The Student Room Group

where did you buy your prom dress? 👗

I was wondering where you all bought your prom dresses.... Im struggling to find non tacky ones anywhere online and also do t want to be wearing the same dress as everyone else... any suggestions of more independent boutiques good shops to visit?(near London)

Scroll to see replies

BooHoo is amazing! I got my dress for £25 and it was beautiful! Floor length, with a swishy skirt and very unique. :smile:
Original post by BeccaSheridan02
BooHoo is amazing! I got my dress for £25 and it was beautiful! Floor length, with a swishy skirt and very unique. :smile:

thanks I'll take a look :smile:
Original post by dancesingact
I was wondering where you all bought your prom dresses.... Im struggling to find non tacky ones anywhere online and also do t want to be wearing the same dress as everyone else... any suggestions of more independent boutiques good shops to visit?(near London)

In my imagination (I didn't go to prom) but I have seen this shop in passing and the dresses looked lovel https://soniquedresses.co.uk/ (it's in Birmingham not sure if there are any others nationally).
Reply 4
My prom dress came from a charity shop and it was gorgeous. 1930s vintage evening dress. If you want a unique dress, have a look around charity and vintage shops. Avoid sites like boohoo. If you know anything about clothes, you'll know that at anything other than a brief glance they look cheap. And they are usually made in sweatshops from poor quality materials.
Original post by lavender_rose
In my imagination (I didn't go to prom) but I have seen this shop in passing and the dresses looked lovel https://soniquedresses.co.uk/ (it's in Birmingham not sure if there are any others nationally).

you from Birmingham?
Original post by I'mComingOxford
you from Birmingham?

Yup, you alright bab! (sorry couldn't help it)
I bought mine from ASOS online - cheap and actually had options short enough for me (I'm too short to buy the clothes in most shops...). Some of the dresses aren't great, but I ordered and tried a couple of nice ones and I really love the one I ended up with!
I bought mine only for prom (from Littlewoods) and then returned it :teehee:
Original post by lavender_rose
Yup, you alright bab! (sorry couldn't help it)

oo. nice to see someone from Birmingham on this site :smile:
Right back at you (wait i'm assuming your a Brummie too?)
Original post by katf
My prom dress came from a charity shop and it was gorgeous. 1930s vintage evening dress. If you want a unique dress, have a look around charity and vintage shops. Avoid sites like boohoo. If you know anything about clothes, you'll know that at anything other than a brief glance they look cheap. And they are usually made in sweatshops from poor quality materials.

thanks places like boohoo etc were what I was trying to avoid but I wanted to take on board everyone's advice :smile: I think you're right though about looking for a nice one second hand so I'll do some investigating😂 otherwise I might look into renting one but the problem is you can't get them altered
Original post by ToffeeJoy
I bought mine from ASOS online - cheap and actually had options short enough for me (I'm too short to buy the clothes in most shops...). Some of the dresses aren't great, but I ordered and tried a couple of nice ones and I really love the one I ended up with!

I ordered 4 from there the other day to get an idea of what colour I would want and style etc and the ones I got were awful (like really really cheap looking- and the price wasn't even that low)😂😂 but I know alot of people get theirs from ASOS and most look good online.
I ordered 4 from there the other day to get an idea of what colour I would want and style etc and the ones I got were awful (like really really cheap looking- and the price wasn't even that low)😂😂 but I know alot of people get theirs from ASOS and most look good online.

Ah, that sucks. I guess their stock must very quite a lot. Hope you.find something nice elsewhere!
I got mine from either house of Fraser or Debenhams (they look the same to me:facepalm:); they had a closing down sale just before my prom so it was v cheap:laugh:
Mia Belle Baby has an amazing clothing line. I purchased my prom dress from here with $30. Everyone at the party praised me for my dress. You can go with this store if you want to be unique and elegant. :wink::tongue:
Debenhams they have a surprisingly good selection. Or go to an outlet store such as downtown wher there are just loads of prom dresses for really cheap. It’s a bit potluck there tho
I got mine from Quiz in the sale they had recently - good prices too!
debenhams

Definitely go charity/vintage, especially if you are thinking about having alterations done - with a bit of imagination you can have something classic, stylish stunning and unique at a price that won't break the bank!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending