The Student Room Group

Will my french grade affect my chance of getting into medical school?

I got 9998887753 in my GCSEs (98 in science, 9 in literature 9 in language and a 7 in maths) but a 3 in French. I am also doing very well in my A-levels and have lots of work experience and skills learned. How much will that French grade affect my chances of getting into medical school?
Reply 1
Original post by evemcelr12
I got 9998887753 in my GCSEs (98 in science, 9 in literature 9 in language and a 7 in maths) but a 3 in French. I am also doing very well in my A-levels and have lots of work experience and skills learned. How much will that French grade affect my chances of getting into medical school?

I would say you should check any unis that you want to go to specifically (or check them all if you want), what I mean is check their GCSE grade requirements. Some of them may say that they want a minimum of 6 in all subjects, some of them may say they don't care about GCSE grades at all. All that matters is that you choose the one which will not care, so the answer is for some unis it will affect your chances and for some it won't. If it seems that there is not enough unis that don't care, or that you really don't like any of the ones that are available to you, you can always retake the GCSE!
Hello, thanks for your reply. All of the unis I want to go to, I fit the GCSE requirements for, and I haven't really seen any unis that need a certain grade in ALL subjects, also the unis I want to apply to need about 6-8 pass GCSES (which i have) and just english science and maths in top grades.
What I am really worried about is more so to what extent (even if i fit gcse requirements) it will make my application look less appealing, despite being good in every other corner.
Reply 3
Original post by evemcelr12
Hello, thanks for your reply. All of the unis I want to go to, I fit the GCSE requirements for, and I haven't really seen any unis that need a certain grade in ALL subjects, also the unis I want to apply to need about 6-8 pass GCSES (which i have) and just english science and maths in top grades.
What I am really worried about is more so to what extent (even if i fit gcse requirements) it will make my application look less appealing, despite being good in every other corner.

If you don't mind could you list some of these universities? I am in year 13 and here's what I gathered. Practically all universities at London look purely at your UCAT and therefore your GCSE grades shouldn't make much of a difference. If you go to a good secondary school I would be careful with universities that consider your grades compared to your school as one of the criteria for inviting you for an interview. For example if you look at Kent university https://kmms.ac.uk/entry-requirements-2024/#:~:text=Our%20standard%20conditional%20offer%20for,General%20Studies%20are%20not%20accepted. You can see that in stage 2b they contextualise you to your school. So I would say be wary of universities like this and focus on those who look at purely UCAT.
In conclusion I would recommend once UCAT season starts, to very much focus getting a really good score since that is what will get you into med:smile:
Thank you so much for your replies! I am thinking of Southampton, Bristol, Exeter and not any london ones as it is quite expensive and I am interested in a campus uni.. and will look up some non russel group unis too. As you would see on the websites I fit all the GCSE requirements quite well. Also my school is a state school but it obtains good GCSE grades, however i would be included in the top grades if that makes sense? I am very happy with my GCSE results it is just my French grade I am worried will make my application weaker even though I am quite strong in all other areas. Also good luck with your A levels (or equivalent)!

Quick Reply

Latest