The Student Room Group

Aircraft take off distance calculation

Hello, is it possible to calculate the required distance of the runway needed for an aircraft to take off by simply knowing the speed in knots and averarge acceleration? this is the question

The take-off speed of an aeroplane is 78 knots. The average acceleration during take-off is a=1.7 m/s2. How long does the runway need to be in meters.

I feel like im missing variables like weight of the aircraft and lift and drag coef.
Thanks
Original post by hans00
Hello, is it possible to calculate the required distance of the runway needed for an aircraft to take off by simply knowing the speed in knots and averarge acceleration? this is the question

The take-off speed of an aeroplane is 78 knots. The average acceleration during take-off is a=1.7 m/s2. How long does the runway need to be in meters.

I feel like im missing variables like weight of the aircraft and lift and drag coef.
Thanks

This isn't a subject I've studied but take-off speed implies, to me atleast, itself to be the speed at which an aircraft will take off. If this is the case then it is just a problem using the equations of motion. Do you have any notes saying what take-off speed is?
Reply 2
Original post by Goz Unlimited
This isn't a subject I've studied but take-off speed implies, to me atleast, itself to be the speed at which an aircraft will take off. If this is the case then it is just a problem using the equations of motion. Do you have any notes saying what take-off speed is?

Afraid not, this was a question on a tutorial sheet for a lecture that i missed, as far as take of speed im guessing converting the 78 knots into regular kph which is 144.456 km/h would act as the speed it takes off.
Original post by hans00
Afraid not, this was a question on a tutorial sheet for a lecture that i missed, as far as take of speed im guessing converting the 78 knots into regular kph which is 144.456 km/h would act as the speed it takes off.

I would believe it to be a simple equation of motion (suvat) problem then. You have the speed at which it will take off and the acceleration on the runway. Like you say, convert the speed and acc to the same units for the calculation and you should be able to work towards the distance of the runway.
It's a simple suvat problem, the weight and lift-drag, etc. would affect the take-off speed so they can't be variable if you're given a fixed speed.

Quick Reply

Latest