The Student Room Group

Should I go to prom?

I have absolutely no interest in going to prom and I’m actually pretty scared of the idea of going. I don’t like social situations at all and I only have one friend and want to leave school ASAP. One of my parents is telling me I should go or I’ll regret it and the other says there’s no point in me going and I should just do what I want. In regards to my friend, we almost always stay as a duo and originally we were both slightly leaning more towards not going and just doing something fun together but now I really don’t want to go and she now really wants to go. Idk if I should go with her or just do something fun myself. Any advice is appreciated.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have absolutely no interest in going to prom and I’m actually pretty scared of the idea of going. I don’t like social situations at all and I only have one friend and want to leave school ASAP. One of my parents is telling me I should go or I’ll regret it and the other says there’s no point in me going and I should just do what I want. In regards to my friend, we almost always stay as a duo and originally we were both slightly leaning more towards not going and just doing something fun together but now I really don’t want to go and she now really wants to go. Idk if I should go with her or just do something fun myself. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi,
Personally I wasn't sure if to go to prom at the end of S6 but I didn't want to regret not going and in the end I went. If you have a slight incling to go then I would say that it is nice to go. You have made it through secondary and it is an event that sort of marks the end and it is nice to mark it.
If your friend is going and you think you would be comfortable with them, I would suggest meeting together beforehand and going together. That way you have a friend and can make the prom what you want it to be. You can sort of make the day of it by having fun and even decide to do something after or make sure you know how your getting home so if you do end up not enjoying it you can leave when you want.
Some love getting all dressed up and some do spend a lot. Personally, I didn't spend that much - I wore a dress that I liked how I felt in it and was happy with how it was. They also usually have a meal with seating plan where you can usually say if there are people you want to sit with - that way you could be with your friend.
Hopefully whether you choose to go or not you will get to celebrate finishing secondary and best wishes for the final few months.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Reply 2
If you're really not feeling it then there should be no problem not going and your friend should understand your reluctance.
You two might not be able to spend prom together doing your own thing since she seems excited to go but maybe talk to her about it and express your feelings, maybe she'll express hers and you could have a new viewpoint.

The most important thing is that you respect each other, your comfort, and her wants.

Maybe you could consider tagging along to prom but not having to involve yourself in the social discussion, just stick to your pal and you can do the "something fun together", just indoors.

The above comment has got some dandy words 🙌
(edited 2 months ago)
I would not go after what you told, but if your friend decided to go to the prom and you are keen on her, it is perhaps the best for you to change the mind too.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4

You should go. It’s better to regret things we have done than regret not doing things.

Go to your prom.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending