The Student Room Group

Linear algebra

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 12.47.01.png

Hello, I'm currently doing part b) and getting a little stuck.

My instinct says that I need to write 5 equations, such as x(1) = 2 + s + t and then use the 5 equations to find s, t and then x(1) to x(5)?

However, I'm having real problems eliminating anything... so perhaps I'm not doing what the question is asking?

Or am I meant to be setting x(1) to be 18 (15+2+1) = 2 + s + t?

Also I don't know how I'm to know that there is a unique solution via the inequalities, but I know there is one via the RREF as rk(A) = rk(A|b).

Thanks!!
Original post by Bameron
Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 12.47.01.png

Hello, I'm currently doing part b) and getting a little stuck.

My instinct says that I need to write 5 equations, such as x(1) = 2 + s + t and then use the 5 equations to find s, t and then x(1) to x(5)?
Well, the question explictly tells you to form 5 inequalties, so I'd say your instincts are wrong. (I also have no idea where 2 + s + t came from!).

Your first inequality should be: "Since x1=2+stx_1 = 2 + s - t, and x10,2+st0x_1 \geq 0, \, 2 + s - t \geq 0".

For how to proceed after you have the 5 inequalities, you just have to look for ways to find conditions on s and t that eventually allow you to find them.

Spoiler

Reply 2
Ahh I don't know what I'm doing... I've followed your example and completed the other 4 inequalities, but I don't really know what you mean by finding conditions for s and t other than that they are both greater than or equal to 0 and I don't know what using that fact does for me.

Unfortunately your hint of x(2) + x(3) >= 0 hasn't helped me much... x(2) + x(3) = -10t... so -10t >= 0.

Original post by DFranklin
Well, the question explictly tells you to form 5 inequalties, so I'd say your instincts are wrong. (I also have no idea where 2 + s + t came from!).

Your first inequality should be: "Since x1=2+stx_1 = 2 + s - t, and x10,2+st0x_1 \geq 0, \, 2 + s - t \geq 0".

For how to proceed after you have the 5 inequalities, you just have to look for ways to find conditions on s and t that eventually allow you to find them.

Spoiler

Ahh I don't know what I'm doing... I've followed your example and completed the other 4 inequalities, but I don't really know what you mean by finding conditions for s and t other than that they are both greater than or equal to 0 and I don't know what using that fact does for me.

Unfortunately your hint of x(2) + x(3) >= 0 hasn't helped me much... x(2) + x(3) = -10t... so -10t >= 0.
Original post by Bameron

If -10t >=0, what can we say about t? And what else do we know about t? So...
Reply 4
Original post by DFranklin
If -10t >=0, what can we say about t? And what else do we know about t? So...

If -10t>= 0 then t has to be negative to be greater than 0, but we also know t is greater than 0, so we have a contradiction?
Original post by Bameron
If -10t>= 0 then t has to be negative to be greater than 0, but we also know t is greater than 0, so we have a contradiction?

No, we don't have a contradiction because the inequalities are not strict. t=0t=0 is the only value for which t0t \leq 0 and t0t \geq 0 both hold.
Reply 6
Ok so that leaves me with x(5) = 0, x(2) + x(3) = 0

from x(1), 2+s >= 0 so s >= -2, but from x(4), 4s >= 0, so s>=0, which I already knew from the question.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Having s also = 0 give me the correct answer, but I don't know how to prove s = 0 from the other side, just that I know s>=0
Original post by Bameron
Having s also = 0 give me the correct answer, but I don't know how to prove s = 0 from the other side, just that I know s>=0

Not sure about s=0s=0 in addition to t=0t=0 ... that would imply x2=4x_2 = -4 which is negative.

You can show that ss must take on a different specific value though. Notice that the equations for x2,x3x_2, x_3 are off by a multiple of -1 from each other (after imposing the condition t=0t=0). For them both to be greater than (or equal to) 0, ss must take on a specific value which you can determine.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Ok s=4/7 and this give me the correct portion sizes. Thank you both for being so patient with me, I'm going to run through the question again to make sure I understand everything.

Quick Reply

Latest