The Student Room Group

PLANE CRASH 189 DEAD: Brand new Boeng 737

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46014463

An Indonesian airliner has crashed into the sea with 189 people on board.
The Boeing 737, owned by the low-cost airline Lion Air, went down after taking off from the capital Jakarta.
Flight JT 610 was headed for the western city of Pangkal Pinang. Rescuers have recovered some bodies and personal items, including baby shoes.
There is no sign of survivors. The cause of the crash, which involved a plane that had been in operation since August, remains unclear.
The incident is reported to be the first major accident involving a Boeing 737 Max - an updated version of the 737.
"We need to find the main wreckage," said Bambang Suryo, operational director of the search and rescue agency. "I predict there are no survivors, based on body parts found so far.

Reply 1
Relatives of those on board are waiting anxiously for any news at a crisis centre at Jakarta's Halim Perdanakusuma airport, their faces stained with tears.

At a desk under a white tent, Lion Air staff are taking down their details. At the top of the forms, they are asked to specify their relationship to the missing - husband, mother, child.

Murtado Kurniawan's wife was on the plane. They are newly married and she was making the journey for work.

"I can't live without her, I love her," he says through tears. "The last thing I said to her, was 'be careful'. I always worry about her when she goes away. When I saw on TV that the plane had crashed, my whole body went weak."

Reply 2
Reply 3
My heart goes out to these families. So sad when some airlines take a chance on peoples lives and feel the profit will offset the bad press from deaths. Sure, they were cleared and approved in terms of safety, but bad habits run deep and this was black listed up until 2016.

Reply 4
Some interesting comments on aviation forums, mostly suggesting that the particular aircraft had been listed as having tech problems the day before, but for whatever reason allowed to fly today.

Some blaming the culture of LCCs.
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
Some interesting comments on aviation forums, mostly suggesting that the particular aircraft had been listed as having tech problems the day before, but for whatever reason allowed to fly today.

Some blaming the culture of LCCs.

Do you feel there is a difference between airliners such as Lion Air, who appear to have been blacklisted only up until the recent few years from flying in European airspace , in terms of how they manage these issues, and say, British Airways, Qatar, Emirates, and others of this caliber?
This is atrocious, planes should be checked several times to ensure safety of the passengers as well as ground life.
Reply 7
Original post by Oneiropólos
This is atrocious, planes should be checked several times to ensure safety of the passengers as well as ground life.

Absolutely. It is heart breaking, just looking at the images of devastated family members. Perhaps the young girl lost her father, and at the same time , the woman lost her husband and the elderly lady lost her son.

So sad. The pictures of the victims’ families are so heart wrenching:/ 😞
Reply 9
Original post by Tawheed
Do you feel there is a difference between airliners such as Lion Air, who appear to have been blacklisted only up until the recent few years from flying in European airspace , in terms of how they manage these issues, and say, British Airways, Qatar, Emirates, and others of this caliber?

Yes, hugely.

Though not as much of a difference between other low cost airlines.
BBC news stated the airline had a poor safety record and was banned from flying into Euro areospace.
Just heard about this. Can’t imagine what they are going through. Shame they let the plane fly
Even new aircraft need maintenance or did Boeing not tell them that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending