The Student Room Group

Philosophy A-Level Self-Teaching Help

Philosophy A-Level Self-Teaching Help
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm doing the same thing in self-teaching, but I'll be taking the year after. I was thinking of emailing AQA to find out what they say. I have looked at the specification and they mention lots of texts to read, but I doubt we would have to read each and every book in and out, unlike English Lit where you would have to. I think it would be certain quotes in these texts more like instead of the whole thing. That's the only thing that concerns me because I don't want to just go out there and buy all these books when I don't have to and I already have a lot of reading to do with English Lit and also I work so I have a lot to do...

What other subjects are you taking? Are you planning on going to uni?
(edited 3 years ago)
I found this - https://www.aqa.org.uk/resources/philosophy/as-and-a-level/philosophy/teach/resource-list
yeh I’ve seen that book too and will probably buy it.
dont you think you’re taking on quite a lot with those subjects of yours?? :frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
I’m only doing subjects which I find interesting and can revise them for long periods of time without losing concentration. My ones are Philosophy, English lit and economics. I work full time and can go away on tour (army...) at anytime so need ones that I really enjoy and give minimal stress haha! I’m looking at universities in London only, King’s (preferred), UCL, LSE and QMUL and I’m looking at international relations
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Hannay(FTGI)
I’m only doing subjects which I find interesting and can revise them for long periods of time without losing concentration. My ones are Philosophy, English lit and economics. I work full time and can go away on tour (army...) at anytime so need ones that I really enjoy and give minimal stress haha! I’m looking at universities in London only, King’s (preferred), UCL, LSE and QMUL and I’m looking at international relations

What about you, which universities have you been looking at?
Yeh wow that would be amazing! You’d need some pretty high grades. My dream is kings because the course looks very good although I’d still take LSE, but the BSc doesn’t look as good and I may find it boring.

What do you think the best way is to revise for long periods of time?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
my notes are about 75% complete: https://alevelphilosophyblog.wordpress.com/
Original post by Joe312
my notes are about 75% complete: https://alevelphilosophyblog.wordpress.com/

Oh right, I’ll have a look in a bit. Why have you done that, because I’ve seen you’ve done it for various exam boards? Are you a tutor or something?
Reply 8
Oh right, I’ll have a look in a bit. Why have you done that, because I’ve seen you’ve done it for various exam boards? Are you a tutor or something?

I am indeed!
Original post by Joe312
I am indeed!

What do you do for work if you don’t mind me asking, or is this your full time job?
Reply 10
What do you do for work if you don’t mind me asking, or is this your full time job?

It's my full time job. No half measures!
Original post by Joe312
It's my full time job. No half measures!

What was your philosophy course like at king’s? Do you know much about IR or international development at king’s? I’m interested in either of those.
Reply 12
What was your philosophy course like at king’s? Do you know much about IR or international development at king’s? I’m interested in either of those.

I thought all the staff at the Philosophy dept were excellent. Don't know anything about other depts sadly!
Original post by Joe312
I thought all the staff at the Philosophy dept were excellent. Don't know anything about other depts sadly!

Decent! I’ve only heard good things about king’s, so it tops my list. Got any top tips for studying A-level philosophy?
Reply 14
Decent! I’ve only heard good things about king’s, so it tops my list. Got any top tips for studying A-level philosophy?

Yeah, study all year, practice essay writing and make sure you do everything in the mark scheme for the grade you want. Don't worry if you have times of delirious confusion where you wish you could give your brain a massage.
Original post by Joe312
Yeah, study all year, practice essay writing and make sure you do everything in the mark scheme for the grade you want. Don't worry if you have times of delirious confusion where you wish you could give your brain a massage.

Thanks. I’m going to buy me a textbook as well and see if that helps
Reply 16
Original post by Joe312

Hi there,
I know this was quite some time ago but I am thinking of taking AQA Philosophy I have heard it is quite difficult and would like to know how you are finding it, how long you revise for it on average etc.
Thank you in advance I appreciate all the advice I can get!
Reply 17
Original post by z33z
Hi there,
I know this was quite some time ago but I am thinking of taking AQA Philosophy I have heard it is quite difficult and would like to know how you are finding it, how long you revise for it on average etc.
Thank you in advance I appreciate all the advice I can get!

Well I finished the A level about 15 years ago actually. I'm a tutor now, that's where my advice comes from.

It is the hardest A level, however:

1- Universities recognize it as a top subject
2- You learn how to think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending