The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Physics Paper 1 (Advanced Physics I) - 20 May 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Poll

How did you find this paper?

Edexcel Physics Paper 1 (Advanced Physics I)

Date: 20 May 2019
Session: PM
Length: 1h45
Marks: 90 (30% of the total A-level)

Paper 1 covers:

Topic 1 - Working as a Physicist

Topic 2 - Mechanics

Topic 3 - Electric Circuits

Topic 6 - Further Mechanics

Topic 7 - Electric and Magnetic Fields

Topic 8 - Nuclear and Particle Physics

A formula booklet is at the end of the paper, and can be found here.

At least 40% of the marks over the three papers is awarded for maths at level 2 or above.

Other Edexcel Physics Exams:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you're planning to use old spec papers a mapping is below:

Unit 1 - Mechanics

Unit 2 - Electric Circuits

Unit 4 - Further Mechanics, Electric and Magnetic Field, Nuclear and Particle Physics

These units do not contain anything not in the new specification.

The following do not appear in the old specification:

Moments

Derivation of equations for resistors in parallel and series.

Conduction models and the LDR

Derivation of centripetal acceleration formula using vectors.

Electric potential and equipotential lines.

Simple AC theory: rms currents and voltages

Baryon number and lepton number used to determine whether a particle interaction is possible.

Reply 2
4 days! Everyone ready?
Original post by Htn_02
4 days! Everyone ready?

Almost there - mainly concentrated on the Year 2 content until recently. Now I've realised I have a few gaps in waves/year 1 electricity that I'm trying to fill. (mostly stuff I haven't covered properly since AS mocks and have since forgot) Hoping for a similar difficulty/similar boundaries as last year. Don't really enjoy Paper 1, (with the only exception really being particle physics) prefer the stuff on paper 2, so I'll be glad to have this out of the way. (at least until the synoptic/practical questions on paper 3)
(edited 4 years ago)
Anyone know what equations/formulas we need to remember?
Reply 5
What are you guys scoring on past papers?
Original post by Curiousstudent03
Anyone know what equations/formulas we need to remember?

They're all given in the formula sheet. Can't think of any that aren't except ϕ=BA\phi = BA (but you should know that from what magnetic flux density is)

The formula sheet is found at the end of the paper and can be found here: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Physics/2015/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/A-level-Physics-Data-Formulae-Relationships.pdf
Original post by _gcx
They're all given in the formula sheet. Can't think of any that aren't except ϕ=BA\phi = BA (but you should know that from what magnetic flux density is)

The formula sheet is found at the end of the paper and can be found here: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Physics/2015/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/A-level-Physics-Data-Formulae-Relationships.pdf

Thanks!! I swear there were some more though.. like Vp/Vs = Np/Ns for transformer coils, except I can't remember. I know there are lots that are like definitions but I always forget to use them in the exam 😂
Side note, are we allowed to rip the formula sheet off the back? It's so annoying to keep flipping to it..
Reply 9
Are transformers on the specification?
Original post by Curiousstudent03
Thanks!! I swear there were some more though.. like Vp/Vs = Np/Ns for transformer coils, except I can't remember. I know there are lots that are like definitions but I always forget to use them in the exam 😂
Original post by solark

Are they not? idk they're in the Edexcel revision guide, I haven't really looked at the spec
They do have context things in the book though so it might not be
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by solark

Transformers have appeared in specimen papers but did not require any specific knowledge. You just needed to apply Faraday's law.
Reply 12
Any predictions on what may come up guys?
My teachers have said potential dividers, and maybe vector diagrams.Anyone know which derivations could be in Paper 1?
I'm not sure. I'm worried about what weird contexts they might throw at us
I’m PANICKING right now! 😢
SAMEE!! I've also got an economics exam on the 20th which is really not ideal timing :frown:(
But WE'RE GONNA BE OKAY!!!! I promise :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by TinyTitan
My teachers have said potential dividers, and maybe vector diagrams.Anyone know which derivations could be in Paper 1?

The acceleration formula (but that came up last year or i think the year before-so highly unlikely it’ll come up again this year).
Ek= p^2/2m
The resistance formulas for circuits
My teacher is pretty adamant on the derivation of the molecular KE equation coming up in paper 2, but it came up in the Extra SAMs so I'm not so sure. This is only the third live paper, so no real trends will have arisen yet. (indeed often there are few when a spec has been running for years!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending