The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes it is fair. This is a stupid idea to ban them.
It is a tricky issue because those who can't afford them do miss out. However if it wasn't for my GCSE English and Maths tutor, my dyslexia would have stopped me passing those subjects. And then when I did A levels I was really ill for Y12 and knew I wouldn't be able to learn all the biology course on my own so I saw a bio tutor once a week who guided me through everything.

For students who do struggle academically or with confidence I think they can be invaluable and I know I wouldn't be where I am academically now without them
No different from going to private school imho. It's a more affordable way for state school pupils to ''even out'' the advantage private school children have
I would ban private tutors and make the government fund extra tuition for those that need AND want it. Everyone should have the option to them and not just those than can afford, what I assume, are high tutor charges.
Even if it’s banned, what’s to stop people just doing it anyway?
In my experience only the wealthy can afford private tutoring, a few classmates of mine back at GCSE had tutors all around the board, for every subject almost, I never needed one but there were people who did need them and couldn’t afford them, I feel everyone should be entitled to tutoring provided by the school, but it will never be as good because one to one tutoring is very expensive and is only optimal when it is one to one.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Guru Jason
I would ban private tutors and make the government fund extra tuition for those that need AND want it. Everyone should have the option to them and not just those than can afford, what I assume, are high tutor charges.

Given that we don't even seem to have enough money to fund schools, I seriously doubt that the government is going to fund extra tuition for every child who wants it.

There are some forms of advantage that you just can't eliminate. Private tutoring is one of them. Even if you ban the websites/organisations that advertise them, maths students will still tutor the children of their parents' friends. And some parents will have degrees and be able to tutor their children themselves - my parents tutored me for 2 years before I took the 11+.

Besides, this is a free market - you can't just ban people from using their skills to provide a legitimate service.
If your parents can afford it...
I'm from india.....In india......teachers don't teach students properly......in schools,colleges,universities......whereever it is......so we need to depend on private tutors.....if private tutors get banned....then students will also get banned.....(only for india ,uk is a great country,I've no quality to judge you guys)
Original post by Professor Oak

When you say boost.. do you mean the tutors sit the exams for the students?

Thought not - the students are sitting the exams so why is there a need for a race to the bottom? Need to be doing all we can to improve students across the board, not try and bring others down in a misguided attempt for "fairness".
Reply 11
It's an interesting discussion but the thread title is silly and it doesn't relate to the OP or poll. You can't ban private tutors :rolleyes:
Original post by LeapingLucy
Given that we don't even seem to have enough money to fund schools, I seriously doubt that the government is going to fund extra tuition for every child who wants it.

There are some forms of advantage that you just can't eliminate. Private tutoring is one of them. Even if you ban the websites/organisations that advertise them, maths students will still tutor the children of their parents' friends. And some parents will have degrees and be able to tutor their children themselves - my parents tutored me for 2 years before I took the 11+.

Besides, this is a free market - you can't just ban people from using their skills to provide a legitimate service.

I know the gov doesn't have money but since has that stopped them from finding money when they need it. Besides we gonna get dat extra 350 million a week after brexit, or so we we were sold, so use that.

If Jeremy ever becomes prime minister, he might have some ideas on restrictions of free markets. Let him have a crack at it I say.
I dont think we should be banning personal tutors :/
In some cultures its almost the 'norm' to actually have one, I knew many people who used private tutoring. I used to have private tutoring with maths back in year 7/8 because I was looking into next year's work and needed someone to guide me through since the teacher had no time on his hands.

Private tutors are a choice, personally I think if somone is struggling with a subject then by all means, they should get a private tutor especially if your teachers are unavailable or busy.
Original post by Notnek
It's an interesting discussion but the thread title is silly and it doesn't relate to the OP or poll. You can't ban private tutors :rolleyes:

Bingo, this just sounds childish so can't take it seriously. Totally impractical thing to try and ban, to say nothing of the fact that parents also tutor, love to see someones proposals for banning that :rolleyes:
Original post by Guru Jason
I know the gov doesn't have money but since has that stopped them from finding money when they need it. Besides we gonna get dat extra 350 million a week after brexit, or so we we were sold, so use that.

If Jeremy ever becomes prime minister, he might have some ideas on restrictions of free markets. Let him have a crack at it I say.

A) The £350 million a week figure was a lie. Anyone with half a brain knows that. It's definitely not something on which to build policy ideas. Besides, once our economy crashes post-Brexit any money we did send to the EU as net contributors will vanish into the ether.

B) Jeremy Corbyn has other educational priorities. He wants to give the middle classes a huge subsidy through abolishing tuition fees. That is going to cost £100 billion by the Labour Party's own admission. How much do you think is going to be left over for your "free tutoring for all" wishful thinking? The tuition fees pledge will wipe out the entirety of the Education Department's discretional budget.
Original post by StriderHort
Bingo, this just sounds childish so can't take it seriously. Totally impractical thing to try and ban, to say nothing of the fact that parents also tutor, love to see someones proposals for banning that :rolleyes:

Original post by Notnek

Agree it's a bit over the top. But wealth influencing educational/career achievement is tricky issue to tackle in public policy. Impractical things are sometimes still worth discussing!

Edited the OP a little, hope it's clearer now (point of the poll is to see how many people use private tutors, the discussion is for whether people think it's ok or not).
Reply 17
How will that even be implemented?
If your parents can afford it...

Private tution is affordable to most parents, it's only £20-£30 a week for a lesson. My mum owned her own house and raised me as a single parent in the north of england and if she could afford it anybody could
This tutoring site says 1 in 4 students use private tutoring to boost their grades.

Is that fair to students who can't afford it? Should private tutors be banned?

Don’t we as parents work hard in life to give our children the best chance? Giving your child every advantage is called good parenting. There are enough gems that spring up for truly deprived backgrounds to prove money isn’t an issue, it’s mentality.

Latest

Trending

Trending