The Student Room Group

GCSE scores

Hello!

My school’s gcse data for 2017-2018 (in terms of attainment 8 score, progress 8, grade 9-4 in Eng&Maths, etc...) was all above national average.

However, the difference between national average than the school’s data isn’t very big.

Does this mean my school is doing pretty well or just ok? Thanks 🙏🏻
National average is all the schools results of GCSEs combined in one, last time I checked the National average was a C but I could be wrong, if your school is at a B or higher then it’s doing quite well I guess, don’t focus on that though, your schools quality doesn’t determine how well you do, good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Oneiropólos
National average is all the schools results of GCSEs combined in one, last time I checked the National average was a C but I could be wrong, if your school is at a B or higher then it’s doing quite well I guess, don’t focus on that though, your schools quality doesn’t determine how well you do, good luck

Thanks! I’m only in year 8 so I’m trying to find as much information about GCSEs as possible.
Reply 3
Original post by Oneiropólos

Also, I’m not sure what you mean by the average was a C.

The data is different I think. It’s things like attainment 8, progress 8, etc...
Reply 4
When you say the difference wasn't very big, I'd need to know what and how big before I answered the question. For instance, you might not think 0.5 is very big, but that's a really impressive Progress 8 score.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by LN05
Also, I’m not sure what you mean by the average was a C.

The data is different I think. It’s things like attainment 8, progress 8, etc...

Realistically, I think the National Averages are atrocious, I think atleast 90% of schools should be achieving atleast 100% 5 GCSES 9-4
Reply 6
Original post by M4cc4n4
Realistically, I think the National Averages are atrocious, I think atleast 90% of schools should be achieving atleast 100% 5 GCSES 9-4

Why? 100% is a tall order - even if you're ignoring special schools AND all other schools managed to educate all their students to that standard, a lot of schools will fail to achieve 100% because a student misses his/her exams for good reasons - meningitis, car crash, sectioned etc.
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
Why? 100% is a tall order - even if you're ignoring special schools AND all other schools managed to educate all their students to that standard, a lot of schools will fail to achieve 100% because a student misses his/her exams for good reasons - meningitis, car crash, sectioned etc.

There are cases for exemption for some students, realistically if we can't even teach students 5 basic subjects to a passing level how can we ever have a highly educated society
Reply 8
Original post by M4cc4n4

I believe that the average is only 62%?
Reply 9
Original post by M4cc4n4

I disagree as there are many outstanding schools which only achieve about 80-95%

Which is excellent

Quick Reply

Latest