The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter accommodation (Moberly and Old Laf)

I've firmed Exeter, hoping to start this September but I'm really torn as to what to do. A lot of the accommodation is quite expensive for what it's worth.
I'm considering Moberly as its the nicest accommodation that my budget could just about stretch to. But, I know its not very centrally-located and is an uphill walk. I'm worried the social life here is just a bit dead? I was wondering if Moberly is decently sociable or if I'll find myself constantly having to head to other accommodations to see people.
Also, Old Laf. Is it really that bad? I know it looks pretty awful but would it be better to be more centrally-located on campus and more sociable? I feel like no matter what accommodation I'm in, it'll be gross within a few weeks so is Old Laf that bad?
Hi! Glad to hear you've firmed Exeter - good choice :wink:

Moberly, though not regarded as one of the most social accommodations, is actually fairly central to the campus. It is about a fifteen minute walk to campus which is similar to most on-campus accommodations, and I know many people who have thrived and made good friends here. Birks Grange Village, a highly social accommodation from my experience, is very close by.
I understand your concerns about Old Lafrowda - it has built up a reputation for itself, no one can deny! However, living in New Laf for my first year I had many friends in Old, most of whom really enjoyed their time there. Though it may look slightly rustic in comparison to other accommodations, it is just as clean as other accommodations; the hygiene of it really depends on you and your flatmates. Old Laf is a very sociable accommodation which is slightly closer to Central Campus , but only by about five minutes at most.
Between them I don't think there is much difference in terms of living conditions; you'll be okay with both cleanliness and making friends whether you pick Moberly or Old Laf. I would say though from experience Old is more sociable certainly in terms of parties. I know this isn't everyone's thing, so it's worth taking the time and thinking about what's best for you.

Hope this helps. and hope to see you in September!
Beth
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
(edited 10 months ago)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by louiseee157
I've firmed Exeter, hoping to start this September but I'm really torn as to what to do. A lot of the accommodation is quite expensive for what it's worth.
I'm considering Moberly as its the nicest accommodation that my budget could just about stretch to. But, I know its not very centrally-located and is an uphill walk. I'm worried the social life here is just a bit dead? I was wondering if Moberly is decently sociable or if I'll find myself constantly having to head to other accommodations to see people.
Also, Old Laf. Is it really that bad? I know it looks pretty awful but would it be better to be more centrally-located on campus and more sociable? I feel like no matter what accommodation I'm in, it'll be gross within a few weeks so is Old Laf that bad?

That walk from Moberly is not pleasant if you have 9am - the rep underestimates the walk. Old Laf is nearer and a much flatter walk.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending