The Student Room Group

grade boundaries this year

does anyone know what all the boards mean by this/similar phrasing:

"We want to protect students against the impact of disruption to learning caused by the Covid pandemic. To do this, we will take the second (and more generous) approach to carrying forward the 2019 standard. This means that we will avoid disadvantaging students who might have performed less well than they would have done if they had taken the exams in 2019, when they had not experienced any disruption to their learning. When we set grade thresholds, we will look carefully at the results of candidates in 2019 and in the years before that, and we will make sure that our choice of thresholds protects student outcomes."

this is from the Cambridge CIE website but ive seen similar statements for my other boards which are OCR and edexcel.

Is it just a long winded way of saying the grade boundaries are going to be nicer than 2019 but not as generous as 2022, or does it mean something else?
Reply 1
Ofqual also said this in an article: As in any year, grade boundaries for every specification will be set by the senior examiners after they have reviewed the work produced by students in the assessments. But those senior examiners will be guided in their decisions about where to set grade boundaries by information about the grades achieved in pre-pandemic years by cohorts of students, along with prior attainment data. That means the 2023 cohort will be protected in grading terms if their exam performance is a little lower than before the pandemic.

Broadly speaking, therefore, a typical student who would have achieved an A grade in their A level geography before the pandemic will be just as likely to get an A next summer, even if their performance in the assessments is a little weaker in 2023 than it would have been before the pandemic.

We expect that overall results in 2023 will be much closer to pre-pandemic years than results since 2020. This decision means that results in 2023 will be lower than in 2022. At this point in the academic year, we can’t be precise about results in specific subjects and specifications. Entries have not yet been made and students have not taken any exams. But there is no pre-determined ‘quota’ of grades.

I'm just trying to determine if this means that our grade boundaries this year will be lower than 2022's or not?
Reply 2
Original post by soupstore
does anyone know what all the boards mean by this/similar phrasing:

"We want to protect students against the impact of disruption to learning caused by the Covid pandemic. To do this, we will take the second (and more generous) approach to carrying forward the 2019 standard. This means that we will avoid disadvantaging students who might have performed less well than they would have done if they had taken the exams in 2019, when they had not experienced any disruption to their learning. When we set grade thresholds, we will look carefully at the results of candidates in 2019 and in the years before that, and we will make sure that our choice of thresholds protects student outcomes."

this is from the Cambridge CIE website but ive seen similar statements for my other boards which are OCR and edexcel.

Is it just a long winded way of saying the grade boundaries are going to be nicer than 2019 but not as generous as 2022, or does it mean something else?

So yes it means they aren't going to be as nice as 2022. But there not going to be nicer than 2019. This means that the percentage of people getting a particular grade will be around about the same as 2019, not much higher not much lower.
Reply 3
Original post by JQ2neeky
So yes it means they aren't going to be as nice as 2022. But there not going to be nicer than 2019. This means that the percentage of people getting a particular grade will be around about the same as 2019, not much higher not much lower.

I think I understand what you're saying, but this seems like it's just any normal way of setting grade boundaries and not "protecting students" in any way?
Reply 4
Original post by soupstore
I think I understand what you're saying, but this seems like it's just any normal way of setting grade boundaries and not "protecting students" in any way?

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how their 'protecting' us. I think it might be why papers in generally have been slightly easier. I think the bit where OFQUAL say there is no pre-determined ‘quota’ of grades is key here. I interpret this as meaning that they are going to still be a bit like 2022 where their kind with the marks need but still decrease. So actually it would be much lower than 2022 but a bit higher 2019. The exact method they will use to achieve I don't know
Reply 5
Original post by JQ2neeky
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how their 'protecting' us. I think it might be why papers in generally have been slightly easier. I think the bit where OFQUAL say there is no pre-determined ‘quota’ of grades is key here. I interpret this as meaning that they are going to still be a bit like 2022 where their kind with the marks need but still decrease. So actually it would be much lower than 2022 but a bit higher 2019. The exact method they will use to achieve I don't know

Ok, thank you! I think i get it a bit better but seems like they are being deliberately vague with their article. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest