The Student Room Group

English Lit and Lang or just English Lit

Hey guys!
So for the sixth form, I want to do the subjects: Law BTEC, Sociology and English. However, I’m not sure whether I should English Lit or just English Lit and Lang? I’ve heard that English Lit and Lang is good as it would help with my studies of law, as well as Sociology. Any help guys?
I will suggest that you should get English language.
Reply 2
Do you mean the combined English Lit and Lang or just English Language on its own?
Original post by joel malungu
I will suggest that you should get English language.
Original post by joyceelyse
Hey guys!
So for the sixth form, I want to do the subjects: Law BTEC, Sociology and English. However, I’m not sure whether I should English Lit or just English Lit and Lang? I’ve heard that English Lit and Lang is good as it would help with my studies of law, as well as Sociology. Any help guys?

I currently do A level English language (my second year) and I really enjoy it. We've done lots of different areas, which are all really interesting, including:

Language and gender (such as how gender effects the way in which we speak, how it reflects stereotypes, etc)

Language change (how new words form, borrowing of words, peoples attitudes to language change, political correctness, etc)

Accent and dialect (how different English and other accents and dialects were formed, peoples attitudes to different accents and dialects, etc)

Child language (how children learn language, theories, etc)

We are soon going on to do world English (including how they use the English language in other countries, such as India and Japan, etc)

Language features (many different types of nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, clauses, sentences, pronouns, etc)

For my exams (AQA), we have two papers:

In paper one, you have to read two texts and write an essay on each, picking out language features and commenting on their meanings and effects. Then you have to write an essay comparing how language is used in each text. Then, you have to write another essay which will be on a particular topic, such as language and gender, etc.

In paper two, you have to read a text and describe how it uses language to present a language issue. Then you have to write a original piece of writing using your knowledge of the issue.

(This will obviously depend on your exam board)
This might sound a bit daunting but don't let it put you off. I thought it would be useful for you to know what topics you will study and what exams you will be expected to do.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JessNaomi19600
I currently do A level English language (my second year) and I really enjoy it. We've done lots of different areas, which are all really interesting, including:

Language and gender (such as how gender effects the way in which we speak, how it reflects stereotypes, etc)

Language change (how new words form, borrowing of words, peoples attitudes to language change, political correctness, etc)

Accent and dialect (how different English and other accents and dialects were formed, peoples attitudes to different accents and dialects, etc)

Child language (how children learn language, theories, etc)

We are soon going on to do world English (including how they use the English language in other countries, such as India and Japan, etc)

Language features (many different types of nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, clauses, sentences, pronouns, etc)

For my exams (AQA), we have two papers:

In paper one, you have to read two texts and write an essay on each, picking out language features and commenting on their meanings and effects. Then you have to write an essay comparing how language is used in each text. Then, you have to write another essay which will be on a particular topic, such as language and gender, etc.

In paper two, you have to read a text and describe how it uses language to present a language issue. Then you have to write a original piece of writing using your knowledge of the issue.

(This will obviously depend on your exam board)
This might sound a bit daunting but don't let it put you off. I thought it would be useful for you to know what topics you will study and what exams you will be expected to do.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much! That really does help! I’ll just do more research now on the other course of English and compare them both
Original post by joyceelyse
Thank you so much! That really does help! I’ll just do more research now on the other course of English and compare them both

Your welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending