The Student Room Group

Chemistry

Hi i have done cpac4 in alevel chem ( testing anions and cations) but now I have to write a risk assessment and in not sure how to do a good one? Any pictures would be a major help. Thankyou
Original post by revisionforexams
Hi i have done cpac4 in alevel chem ( testing anions and cations) but now I have to write a risk assessment and in not sure how to do a good one? Any pictures would be a major help. Thankyou

A risk assessment is where you write down the potential risks and hazards that could occur in an experiment. I'm guessing this CPAC is electrolysis using a voltmeter so one obvious risk is electricity hazard as liquids could spill and cause a potential hazard i.e. electric shock. You would identify the risk state the potential hazard and then write what you will do in your experiment to minimise the risk e.g. keep voltmeter at a specific distance away from any source of liquids.
Other risks include trip hazards like chairs or bags so making sure those are put away/tucked under the desk before starting etc.
So, 1) State the risk 2) State the hazard(s) 3) State how you are going to minimise the risk of hazards occuring. Do this for every risk.
thank you very much
Original post by The A-level kid
A risk assessment is where you write down the potential risks and hazards that could occur in an experiment. I'm guessing this CPAC is electrolysis using a voltmeter so one obvious risk is electricity hazard as liquids could spill and cause a potential hazard i.e. electric shock. You would identify the risk state the potential hazard and then write what you will do in your experiment to minimise the risk e.g. keep voltmeter at a specific distance away from any source of liquids.
Other risks include trip hazards like chairs or bags so making sure those are put away/tucked under the desk before starting etc.
So, 1) State the risk 2) State the hazard(s) 3) State how you are going to minimise the risk of hazards occuring. Do this for every risk

Quick Reply

Latest