The Student Room Group

Sit GCSEs next week, tips to stop procrastinating?

i cant stop procrastinating and i dont know why. i sit my gcses next week and i just cant stop putting off my revision. i have done a fair bit of revision before, still procrastinated a bit but got what i needed to done, but now all of a sudden the willpower has just gone. i try telling myself i'll get up at a decent time in the morning and start reasonably early (like 10:00). it's now 20:00 and i've done nothing. i should be fine for most of my subjects but it's just english lit i'm worried about (i need at least a 6 to get into the sixth form i want to go to and im terrified i wont get it). and it's not just schoolwork; i need to find a prom dress. keep putting that off. i need to buy more clothes as i don't have many. keep putting that off. i need to message someone about an event that's happening in a week's time. i put it off until the morning of the day. i just can't stop. i think it's linked to me just feeling overwhelmed and i don't want to do anything that will require a lot of time or effort (i'm a bit socially anxious which is why i put off messaging people), however obviously ironically this just makes it worse because then i have to do more in a shorter space of time which makes me even more stressed. i am also very easily distracted. before in case anyone suggests it, i am in therapy already but this isn't helping (and we can't afford for me to go anywhere else). i just want to know if there's anyone else who's similar and has any tips or hacks to get it under control, like a routine they followed or something they kept telling themself to force them to do it (iykwim)? thank you!
Original post by user01906002
i cant stop procrastinating and i dont know why. i sit my gcses next week and i just cant stop putting off my revision. i have done a fair bit of revision before, still procrastinated a bit but got what i needed to done, but now all of a sudden the willpower has just gone. i try telling myself i'll get up at a decent time in the morning and start reasonably early (like 10:00). it's now 20:00 and i've done nothing. i should be fine for most of my subjects but it's just english lit i'm worried about (i need at least a 6 to get into the sixth form i want to go to and im terrified i wont get it). and it's not just schoolwork; i need to find a prom dress. keep putting that off. i need to buy more clothes as i don't have many. keep putting that off. i need to message someone about an event that's happening in a week's time. i put it off until the morning of the day. i just can't stop. i think it's linked to me just feeling overwhelmed and i don't want to do anything that will require a lot of time or effort (i'm a bit socially anxious which is why i put off messaging people), however obviously ironically this just makes it worse because then i have to do more in a shorter space of time which makes me even more stressed. i am also very easily distracted. before in case anyone suggests it, i am in therapy already but this isn't helping (and we can't afford for me to go anywhere else). i just want to know if there's anyone else who's similar and has any tips or hacks to get it under control, like a routine they followed or something they kept telling themself to force them to do it (iykwim)? thank you!

I completely understand where you're coming from and felt like I was in the same position especially when I sat my gcses. I know everything can get so overwhelming and you feel as if there is so much to do but so little time so much so that you end up getting barely anything done.

But the important thing to remember is that you have to look after yourself because it's not worth putting yourself through so much at one if it's going to have a toll on you mentally.

I would personally advise you to take it one day at a time and try and focus on your priorities. Make a list with everything you need to get done and order them by highest importance to lowest. Then write yourself a smaller checklist on a whiteboard or similar consisting of a few things to do starting with the hardest task. This way you can target the tasks but prevent getting overwhelmed quickly and you won't burn all your energy doing the easier tasks leaving the difficult ones for later.

Most importantly though, it's so important to make sure that you're ok so take time out for yourself and do something that you enjoy. Personally I love going outside because fresh air helps me or something simple like getting a coffee.

I hope these tips help and you're able to find a way to focus your energy positively :smile:
Reply 2

I'm like this, but I then I downloaded Flora and found that it really helped me to begin revising more mainly because of my competitive nature. Not sure if it is 100% effective, but I quite like it.

I've also had friends tell me that they like to time-lapse themselves or just go on calls whilst they revise to prevent them from getting distracted.

But don't forget that at the end of the day, your exams don't define you, and in order to do your best, you need to prioritise yourself first. :smile:

I'm not sure how helpful this advice will be but I would try just working for 25 minutes on something. It may help you starting off to give you motivation after. If it does work you can try using the pomodoro method (25 mins working / 5 minutes rest, repeat x4 then you earn a longer break).

Quick Reply

Latest