your reply it was really informative! I think I'll swap Exeter out for Birmingham (Cardiff's a bit far afield from me) and keep Newcastle :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Foreverton
Don’t know as much about them but iirc kings are gcse heavy so that would be good. Sheffield have a ukcat cutoff but a slightly higher cutoff for interviews so check what that has been in recent years. Don’t know much about Exeter unfortunately

Thanks for your help, I'll swap Exeter for somewhere else anyhow :smile:
Thanks for your help, I'll swap Exeter for somewhere else anyhow :smile:

No worries! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending