The Student Room Group

What GCSE AM I EVEN DOING?

Doing the AQA design and technology GCSE

applying to sixth forms

i can choose that my GCSE is either product design, resistant materials or graphic products ?

looking on the aqa website and anywhere else it is only classified as GCSE design and technology - which one is it ? is it none of them ? helpppppppp
Reply 1
It might be the same paper for each type of DT. Could you give me a brief outline of what you've actually studied? (Surely it should be obvious?)
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/design-and-technology/gcse/design-and-technology-8552
Here’s a link to the GCSE design and technology course for AQA. You may have been looking under the art and design category.
Original post by Sinnoh
It might be the same paper for each type of DT. Could you give me a brief outline of what you've actually studied? (Surely it should be obvious?)

that's the thing
its really obscure
Currently doing an NEA where we design and end up with a final prototype of a product
my teacher says we are doing a combined course but I've got no clue as to what she means and we've had a bit of teacher drama over our GCSE period
we have a 2hr exam for the other 50% of our GCSE, its odd because we almost do elements of all of this. We cover manufacturing techniques and types of materials, iterative design processes and things such as isometric drawings and simple maths problems.

I'm not being stupid even though it kinda sounds like it xdddd
Reply 4
Original post by well.its.stella
that's the thing
its really obscure
Currently doing an NEA where we design and end up with a final prototype of a product
my teacher says we are doing a combined course but I've got no clue as to what she means and we've had a bit of teacher drama over our GCSE period
we have a 2hr exam for the other 50% of our GCSE, its odd because we almost do elements of all of this. We cover manufacturing techniques and types of materials, iterative design processes and things such as isometric drawings and simple maths problems.

I'm not being stupid even though it kinda sounds like it xdddd

So looks like the new AQA DT GCSE for assessment in 2019 has only one option. Other exam boards might have those options (OCR had Product Design, I did that) and they were probably around in the old A*-G specification.
If the 6th form you're applying to hasn't got just Design & Technology as a GCSE option (are you filling it in online?) then it's their fault for not keeping up with the times.
Original post by well.its.stella
Doing the AQA design and technology GCSE

applying to sixth forms

i can choose that my GCSE is either product design, resistant materials or graphic products ?

looking on the aqa website and anywhere else it is only classified as GCSE design and technology - which one is it ? is it none of them ? helpppppppp

Is there an option where you can add comments / write out or type in a custom GCSE that might not fit in with their options?
Original post by Sinnoh
So looks like the new AQA DT GCSE for assessment in 2019 has only one option. Other exam boards might have those options (OCR had Product Design, I did that) and they were probably around in the old A*-G specification.
If the 6th form you're applying to hasn't got just Design & Technology as a GCSE option (are you filling it in online?) then it's their fault for not keeping up with the times.

Think you're bang on the money. I will just put product design but seen as it doesn't matter what i put anyway because its not there, I'm not too bothered- as long as i put DT :wink:. I will not be going in to any subjects requiring this grade anyway.
Reply 7
Do you happen to know what the overall percentage you need to get to pass d&t (I follow the award board)
Reply 8
The options you were given are out of date and refer to the GCSEs that were examined for the last time in 2018. You are doing DT.
Reply 9
Original post by _xikyx_
Do you happen to know what the overall percentage you need to get to pass d&t (I follow the award board)

No diea what you mean by 'award board' but it won't be decided for any exam board until after everything has been marked in the Summer.

Quick Reply

Latest