The Student Room Group
University of York
York

How late is too late for York accommodation?

See the thing is, i think York is going to be my firm choice, but i'm still waiting on a Bristol uni decision that could change my mind. I know the accommodation applications open on the 18th but I don't think I will get a decision from Bristol by then. so if I end up waiting will I be screwed? How fast usually do you have to apply to accommodation to get your top choices?
Reply 1
I didn’t apply for accommodation until June/July and I got my second choice which I was still really happy with.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by ellen138
I didn’t apply for accommodation until June/July and I got my second choice which I was still really happy with.
dahmm
Original post by ReeceV123
See the thing is, i think York is going to be my firm choice, but i'm still waiting on a Bristol uni decision that could change my mind. I know the accommodation applications open on the 18th but I don't think I will get a decision from Bristol by then. so if I end up waiting will I be screwed? How fast usually do you have to apply to accommodation to get your top choices?
Hi!

If you firm York and apply by 5pm on 31 July, you are guaranteed an offer of a single-occupancy room in accommodation owned, managed or approved by the University.

All applications are considered and rooms are not allocated on a “first-come, first-served” basis.

So you don't need to rush into making your application as long as you apply by 31 July :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by University of York
Hi!
If you firm York and apply by 5pm on 31 July, you are guaranteed an offer of a single-occupancy room in accommodation owned, managed or approved by the University.
All applications are considered and rooms are not allocated on a “first-come, first-served” basis.
So you don't need to rush into making your application as long as you apply by 31 July :smile:
wait fr? so if i apply on the 31st i will have the same chance of getting my first choice accommodation as someone who applied today?
Original post by ReeceV123
wait fr? so if i apply on the 31st i will have the same chance of getting my first choice accommodation as someone who applied today?
Hi! That's right, this is how we allocate:

We collect and hold all applications until our guarantee deadline date.

From UK A-Level Results Day, we put all firm-choice guaranteed students through our ‘mass allocator’ system. The mass allocator will pick out a student at random. That student will get their first choice if possible. If their first choice is sold out, they get their second choice; if their second choice is unavailable, their third choice; and so on, moving through students until everyone in the batch is assigned a room offer.

All applications are considered and rooms are not allocated on a “first-come, first-served” basis, but use a computerised auto-allocation system to select impartially from the applicants based on preferences.

Not everyone will receive one of their top three accommodation preferences, given the variety of our rooms and that some room types are more popular than others.

Reply 6
Original post by University of York
Hi! That's right, this is how we allocate:

We collect and hold all applications until our guarantee deadline date.

From UK A-Level Results Day, we put all firm-choice guaranteed students through our ‘mass allocator’ system. The mass allocator will pick out a student at random. That student will get their first choice if possible. If their first choice is sold out, they get their second choice; if their second choice is unavailable, their third choice; and so on, moving through students until everyone in the batch is assigned a room offer.

All applications are considered and rooms are not allocated on a “first-come, first-served” basis, but use a computerised auto-allocation system to select impartially from the applicants based on preferences.

Not everyone will receive one of their top three accommodation preferences, given the variety of our rooms and that some room types are more popular than others.

awesome :biggrin: well ive just firmed york anyway. thanks for your help
Hi,
With the random application does it take into account if someone requires a particular type of room such as wheelchair accessible or smaller flat due to autism
There will be a seperate process for allocating accomodation to those with accessibility needs. That will be the same at every uni.
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Hi,
With the random application does it take into account if someone requires a particular type of room such as wheelchair accessible or smaller flat due to autism
Hi,

We have some information on additional requirements including more info on the application process :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending