The Student Room Group

how many gcses for medicine degree?

hi,

so currently i have 11 gcse's but im really struggling in one of them, and i may have to drop one of them.
the subject i want to drop is a coursework subject and im rlly bad at it and im quite behind (im in year 11 )
so is it better for me to have 10 GCSE's with A/A*/A** grades or have that extra 11th gcse and score a 6 if im lucky?

thanks
Reply 1
if u can drop it drop it. I did 12 and it killed me. Save the stress for a levels
Original post by kshaikhl19
hi,

so currently i have 11 gcse's but im really struggling in one of them, and i may have to drop one of them.
the subject i want to drop is a coursework subject and im rlly bad at it and im quite behind (im in year 11 )
so is it better for me to have 10 GCSE's with A/A*/A** grades or have that extra 11th gcse and score a 6 if im lucky?

thanks

Really depends which medical schools you apply to. If you apply to medical schools that don't score GCSEs and just have minimum scores for maths/English (e.g. Imperial, UCL) it doesn't matter how many you do.

If you apply to medical schools that score GCSEs and weight them heavily and do not have a cap on how many they score (e.g. Oxford), less of an idea situation. That said I think most other GCSE heavy medical schools (e.g. Cardiff) do only score your best X GCSEs (Cardiff caps out at 9, I think Birmingham only scores 8 in total but specifies which ones for some of those, etc) so probably less of an issue generally.

So sure, go ahead and drop it, unlikely to make a big difference!

Quick Reply

Latest