The Student Room Group

How much to charge for private tutoring? 17yo

Hi! To support my university application, since October I've been tutoring three girls (two at GCSE level, one in year 9) for four hours a week. Having gotten straight 9s in my GCSEs, I charge £10/hour, which I thought was reasonable. Now my parents are suggesting I charge £15-20 in the new year, as this is the standard rate for private tutoring (?), and as I am now 17 and am learning to drive, the money is to go towards paying for lessons. I'm hesitant, as I only plan to do it until summer 2024, they travel to my house and I mainly use resources that they could access online. Am I selling myself short? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by emilyjones_542
Hi! To support my university application, since October I've been tutoring three girls (two at GCSE level, one in year 9) for four hours a week. Having gotten straight 9s in my GCSEs, I charge £10/hour, which I thought was reasonable. Now my parents are suggesting I charge £15-20 in the new year, as this is the standard rate for private tutoring (?), and as I am now 17 and am learning to drive, the money is to go towards paying for lessons. I'm hesitant, as I only plan to do it until summer 2024, they travel to my house and I mainly use resources that they could access online. Am I selling myself short? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I presume as your 17 your not fully qualified with the official tutoring qualifications id say £10 an hour is more than enough, as i presume those that charge more have higher qualifications
Reply 2
Original post by emilyjones_542

Hi Emily! I used to do a lot of tutoring, but toned it down this academic year. I got straight 9's at GCSE as well, and I charged £20-25 an hour. I based it on that fact that fully qualified professional private tutors are now absolute minimum charging £40 per hour in my area. Basically look at what professional tutors are charging and then don't over shoot it. Personally I think you should be charging more than £10, it's ok to ask for more money, especially if that is what you need in order to pay for your driving lessons. Be sure to stand up for your worth and value. Good luck with it (and the driving!)

Quick Reply

Latest