The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University - Full of Rich Privately Educated people?

Hello,

I am an Upper Sixth Year 13 student at a School in the South of England. I am slowly filling in my UCAS application and am applying for PPE. So far my choices are Oxford, Exeter, York, Warwick and I am thinking of putting Durham down.

Now what I'd like to know from people is whether Durham is just full of posh private school students or is there a strong mix? What are people's opinions on Durham University, I heard it is where people go if they don't quite make it to Oxbridge? How does it compare to other top UK unis such as Imperial and LSE?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by UpcomingIB
Hello,

I am an Upper Sixth Year 13 student at a School in the South of England. I am slowly filling in my UCAS application and am applying for PPE. So far my choices are Oxford, Exeter, York, Warwick and I am thinking of putting Durham down.

Now what I'd like to know from people is whether Durham is just full of posh private school students or is there a strong mix? What are people's opinions on Durham University, I heard it is where people go if they don't quite make it to Oxbridge? How does it compare to other top UK unis such as Imperial and LSE?

Thanks in advance.

No.

Okay, maybe there are a higher proportion of private/public school educated students vs state, but it certainly isn't full of poshos.

It is a common alternative/"back-up" to Oxbridge, but does that really matter?

As to how it compares to Imperial/LSE, I guess it depends on the course.

Moved to Durham University
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

About a third went to a private school. So 2/3rds didn't. Not that going to a private school necessarily defines someone...

More importantly, have you visited your choices? You only have to make your Oxbridge application by the 15th Oct deadline, the others can be added later. Indeed it can be an idea to keep a couple of choices until after you receive your Oxbridge decision in early January.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

These are quite stereotypical opinions. You should know that stereotypes are rarely accurate.
Reply 4
Undergrads are 21% BME.

Posted from TSR Mobile
the abbey?
Probably because it's also a collegiate university.

However friend of mine at Exeter found from his school, Bath was usually the "Oxbridge reject uni", whereas at mine it was typical for failed Oxbridge applicants to indeed go to Durham. The general consensus at Exeter was that it was the Oxbridge reject university specifically for white private school kids who didn't get the grades and/or succeed in interview despite their fortnightly Oxbridge interview tutorials, which certainly seemed to be supported by my experiences...so any uni in that range probably could be deemed "Oxbridge reject school" but I would imagine the schools themselves (or rather, their university admissions advisors or what have you) tend to encourage applications to one or two of that range of universities, and hence engender such cultures where one or two such universities end up being that schools "reject" option.

x

Why aren't you considering London unis incidentally? Durham is generally very well regarded on par with e.g. Edinburgh, UCL/KCL etc and slightly less prestigious than Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial from what I can tell, although I don't know much about it's PPE course specifically - but not a bad option overall. I'm surprised you've put Exeter over Durham or one of the London unis though, given your concerns, since it is renowned for being extremely white, upper middle class, and casually bigoted. They seem to be making some attempts to stamp that out of late though, but I'm not too sure how well it's going...
It's the 5th best UK university, believe just about all subjects are ranked in the top 10. Who cares about the background of the students.
If you're an IB student, I doubt you're very far away from being a posho. What's the problem? You don't like the white ones?

If you're rejected from Oxford, would you not also be an Oxbridge reject? It depends on the course, of course. Some courses at Durham are very far from Oxbridge-tier, so there are by far fewer Oxbridge rejects attending there. PPE is not one, though.

The uni is not that mixed. I had seen stats for nearing 70% white. The students are firmly middle class, offensively so. It really doesn't matter to you; you'll mix with them all the same. You won't escape their type at any of the unis you listed. The people who go to good unis tend to come from decent backgrounds -- just the way the world works, my IB-studying friend.

Also, I would slightly disregard Lounger's comments. He had an awful experience at Exetah; did not enjoy it. He thinks this means no one else could enjoy it and thinks to make hatchet-job complaints which are not even relevant to the reason he did not enjoy it. Exeter has fewer privately educated students than Durham; and the Durham lot are far posher.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Maybe the HESA data is Home students only, while the Durham data i linked is all students?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Especially when a significant proportion are Chinese. :yep:
Reply 12
Original post by artful_lounger
Probably because it's also a collegiate university.

Why aren't you considering London unis incidentally? Durham is generally very well regarded on par with e.g. Edinburgh, UCL/KCL etc and slightly less prestigious than Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial from what I can tell, although I don't know much about it's PPE course specifically - but not a bad option overall. I'm surprised you've put Exeter over Durham or one of the London unis though, given your concerns, since it is renowned for being extremely white, upper middle class, and casually bigoted. They seem to be making some attempts to stamp that out of late though, but I'm not too sure how well it's going...

Basically I can't afford London so I have to make-do with the Universities outside of London. I've put Exeter as my cousin attended here (he's 2 years above me) and I've visited a fair bit and love the campus, also grade requirements are quite low so I was thinking of having it as a safety choice.

Original post by Notoriety
If you're an IB student, I doubt you're very far away from being a posho. What's the problem? You don't like the white ones?

I am quite the opposite of posh but I have been around posh people for the past 5 years as I currently go to to a boarding school on a 40% choral scholarship and both my parents work to keep me and my younger brother who has just entered year 9 at the school on a similar scholarship. I'm not white but everyone in my boarding house, aside from 2 others who are some form of Asian, are white so it's not a problem.

I have heard bad stories about racism in Exeter but from what I've read it was part of a whatsapp/messenger group and no outright racism on campus? Haven't heard any allegations about Durham but just wanted people opinion on it.
Reply 13
Basically I can't afford London so I have to make-do with the Universities outside of London

Imperial has pretty generous bursaries.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/fees-and-funding/bursaries-and-scholarships/imperial-bursary/
I am quite the opposite of posh but I have been around posh people for the past 5 years as I currently go to to a boarding school on a 40% choral scholarship and both my parents work to keep me and my younger brother who has just entered year 9 at the school on a similar scholarship. I'm not white but everyone in my boarding house, aside from 2 others who are some form of Asian, are white so it's not a problem.

I have heard bad stories about racism in Exeter but from what I've read it was part of a whatsapp/messenger group and no outright racism on campus? Haven't heard any allegations about Durham but just wanted people opinion on it.

Posh by osmosis then. Very few people in this country have the resources to send two of their children to boarding school, even if they're only expected to cover 60% of the fees themselves. It is quite the financial undertaking. Essentially, you have more in common with your fellow boarders than the ordinary lower middle-class student, imo.

You're right. The racism was in the form of jokes in a private group chat. You will find such chats in every uni and institution in the world; people who see themselves as the next Anthony Jeselnik or Frankie Boyle. There have been racist incidents in Exeter city centre (a man outside of KFC racially harassing a Muslim girl (iirc)), owing to the high number of socially deprived and homeless people in the city centre. Destitution facilitates extreme behaviours and views. Exeter does have a high number of international students and these local-student confrontations are incredibly few in number, meaning you're very unlikely to encounter anything close to them.

Durham is slightly different. It is surrounded by some very poor towns and villages, and there are many in Durham itself who are poor, but there is not to the same degree a homelessness crisis and Dunehlm suburbia is much more affluent than Exeter's (at least in the sense of the areas you are likely to encounter on your travels). You will, if you stray too far, encounter peculiar characteristics. A very low incidence of racism. I would say, as someone who lives not too far away, that you are unlikely to encounter issues even in the poorest adjacent town or village.

OP is after PPE. KCL and others are OK, but unfortunately if OP's parents can afford boarding school it is unlikely OP will get much help (unless they apply for merit-only scholarships).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Durham is chill, definitely a step above York and Exeter, a step below Oxford though. Its about on par with Warwick, but it has a unique experience, you won’t have anything similar at other universities.

I really liked the people at Durham, they were all rich individuals (in terms of personality not necessarily financially lol). I think the college system is great especially if you can get into University college. You’d be best off meeting people at societies and college events rather than on nights out (I’ve heard the nightlife isn’t the best BUT the college system and activities of societies definitely makes up for it, so you get to know people on a personal level quickly). I slightly missed my offer and I’m gutted, I’m at Exeter now also doing PPE
Reply 16
Original post by Reality Check
These are quite stereotypical opinions. You should know that stereotypes are rarely accurate.

And yet current figures have Durham as having the lowest proportion of state educated students of any university.

https://www.palatinate.org.uk/durham-has-lowest-state-school-intake-of-any-uk-university/#:~:text=New%20statistics%20show%20that%20durham,21%2C%20was%20state%2Deducated.

So just 6% of the population make up 61.6% of the student population.

Or, to look at it another way, 94% is the population are competing for 38.4% of the places.

My state educated daughter feels it’s almost not worth wasting an UCAS bid on, despite being an A* A A student in her mocks.

And that’s not us being chippy. That is responding to appalling stats.
Original post by Stu N
And yet current figures have Durham as having the lowest proportion of state educated students of any university.

https://www.palatinate.org.uk/durham-has-lowest-state-school-intake-of-any-uk-university/#:~:text=New%20statistics%20show%20that%20durham,21%2C%20was%20state%2Deducated.

So just 6% of the population make up 61.6% of the student population.

Or, to look at it another way, 94% is the population are competing for 38.4% of the places.

My state educated daughter feels it’s almost not worth wasting an UCAS bid on, despite being an A* A A student in her mocks.

And that’s not us being chippy. That is responding to appalling stats.

I think you are reading this wrong 61.6% ARE state educated
Original post by Anonymous
I think you are reading this wrong 61.6% ARE state educated

Whilst the previous poster had their figures the wrong way round - 38.4% from private schools is quite a shocking statistic!

Quick Reply

Latest