The Student Room Group

Retaking GCSES

I’ve been thinking of retaking my science gcses in may 2024 but will I be able to do bio A level in sixth form? Even I have to stay back a year or something. I am in year 12 right now and really want to do bio.
Original post by celesixe
I’ve been thinking of retaking my science gcses in may 2024 but will I be able to do bio A level in sixth form? Even I have to stay back a year or something. I am in year 12 right now and really want to do bio.

You're asking, "will I be able to do bio A level in sixth form?

Do you have GCSE Biology, or GCSE Combined Science? At what grade? Does you current sixth form have a GCSE grade requirement to study A level Biology? Have you met that grade requirement?

Does your current sixth form just teach level 3 qualifications (A levels, BTECs, etc.) or do they also do GCSE resits?

Your question is best directed at your current sixth form, as they all vary.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You're asking, "will I be able to do bio A level in sixth form?

Do you have GCSE Biology, or GCSE Combined Science? At what grade? Does you current sixth form have a GCSE grade requirement to study A level Biology? Have you met that grade requirement?

Does your current sixth form just teach level 3 qualifications (A levels, BTECs, etc.) or do they also do GCSE resits?

Your question is best directed at your current sixth form, as they all vary.

I didn’t achieve the required grade for biology in my gcses, and I am thinking if resitting my science gcses (triple) again. If I do redo it, does that mean I still have an opportunity to do bio a level with my new gcse grade or am I stuck with the ones I’m doing now and cannot do Biology A level ever?
Original post by celesixe
I didn’t achieve the required grade for biology in my gcses, and I am thinking if resitting my science gcses (triple) again. If I do redo it, does that mean I still have an opportunity to do bio a level with my new gcse grade or am I stuck with the ones I’m doing now and cannot do Biology A level ever?

The rule that you have to hit a particular grade in GCSE Biology in order to be allowed to study A level Biology has been invented by your sixth form, so only they can tell you what their resit policy is. However, I would be very surprised if you were not able to study A level Biology if you meet the required GCSE grade following a resit.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
The rule that you have to hit a particular grade in GCSE Biology in order to be allowed to study A level Biology has been invented by your sixth form, so only they can tell you what their resit policy is. However, I would be very surprised if you were not able to study A level Biology if you meet the required GCSE grade following a resit.

Does that mean i CAN be able to do a level bio if i get the achieved grades for my gcse resit?

Quick Reply

Latest