The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances Help

For the past few years I have been subject to severe abuse due to my household situation. This impacted my study severely and I went from being an all A* student at GCSE with high A2 predictions and 4 offers from Medical School, to failing my A-Levels and missing my offers.Although I got into my insurance option of Pharmacy I have decided to resit in order to follow my initial career path as I am very much still invested in Medicine.After speaking with my school about the situation they told me I should apply and they can explain the situation fully in my reference. However when I emailed medical schools some told me they would need evidence of the situation, however I am not sure what physical evidence I should obtain and how to go about this? Please let me know what you think.
Original post by Lilia213
For the past few years I have been subject to severe abuse due to my household situation. This impacted my study severely and I went from being an all A* student at GCSE with high A2 predictions and 4 offers from Medical School, to failing my A-Levels and missing my offers.Although I got into my insurance option of Pharmacy I have decided to resit in order to follow my initial career path as I am very much still invested in Medicine.After speaking with my school about the situation they told me I should apply and they can explain the situation fully in my reference. However when I emailed medical schools some told me they would need evidence of the situation, however I am not sure what physical evidence I should obtain and how to go about this? Please let me know what you think.

(edited 5 years ago)

has this helped? Please, let me know because in a day or two I am quitting Student room so perhaps get in touch if you need anything.
Reply 3
Original post by Henrysewell96
has this helped? Please, let me know because in a day or two I am quitting Student room so perhaps get in touch if you need anything.

Thank you so so much for taking the time to speak to me and offer you're advice. I am so sorry to hear that you are in a similar situation and hope that everything will get better for you soon. I really appreciate your help and this has made everything so much clearer. I honestly didn't think I'd be able to go to university this year. I'm just a little unsure about how to bring things up at the doctors and word everything? Please let me know if you have any ideas. If you ever need someone to talk to about your situation I will always be here to help. X
Thank you so so much for taking the time to speak to me and offer you're advice. I am so sorry to hear that you are in a similar situation and hope that everything will get better for you soon. I really appreciate your help and this has made everything so much clearer. I honestly didn't think I'd be able to go to university this year. I'm just a little unsure about how to bring things up at the doctors and word everything? Please let me know if you have any ideas. If you ever need someone to talk to about your situation I will always be here to help. X

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you. You've made everything so much clearer. I really appreciate it. You're right, once this passes we will both come out of it so much stronger. Hoping things go well for you and sending lots of love your way! :smile:
Thank you. You've made everything so much clearer. I really appreciate it. You're right, once this passes we will both come out of it so much stronger. Hoping things go well for you and sending lots of love your way! :smile:

Remember it is always confidential so don't be worried about things getting out. They kept my secret ziptight SERIOUSLY. They wouldn't even share the info with other people on my course who needed it haha idiots, but it proves they keep things secret. I had go give my permission for them to pass info on to my personal tutor.

If you have messages with dates on or friends that you've told get them in on it. I didn't have this option because I didn't tell anyone. remember for your main two pieces of evidence has to be professional people unrelated, but this is good to add in. anything that makes your application stronger the better.
If you do medicine at Durham, they are quite nice
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest