The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Wheelchair Bound but Accommodation is uphill

So during the summer I have injured myself doing sport to the point where I am in a wheelchair and crutches and the place I chose for accommodation back in January is up hill, I now cannot reach this house or university due to my condition and the university (Lincoln) have said "they can offer me no support" and due to it being my fourth year, I cannot apply for student finance next year but I need my current years student finance to pay for my accommodation this year, it seems I am up a creek without a paddle, does anyone have any thoughts?
Original post by Tebbutt233
So during the summer I have injured myself doing sport to the point where I am in a wheelchair and crutches and the place I chose for accommodation back in January is up hill, I now cannot reach this house or university due to my condition and the university (Lincoln) have said "they can offer me no support" and due to it being my fourth year, I cannot apply for student finance next year but I need my current years student finance to pay for my accommodation this year, it seems I am up a creek without a paddle, does anyone have any thoughts?

How long will this last?
Have you spoken to the disability team?
Is the accommodation uni owned or private?

Try the disabled students helpline? See if there are any grants so someone can push you around. I dont know.

Maybe advertise for someone to take over your tenancy and then defer your studies for a year?

Ps didnt realise there were hills in Lincoln.
(edited 5 years ago)
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Original post by Tebbutt233

Sorry to hear about this.

I recommend you contact our Student Support team as they will be able to have a chat with you about this.

You can find their contact details here:
www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/studentlife/supportivecommunity/

Darren
Original post by 999tigger
How long will this last?
Have you spoken to the disability team?
Is the accommodation uni owned or private?

Try the disabled students helpline? See if there are any grants so someone can push you around. I dont know.

Maybe advertise for someone to take over your tenancy and then defer your studies for a year?

Ps didnt realise there were hills in Lincoln.

There's one, and it's literally called Steep Hill lol
Lincoln has disabled accommodation, surely they should offer something? Kick off until they give you support.
Original post by Conconz
There's one, and it's literally called Steep Hill lol

Long time ago since ive been there. I remember flat and I have a suspicion the cathedral was near the hill. OP never got back so its hard to say what their situation was. and what to do.

Quick Reply

Latest