The Student Room Group

if I revise 7 hours daily would I get higher grades

I'm doing this due to a lack of knowledge in science and maths. I got 4's but managed to get 6's and 7's in everything else :frown: I'm stressed.
Reply 1
Hi Year 10 here, (pls don't disregard what I say because of my year ty <3)

Revising more would help but you don't want to burn out.

Whilst you are revising, ensure you are revising effectively! Things like active recall, spaced repetition (watch Ali Abdaal's video on evidence-based study tips) and past papers are all very, very useful. 1 hour of actively recalling a topic using flashcards on quizlet would be much more effective than say spending 2 hours re-reading and highlighting.
For sciences and maths especially, it's all about practising.
physicsandmathstutor.com is a great free resource which includes loads of past papers and summary notes for each unit, so you can practice your exam technique and mark your work whilst identifying where your areas of weakness specifically are.
In my Year 10 mocks, I've been achieving only 8s and 9s using the tips above. Honestly, revising 7 hours a day wouldn't help; quality over quantity. Don't stress, there's still time to improve and anything's possible if you put your mind to it. Good luck!
7 hours? a bit far mate

n besides, hours mean nothing if you're not using them efficiently. I'd say use a website like seneca and see what you don't know. If there's heaps of things, maybe do put in more time for those, but for sure not 7 hours. if you went full revision theres a good chance you wont retain the knowledge.

figure out what you need to know, and if you do know then im quite sure you wont even need to put 7 hours in a day.
Original post by Spherical
7 hours? a bit far mate

n besides, hours mean nothing if you're not using them efficiently. I'd say use a website like seneca and see what you don't know. If there's heaps of things, maybe do put in more time for those, but for sure not 7 hours. if you went full revision theres a good chance you wont retain the knowledge.

figure out what you need to know, and if you do know then im quite sure you wont even need to put 7 hours in a day.

I need to do this much because, I'm not where I want to be and also I know what I dont know
Reply 4
I agree with AB209, please don't think of it as a "how many hours" thing. The whole timetable route and the set amount of hours thing didn't work for me at all. It just made me feel depressed when I ultimately didn't get everything done that I wanted to. Set yourself a few specific tasks each day, eg "finish flashcards for radioactivity and learn ratios and proportion". Also, remember that you will have a lot of time after the Easter holiday ends and between your exams. Practise papers definitely help the most, I was doing them in physics right up until my exam and managed to get an A when previously I had only received Bs (I think). I definitely only ever got Bs in maths, was praying for a B minimum after the shockingly difficult exams last year, and managed to get an A. I know it's a waste of time for me to say "don't stress", but you WILL do better than you think :smile:
Original post by TheLukeManster
I need to do this much because, I'm not where I want to be and also I know what I dont know

ah hours =/= grades, just putting in hours doesnt mean getting grades. read ab2907s post it is very useful. If you know what you're weak in, are you going over those topics? try the websites ab suggested to get past paper knowledge and really know the exam boards- for me AQA Science is really just getting to know what the examiners want to hear. so just work on what you dont know i guess using the resources mentioned and good luck
Reply 6
I'm sure you would get slightly higher grades but would it be worth it? You have to factor in mental and physical health. Humans aren't machines - there is only so much work we can do before breaking down.

You'd be better off starting small and working your way up. What year are you in? If you're in year 10, you have plenty of time and you don't need to be doing extreme studying like that. An hour a day would be sufficient. After year 11 Febuary, you should start getting serious 2-3 hours.

At the end of the day, there's no set amount of time that you should do. Just work on what you don't know, keep doing quizes/past papers and maybe you can lighten the load a bit once you have less subjects to worry about. 6s and 7s are great and if you only have 2 subjects that are worrying you, you'll be fine by exam season.
Original post by TheLukeManster
I'm doing this due to a lack of knowledge in science and maths. I got 4's but managed to get 6's and 7's in everything else :frown: I'm stressed.

7 hours a day is way to much! At least lower that to 4-5 hours at least! You don’t want to burn yourself out and loose motivation. Remember it’s the quality of your revision that counts, not the quantity. You are better off doing 3 hours of decent revision than doing 7 straight hours where you are bound to tire yourself out.
7 hours is a lot. If you do more hours, your grades probably will improve but remember it's also about the quality of revision. For maths and science, I'd strongly advise practice papers.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/revision/gcse/revision-advice-my-journey-to-11-grade-9s-and-how-to-stay-motivated (written by me, check this out for some more advice)

Best of luck :smile:
no guarantee. if your revision is effective then perhaps but you'll likely end up burning yourself out pretty quickly.
I agree with AB2907!

Effectively revising is key! You can also check out whyze.co.uk, they have study tips and I heard they are going to launch a flashcard maker that uses AI to make flashcards from text you upload for you to save you the time making flashcards so you can spend your time more effectively actively recalling instead of re-reading and highlighting!

Best of luck with your revision and take care of yourself :smile:
Original post by AB2907
Hi Year 10 here, (pls don't disregard what I say because of my year ty <3)

Revising more would help but you don't want to burn out.

Whilst you are revising, ensure you are revising effectively! Things like active recall, spaced repetition (watch Ali Abdaal's video on evidence-based study tips) and past papers are all very, very useful. 1 hour of actively recalling a topic using flashcards on quizlet would be much more effective than say spending 2 hours re-reading and highlighting.
For sciences and maths especially, it's all about practising.
physicsandmathstutor.com is a great free resource which includes loads of past papers and summary notes for each unit, so you can practice your exam technique and mark your work whilst identifying where your areas of weakness specifically are.
In my Year 10 mocks, I've been achieving only 8s and 9s using the tips above. Honestly, revising 7 hours a day wouldn't help; quality over quantity. Don't stress, there's still time to improve and anything's possible if you put your mind to it. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest