The Student Room Group

Solution for the problem

pls help me with this sum.
The cubic equation x^3-x^2+3=0 has roots alpha, beta and gamma.
By considering s1 and s4 determine the value of alpha ^3(beta+alpha)+beta^3(alpha+gamm a)+gamma^3(alpha +beta).
Reply 1
By considering s1 and s4 determine the value of alpha ^3(beta+alpha)+beta^3(alpha+gamm a)+gamma^3(alpha +beta).
Original post by Shas72

What are s1 and s4 defined to be?
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
What are s1 and s4 defined to be?

The first question in that is using a relation Sn=alpha^n+beta^n+gamma^n find the value of s4.
I found this value of s4 and it is 2.
The next question that I have posted is what iam not able to solve
Reply 4
Original post by Shas72
The first question in that is using a relation Sn=alpha^n+beta^n+gamma^n find the value of s4.

S1=-b/a which is 0
Original post by Shas72

Okay, so I trust you got s4=α4+β4+γ4=2s_4 = \alpha^4 + \beta^4 + \gamma^4 = 2 correct. We also have s1=α+β+γ=1s_1 = \alpha + \beta + \gamma = -1.

Also, I think in your question you made a typo and instead want to find

α3(β+γ)+β3(α+γ)+γ3(α+β)\alpha^3(\beta+\gamma)+\beta^3( \alpha +\gamma)+\gamma^3(\alpha +\beta), right?
Reply 6
Okay, so I trust you got s4=α4+β4+γ4=2s_4 = \alpha^4 + \beta^4 + \gamma^4 = 2 correct. We also have s1=α+β+γ=1s_1 = \alpha + \beta + \gamma = -1.

α3(β+γ)+β3(α+γ)+γ3(α+β)\alpha^3(\beta+\gamma)+\beta^3( \alpha +\gamma)+\gamma^3(\alpha +\beta), right?

Yeah you are right. Iam sorry for typo error
Reply 7

And s1 is 0 right as there is no x^2
Original post by Shas72
And s1 is 0 right as there is no x^2

Yes there is, unless that's another one of your typos.
Reply 9
The sum is x^3-x+3=0 has roots alpha beta and gamma.

So sum of roots s1 will be -b/a which is 0 as there is no x^2 .Right?
Original post by Shas72
The sum is x^3-x+3=0 has roots alpha beta and gamma.

So sum of roots s1 will be -b/a which is 0 as there is no x^2 .Right?

In that case, yes. In your original posts you said x^3-x^2+3=0 instead.

Anyway, so we have s1=0s_1 = 0 and s4=2s_4 = 2 which you got correct, hopefully.

Then for the rest of the question, you should consider the product

(α3+β3+γ3)(α+β+γ)(\alpha^3 + \beta^3 + \gamma^3)(\alpha + \beta + \gamma)

and expand it appropriately so that you end up with the wanted result somewhere in the expansion.
Reply 11
Yeah I did that and iam stuck in the last step that you have shown where you are telling me to do the expansion.
Original post by Shas72
Yeah I did that and iam stuck in the last step that you have shown where you are telling me to do the expansion.

(α3+β3+γ3)(α+β+γ)=α4+α3(β+γ)+β4+β3(α+γ)+γ4+γ3(α+β)(\alpha^3 + \beta^3 + \gamma^3)(\alpha + \beta + \gamma) = \alpha^4 + \alpha^3(\beta + \gamma) + \beta^4 + \beta^3(\alpha + \gamma) + \gamma^4 + \gamma^3(\alpha + \beta)

Proceed from there.
Reply 13
But when you do that you will get 2+0 is 2.but the answer is -2.
Original post by Shas72
But when you do that you will get 2+0 is 2.but the answer is -2.

Not sure what you mean...

Rearranging the above we have

(α3+β3+γ3)(α+β+γ)=0=(α4+β4+γ4)=2+α3(β+γ)+β3(α+γ)+γ3(α+β)(\alpha^3 + \beta^3 + \gamma^3)\underbrace{(\alpha + \beta + \gamma)}_{=0} = \underbrace{(\alpha^4 + \beta^4 + \gamma^4)}_{=2} + \alpha^3(\beta + \gamma) + \beta^3(\alpha + \gamma) + \gamma^3(\alpha + \beta)

So the answer *is* -2.
Reply 15
Oh wow!!! That's how we do that. Thank you so much. Thanks a tonne
Reply 16
Not sure what you mean...

Rearranging the above we have

(α3+β3+γ3)(α+β+γ)=0=(α4+β4+γ4)=2+α3(β+γ)+β3(α+γ)+γ3(α+β)(\alpha^3 + \beta^3 + \gamma^3)\underbrace{(\alpha + \beta + \gamma)}_{=0} = \underbrace{(\alpha^4 + \beta^4 + \gamma^4)}_{=2} + \alpha^3(\beta + \gamma) + \beta^3(\alpha + \gamma) + \gamma^3(\alpha + \beta)

So the answer *is* -2.

Thanks again and again!

Quick Reply

Latest