The Student Room Group

Helppp alevel choices

I'm struggling to decide between Physics and Economics. My concern with economics is that it isn't useful unless you are going to do econ/finance/business etc. My concern with Physics is that there aren't AS's any more and therefore if i struggle with it, or don't like it I will be stuck with it for the whole year. I like most of the GCSE physics topics but the spec and people that I've talked too give me the impression that it's pretty difficult. I don't want to do engineering but physics opens up the doors regardless. Physics is often regarded as the hardest or one of the hardest a levels and since i'm doing 4 i will already have a lot on my plate. Physics is more respected but i could get a lower grade in it. I am already taking Bio, Maths, Geo. Physics complements Maths and Econ complements Geography. I am already taking 3 facilitating subjects so the fact that Econ isn't one doesn't really matter to me.
Sorry for the long paragraph but some people are convinced i should take econ and others physics and although they don't mean to are giving me really biased advice. Econ is the safe option... I'm not sure if it is worth taking the risk when my future is at stake.

I would appreciate any responses. Thanks xx

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stephsmhb
I'm struggling to decide between Physics and Economics. My concern with economics is that it isn't useful unless you are going to do econ/finance/business etc. My concern with Physics is that there aren't AS's any more and therefore if i struggle with it, or don't like it I will be stuck with it for the whole year. I like most of the GCSE physics topics but the spec and people that I've talked too give me the impression that it's pretty difficult. I don't want to do engineering but physics opens up the doors regardless. Physics is often regarded as the hardest or one of the hardest a levels and since i'm doing 4 i will already have a lot on my plate. Physics is more respected but i could get a lower grade in it. I am already taking Bio, Maths, Geo. Physics complements Maths and Econ complements Geography. I am already taking 3 facilitating subjects so the fact that Econ isn't one doesn't really matter to me.
Sorry for the long paragraph but some people are convinced i should take econ and others physics and although they don't mean to are giving me really biased advice. Econ is the safe option... I'm not sure if it is worth taking the risk when my future is at stake.

Sounds like a difficult dilemma! I've just made my a-level choices, and I'm doing bio, chem, maths and physics with the view that if the workload is too much I can always drop physics and still do biochem at uni (luckily in Wales AS levels are still a thing). If I were you, I'd do physics just because a lot of what's in economics is probably covered in mats (although I haven't seen the spec) and physics will open up lots of career paths. Definitely depends on your long term plans, though. Equally, the most important thing is that you enjoy your next two years, so if economics is the one which makes you happier then 100% go with that. At the end of the day, just go for the one you like best because it'll make you want to revise more. Good luck deciding, it's so hard! x

I've gone through high school, university, have worked in a graduate job and have come back to university and I can tell you that your A level subjects don't really matter unless you specifically need them to get into a course at university.

If you want to do Physics at uni, you'll need Physics A level. If you want to do Geography at university, you can choose either Econ or Physics - universities really don't care as long as you get good grades.

Do the subject that interests you the most and the one that'll get you the best grade. Universities care about grades and not whether one is considered more useful or not.

Do you know if you want to go to university? If you do want to go, do you know what you want to study? Do you need either Economics or Physics for what you want to study at university?

Remember - it doesn't matter what you study at A level as long as you get the best possible grades you can and you don't need a specific subject for a degree course.

I originally did French and Spanish at the University of Edinburgh and my only prerequisite was that I had the equivalent of A level French. That's it. I could've done A level French, Maths, Physics and Chemistry and I still would've gotten in to do French and Spanish at Edinburgh. My friend did A level Maths, Physics and Art with an AS in Spanish and got in for Japanese at university.
My other friend wanted to do Medicine. The only prerequisite he had was to have the equivalent of A level Chemistry and Bio. Apart from those two, he could've done whatever he wanted to. I think he even did P.E.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
To be honest, if you're already doing 3 and not particularly interested in a career with Physics or Economics, it doesn't really matter. You'll NEED physics if you want to take a physics or engineering course at uni, but if not there's no particular reason to take it as a 4th.
The same pretty much goes for economics, except you could probably get away with just having maths if you want to do something economics-related at uni or in the future.

You could always start with Physics, and if you find it too difficult or not worth it, your sixth form would probably let you swap to economics in the first few months. That's pretty much the only way to really find out if you'll handle it well.

If you're sure you don't want to do Engineering, I would pick Economics as it's easier and (probably) more interesting. I wouldn't say Physics particularly opens more doors than Economics (taken with Bio, Geo and Maths) apart from as a Physicist or Engineer
Reply 5
Original post by viol.aaa
Sounds like a difficult dilemma! I've just made my a-level choices, and I'm doing bio, chem, maths and physics with the view that if the workload is too much I can always drop physics and still do biochem at uni (luckily in Wales AS levels are still a thing). If I were you, I'd do physics just because a lot of what's in economics is probably covered in mats (although I haven't seen the spec) and physics will open up lots of career paths. Definitely depends on your long term plans, though. Equally, the most important thing is that you enjoy your next two years, so if economics is the one which makes you happier then 100% go with that. At the end of the day, just go for the one you like best because it'll make you want to revise more. Good luck deciding, it's so hard! x

Thanks so much. Hardly any of econ is covered in the maths spec which was a massive surprise to me so i would understand why you think that. Sounds like really tough Alevels that you are taking. Good Luck! Thanks for the advice x
Reply 6
Original post by Quick-use
I've gone through high school, university, have worked in a graduate job and have come back to university and I can tell you that your A level subjects don't really matter unless you specifically need them to get into a course at university.

If you want to do Physics at uni, you'll need Physics A level. If you want to do Geography at university, you can choose either Econ or Physics - universities really don't care as long as you get good grades.

Do the subject that interests you the most and the one that'll get you the best grade. Universities care about grades and not whether one is considered more useful or not.

Do you know if you want to go to university? If you do want to go, do you know what you want to study? Do you need either Economics or Physics for what you want to study at university?

Remember - it doesn't matter what you study at A level as long as you get the best possible grades you can and you don't need a specific subject for a degree course.

I originally did French and Spanish at the University of Edinburgh and my only prerequisite was that I had the equivalent of A level French. That's it. I could've done A level French, Maths, Physics and Chemistry and I still would've gotten in to do French and Spanish at Edinburgh. My friend did A level Maths, Physics and Art with an AS in Spanish and got in for Japanese at university.
My other friend wanted to do Medicine. The only prerequisite he had was to have the equivalent of A level Chemistry and Bio. Apart from those two, he could've done whatever he wanted to. I think he even did P.E.

Thank you. I completely understand what you are saying. My problem is that I have no clue what I want to do at alevel and therefore i would like to keep my options open. I'm finding it really hard when i don't even know which field i would like to go in.
Reply 7
Original post by nzy
To be honest, if you're already doing 3 and not particularly interested in a career with Physics or Economics, it doesn't really matter. You'll NEED physics if you want to take a physics or engineering course at uni, but if not there's no particular reason to take it as a 4th.
The same pretty much goes for economics, except you could probably get away with just having maths if you want to do something economics-related at uni or in the future.

You could always start with Physics, and if you find it too difficult or not worth it, your sixth form would probably let you swap to economics in the first few months. That's pretty much the only way to really find out if you'll handle it well.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking but it's good to get other views on it
unless you planning on doing engineering you dont need Physics. You only need 3 A levels anyway. If you want to take Economics in case you decide to drop a subject fine otherwise dont bother.
Reply 9
Some of the sixth forms i'm applying to require 4 alevels and there are also many courses (not engineering) that i'm interested in that require physics. Sorry if i didn't give you the full picture
Original post by swanseajack1
unless you planning on doing engineering you dont need Physics. You only need 3 A levels anyway. If you want to take Economics in case you decide to drop a subject fine otherwise dont bother.
Some of the sixth forms i'm applying to require 4 alevels and there are also many courses (not engineering) that i'm interested in that require physics. Sorry if i didn't give you the full picture

what courses require Physics
Reply 11
For example geophsyics
what courses require Physics
I can’t speak for economics but I can for physics. When I first decided to do physics everyone on TSR was literally trying to put me off saying it was super hard, but me being me I picked it anyway and I can tell you now it is not the hardest a level, in fact I find it the easiest of the subjects I do. Plus I’ve found that the topics you study at A level are so much more interesting that what was covered at GCSE. But believe me don’t be put off by people saying it’s hard, it’s not (and this is coming from someone who isn’t particularly strong at maths)
If you can’t decide you can always take both and then decide which one you like better and drop one after the first few weeks 🙂
In that case you will have no choice but to take Physics
For example geophsyics
Reply 14
Original post by Icykitten
I can’t speak for economics but I can for physics. When I first decided to do physics everyone on TSR was literally trying to put me off saying it was super hard, but me being me I picked it anyway and I can tell you now it is not the hardest a level, in fact I find it the easiest of the subjects I do. Plus I’ve found that the topics you study at A level are so much more interesting that what was covered at GCSE. But believe me don’t be put off by people saying it’s hard, it’s not (and this is coming from someone who isn’t particularly strong at maths)
If you can’t decide you can always take both and then decide which one you like better and drop one after the first few weeks 🙂

What are the other subjects you do
I can't take both because then i would be doing 5 subjects but thanks anyway
Reply 15
Thanks for your help, but I think i've decided to take economics
In that case you will have no choice but to take Physics
What are the other subjects you do
I can't take both because then i would be doing 5 subjects but thanks anyway

Yeah but then you can temporarily take 5 and drop the ones you struggle with later on and end up with 3 .
I take physics, chemistry and biology
Reply 17
Original post by Icykitten
Yeah but then you can temporarily take 5 and drop the ones you struggle with later on and end up with 3 .
I take physics, chemistry and biology

My school doesn't allow that
My school doesn't allow that

Oh, that’s a shame.
That’s a tough one, I guess it depends what you want to do in the future. Do you have any ideas? If not you should pick the one you think you will enjoy the most and get the best grade out of.
that's fine but it will rule out geophysics
Thanks for your help, but I think i've decided to take economics

Quick Reply

Latest