The Student Room Group

crippling exam anxiety

Hello, i have a university exam tomorrow although I felt prepared, the days leading up to this exam have left me physically crippled with anxiety. I no longer feel that I am in the right state to sit these exams. Every time I have thought about it, I've been driven to panic attacks. I've tried talking to my academic advisor but got no response. Is this a valid reason to submit to extenuating circumstances so i can resit in the summer uncapped when i have then got sufficient mental help?? i don't know what to do.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, i have a university exam tomorrow although I felt prepared, the days leading up to this exam have left me physically crippled with anxiety. I no longer feel that I am in the right state to sit these exams. Every time I have thought about it, I've been driven to panic attacks. I've tried talking to my academic advisor but got no response. Is this a valid reason to submit to extenuating circumstances so i can resit in the summer uncapped when i have then got sufficient mental help?? i don't know what to do.

Hey!
I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with anxiety leading up to your exam. I can definitely understand how stressful exams can be, and how anxiety can really impact our ability to perform well.

First off, it's great that you reached out to your academic advisor, but it's unfortunate that you didn't receive a response. I would recommend trying to get in touch with them again - perhaps sending a follow-up email or trying to schedule a meeting. If that doesn't work, you might want to consider reaching out to other support services on campus, such as the student health center or counseling services. They may be able to provide you with some strategies to manage your anxiety and help you prepare for the exam.

In terms of submitting to extenuating circumstances, it really depends on the policies of your university. Generally, extenuating circumstances are meant to be for situations that are beyond your control and prevent you from completing an assessment. Anxiety can certainly fall under that category, but it's important to check with your department or faculty to see what their policy is and what documentation they require.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to prioritize your mental health. If you feel that you're not in the right state to sit the exam, then it's important to listen to your body and take care of yourself. Resitting the exam in the summer uncapped may be a good option if that's what you need in order to feel more prepared and mentally healthy.

I hope this helps, and I wish you all the best in managing your anxiety and taking care of yourself during this challenging time.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest