The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

I failed 2 modules in first year how do I progress

I had a terrible year my brother got in an accident and was immobile for 6 months Or so and it messed up my studies. I still wanted to try and clutch the year but failed 2 assignments (one in each module) I really need to progress to second gear as to not lose a year of my life what do I do
Original post by Anonymous
I had a terrible year my brother got in an accident and was immobile for 6 months Or so and it messed up my studies. I still wanted to try and clutch the year but failed 2 assignments (one in each module) I really need to progress to second gear as to not lose a year of my life what do I do

Hi there,

I'm so sorry that you've had such a challenging year. The university should be giving you advice and support on how to proceed - have you contacted your tutor? I'm not certain about the support that can be offered but I believe that re-taking the year wouldn't be wasting a year of your life but giving you time to refocus without as much of a weight of the academic pressure.

I hope this helps :smile:

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there,

I'm so sorry that you've had such a challenging year. The university should be giving you advice and support on how to proceed - have you contacted your tutor? I'm not certain about the support that can be offered but I believe that re-taking the year wouldn't be wasting a year of your life but giving you time to refocus without as much of a weight of the academic pressure.

I hope this helps :smile:

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

My tutor hasn’t replied for months and I just wanna finish uni as soon as possible so I don’t want to be held back.
I think that it would be worth emailing your school to see where they can refer you for help :smile:
Reply 4
What uni is it?Did you tell them about your mitigating circumstances?@DataVenia can you advise here please

Thanks for the tag @Scotney.

You've used the word "assignments". Does that mean that there weren't exams, but were essays or some similar submission? Were you provided the opportunity to be re-assessed? Did you avail yourself of that opportunity? Did you also fail the re-assessment?

There's a slim chance that you might be eligible for condonement (although I suspect not), meaning that they'd turn a blind eye to the failed modules. To establish whether or not you're eligible, could you answer the following questions:
What overall mark did you get in each of the two modules? (I don't need the exact mark; I just need to know whether it was within the range 30% - 39%, or below that range.)
What was you overall mark for the year - including these two modules? (Was it at least 45%?)
Were the modules required modules? Or were they options you chose?
How many credits was each module worth?

The situation with your brother would seem to be a "significant adverse personal or family circumstance" and would therefore count as extenuating circumstances. That should allow you an additional attempt as the two failed assessments. (Note if you managed to achieve the pass mark for each module despite having failed these two assignments then they could just "award the student credit for the module without further assessment." See paragraph 4.2.2.2 in the Extenuating Circumstances Policy and Procedure.)

Have you contacted the Cardiff Students' Union for advice? Their Student Advice page is here and contains sections on Academic Appeals, Extenuating Circumstances, Results and Resits, etc. etc. They can be contacted at [email protected] or on +44 (0)2920 781410.
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia

You've used the word "assignments". Does that mean that there weren't exams, but were essays or some similar submission? Were you provided the opportunity to be re-assessed? Did you avail yourself of that opportunity? Did you also fail the re-assessment?

There's a slim chance that you might be eligible for condonement (although I suspect not), meaning that they'd turn a blind eye to the failed modules. To establish whether or not you're eligible, could you answer the following questions:
What overall mark did you get in each of the two modules? (I don't need the exact mark; I just need to know whether it was within the range 30% - 39%, or below that range.)
What was you overall mark for the year - including these two modules? (Was it at least 45%?)

The situation with your brother would seem to be a "significant adverse personal or family circumstance" and would therefore count as extenuating circumstances. That should allow you an additional attempt as the two failed assessments. (Note if you managed to achieve the pass mark for each module despite having failed these two assignments then they could just "award the student credit for the module without further assessment." See paragraph 4.2.2.2 in the Extenuating Circumstances Policy and Procedure.)

Have you contacted the Cardiff Students' Union for advice? Their Student Advice page is here and contains sections on Academic Appeals, Extenuating Circumstances, Results and Resits, etc. etc. They can be contacted at [email protected] or on +44 (0)2920 781410.

I got 36% in one and 34 in the other and I believe my overall was 48 ish percent and they were required modules worth 20 credits each. It may be worth noting that I resat them whilst still caring for my brother albeit not as much
Reply 7
Also it was some coding courseworks

I got 36% in one and 34 in the other and I believe my overall was 48 ish percent and they were required modules worth 20 credits each. It may be worth noting that I resat them whilst still caring for my brother albeit not as much

Understood. As I suspected, condonement isn't an option (both because they were required modules and because they exceeded 30 credits in total).

Your best bet, then, is to go down the Extenuating Circumstances route, for which I encourage you to enlist the help of the Students' Union, as I mentioned above.
Understood. As I suspected, condonement isn't an option (both because they were required modules and because they exceeded 30 credits in total).

Your best bet, then, is to go down the Extenuating Circumstances route, for which I encourage you to enlist the help of the Students' Union, as I mentioned above.

I will give you online suggestions, get connected with me.
Reply 10

I know of a case in the year above me in the same course who was allowed to carry 2 modules over to second year for his third attempt
Reply 11

Also it is worth noting that I had 2 assignments for one of the modules (50% weighting each) and one of them was a deferral. I passed one of them. Wouldn't that mean I only have to resit 30 credits worth of assignments
Also it is worth noting that I had 2 assignments for one of the modules (50% weighting each) and one of them was a deferral. I passed one of them. Wouldn't that mean I only have to resit 30 credits worth of assignments

Perhaps, but condonement is at the module level. And anyway, it can't be applied to required modules.
I know of a case in the year above me in the same course who was allowed to carry 2 modules over to second year for his third attempt

That's good news. Have you asked them the process they followed?
Reply 14
That's good news. Have you asked them the process they followed?

No I haven’t yet but I’m that’s my optimal outcome

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending