The Student Room Group

The 2019 A-level physics study group

Welcome to the A-level Physics Study Group:party2:
Physics is regarded as one of the trickiest a-levels so we thought we'd have a thread for all the year 12s and 13s taking physics. Here you can get help with any physics questions you have or just chat about it:grin:
You can ask questions here or in the physics forum

Here are some resources we've gathered- if you've got any suggestions please let me know!:yep:

Specifications

Other resources

This thread is for anything physics, but to start off discussion, try answering some of these questions:
Which exam board are you doing?
Have you done any practicals yet?
Are you being entered in for any exams this year?
What's been your favourite topic so far?
What's been challenging in physics so far?
What do you want to study at uni?

Me, I'm doing ocr b physics, have done some practicals (though only two pags:smile:), am not doing any exams this year, we looked a bit at polarisation (I liked playing with the filters:gah:), have struggled with exam technique:frown: and don't know what I want to do at uni:eek:

Good luck everyone:hugs:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi.

I am doing maths,physics,chem and economics

I am not doing practicals. I am struggling with nuclear decay, and eclectromagnetism.
Doing AQA a level physics. Done at least half of my practicals (I’m in yr 13) and I’m ******** myself bc damn physics is hard and I’m not readyZ
im in year 12 doing edexcel physics and also studying chemistry, maths, further maths and german
Reply 4
Original post by romemorris
Hi.

I am doing maths,physics,chem and economics

I am not doing practicals. I am struggling with nuclear decay, and eclectromagnetism.

Good luck!:smile:
Which year are you in?

Original post by Alayna1234
Doing AQA a level physics. Done at least half of my practicals (I’m in yr 13) and I’m ******** myself bc damn physics is hard and I’m not readyZ

Best of luck:smile:
What’s your favourite topic in physics?
Original post by Mikolaj1109
im in year 12 doing edexcel physics and also studying chemistry, maths, further maths and german

That’s a lot:gasp: good luck:smile:
What’s been your favourite thing in physics so far?
Original post by Toastiekid
That’s a lot:gasp: good luck:smile:
What’s been your favourite thing in physics so far?

I think literally just astrophysics. The other topics are enjoyable if I can actually do them really well but astrophysics is the only topic I enjoy
Good luck:smile: Which year are you in?

I am in year 13.

Welcome to the A-level Physics Study Group:party2:
Physics is regarded as one of the trickiest a-levels so we thought we'd have a thread for all the year 12s and 13s taking physics. Here you can get help with any physics questions you have or just chat about it:grin:
You can ask questions here or in the physics forum

Here are some resources we've gathered- if you've got any suggestions please let me know!:yep:

Specifications

Other resources

This thread is for anything physics, but to start off discussion, try answering some of these questions:
Which exam board are you doing?
Have you done any practicals yet?
Are you being entered in for any exams this year?
What's been your favourite topic so far?
What's been challenging in physics so far?
What do you want to study at uni?

Me, I'm doing ocr b physics, have done some practicals (though only two pags:smile:), am not doing any exams this year, we looked a bit at polarisation (I liked playing with the filters:gah:), have struggled with exam technique:frown: and don't know what I want to do at uni:eek:

Good luck everyone:hugs:

Hi I am currently doing Edexcel Physics. Done most of the practicals already. Will be doing the A level this year for Chemistry maths physics and Chinese. My favourite topic is Mechanics, the most challenging topic is particle physics. I have applied for aerospace engineering in unis.
Reply 8
Original post by Alayna1234
I think literally just astrophysics. The other topics are enjoyable if I can actually do them really well but astrophysics is the only topic I enjoy

:gah: I can’t wait to do astrophysics (am in year 12 so we’ve pretty much just recapped gcse stuff and done waves:frown:)
At least you enjoy something:lol:
Reply 9
Original post by curtischu1207
Hi I am currently doing Edexcel Physics. Done most of the practicals already. Will be doing the A level this year for Chemistry maths physics and Chinese. My favourite topic is Mechanics, the most challenging topic is particle physics. I have applied for aerospace engineering in unis.

Good luck:smile:
I forgot mechanics is a part of physics:facepalm: I’ve only done it in maths:colondollar:
Best of luck with the uni apps:wink:
Hi, I'm in year 12 doing AS Physics under the CIE exam board. I haven't done any practicals as yet. I've only completed Mechanics so far but what I can remember from what is my favourite topic in pre-A levels day is Thermal Physics. Dynamics have been challenging so far, still is. I study Further Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry also. I want to study either Biomedical Sciences or Biochemistry in university then go on to study Medicine in my graduate years.
Hi there,
I'm doing aqa physics and I'm in year 12.
Most things have been challenging specifically waves, although part of that is one of my teachers being bad and therefore making it seem complicated so i definitely need to revise it.
I just finished electricity and quite liked it, and found it easiest so far, so it's my favourite, although I do electronics though so it helped with parts of it.
I'd like to do engineering at uni, either in Computer science/IT area although I may do one involving physics and maths instead or even involving a combination of them
Hey guys I'm a Y13 student doing physics, chemistry and maths, I previously tried Fmaths but it was insane so I dropped it.
Yes we've been doing one practical a week and they are super fun.
My favourite topics are Gravitaion and Electric Fields and I know most people may disagree but for some reasons I find it easy to visualise them. I hate electricity and circuits but I don't know the reason, I just don't like it. Magnetic fields is okay but I find the exam questions pretty nasty. Y12 physics is alright. I like Y13 physics more though
I want to study Physics with Advanced Research at Strathclyde but my parents want me to go to St. Andrews. The research aspect at Strathclyde is really attractive and I want to work at CERN in Switzerland as a research physicist. Sadly Oxford and Cambridge are out of my league, so are most girls around me :frown::frown::frown:
Reply 13
Hello, I'm in year 12 doing edexcel physics. I've done either 2 or 3 core practicals. I'm also studying maths, further maths, and computer science. We've only done motion and waves units but of those two waves is probably my favourite. I'm not sure what I want to do at uni, but at the moment I'm considering computer science.
Hi. I'm doing aqa Physics and so far have done countless practicals. I'm doing AS this year and my favourite topic so far is materials.
I find it very hard to accept how light can be both a wave and a particle [how can you visualise a particle having a frequency].
I want to study maths.
Original post by ChillDawg
Hey guys I'm a Y13 student doing physics, chemistry and maths, I previously tried Fmaths but it was insane so I dropped it.
Yes we've been doing one practical a week and they are super fun.
My favourite topics are Gravitaion and Electric Fields and I know most people may disagree but for some reasons I find it easy to visualise them. I hate electricity and circuits but I don't know the reason, I just don't like it. Magnetic fields is okay but I find the exam questions pretty nasty. Y12 physics is alright. I like Y13 physics more though
I want to study Physics with Advanced Research at Strathclyde but my parents want me to go to St. Andrews. The research aspect at Strathclyde is really attractive and I want to work at CERN in Switzerland as a research physicist. Sadly Oxford and Cambridge are out of my league, so are most girls around me :frown::frown::frown:

It seems that you are a female student. Girls hate electric circuits for reasons that are unknown to me, too. :smile:
Original post by Aaysh
Hi. I'm doing aqa Physics and so far have done countless practicals. I'm doing AS this year and my favourite topic so far is materials.
I find it very hard to accept how light can be both a wave and a particle [how can you visualise a particle having a frequency].
I want to study maths.

Indeed, it is hard to understand quantum mechanics. Don't try to understand or visualize quantum mechanics the way you understand or visualize mechanics. It doesn't work and you will be frustrated.
Original post by Iahmed512
Hi there,
I'm doing aqa physics and I'm in year 12.
Most things have been challenging specifically waves, although part of that is one of my teachers being bad and therefore making it seem complicated so i definitely need to revise it.
I just finished electricity and quite liked it, and found it easiest so far, so it's my favourite, although I do electronics though so it helped with parts of it.
I'd like to do engineering at uni, either in Computer science/IT area although I may do one involving physics and maths instead or even involving a combination of them

Wave, superposition, interference, and diffraction can be pretty challenging. There are some concepts that are pretty hard to grasp at A-level. Sometimes, smart students may not also understand some of the fundamental concepts but they can do the calculation.
Original post by Eimmanuel
It seems that you are a female student. Girls hate electric circuits for reasons that are unknown to me, too. :smile:

Nah I’m a guy
Original post by ChillDawg
Nah I’m a guy

lol :smile:

Latest