The Student Room Group

To anyone with a police caution/ conviction

I am writing this post for anyone who has a police caution/ conviction on their record and wants to become a teacher or go on to any other career where a DBS check is required.

I know what you are going through. How you are feeling. What is the point of going through my PGCE if I might not even be appointed at the end of it by anyone?

I, until very recently, was in the same boat as you. In 2018, I was given a police caution for criminal damage after I stupidly and accidentally damaged someone else's roof. I paid the full extent of the damage and sent a letter of apology to the owner of the property. However, I was given a police caution which will show on my record for the next 6 years.

I was recently appointed for an NQT position in an outstanding school in the South of England after 9 months of hell and uncertainty over my future. You can do the same.

When I was considering applying to do my PGCE I saw many forums on here and on places like TES saying things like "you will never get a job with a criminal record" or "schools will throw your application away as soon as they see your record." I can tell you that this is not always the truth. If you are honest and upfront with your applications and explain the circumstances behind your criminal record, schools can often see past your imperfections and will look at your relevant experience and qualifications.

Having a criminal record does not have to be a burden, you can use it to show how resilient you are. You can show how much you have changed and what you learnt from it. Mistakes happen, don't let the mistake define you. Things go wrong - everyone has a skeleton in their closet ours just happens to be on a piece of paper.

No matter what anyone tells you, you can put your past behind you. Just be honest at interview with the headteacher and put as positive of a spin as possible on it. You will get there eventually.

I just wanted to say this as I know that some people will be in the same position as I was just 9 months ago. Please message me if you want any advice but don't want to post on here.
Reply 1
Ok
It's okay, I didn't expect you to understand anyway.
Original post by gjd800
Ok
Reply 3
Original post by AnonymousTeacher
It's okay, I didn't expect you to understand anyway.

Reeto
Original post by AnonymousTeacher
I am writing this post for anyone who has a police caution/ conviction on their record and wants to become a teacher or go on to any other career where a DBS check is required.

I know what you are going through. How you are feeling. What is the point of going through my PGCE if I might not even be appointed at the end of it by anyone?

I, until very recently, was in the same boat as you. In 2018, I was given a police caution for criminal damage after I stupidly and accidentally damaged someone else's roof. I paid the full extent of the damage and sent a letter of apology to the owner of the property. However, I was given a police caution which will show on my record for the next 6 years.

I was recently appointed for an NQT position in an outstanding school in the South of England after 9 months of hell and uncertainty over my future. You can do the same.

When I was considering applying to do my PGCE I saw many forums on here and on places like TES saying things like "you will never get a job with a criminal record" or "schools will throw your application away as soon as they see your record." I can tell you that this is not always the truth. If you are honest and upfront with your applications and explain the circumstances behind your criminal record, schools can often see past your imperfections and will look at your relevant experience and qualifications.

Having a criminal record does not have to be a burden, you can use it to show how resilient you are. You can show how much you have changed and what you learnt from it. Mistakes happen, don't let the mistake define you. Things go wrong - everyone has a skeleton in their closet ours just happens to be on a piece of paper.

No matter what anyone tells you, you can put your past behind you. Just be honest at interview with the headteacher and put as positive of a spin as possible on it. You will get there eventually.

I just wanted to say this as I know that some people will be in the same position as I was just 9 months ago. Please message me if you want any advice but don't want to post on here.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. I hope that people in the same position as you find the inspiration they need to go on and do what they want to do :smile:
Great post, thanks for the support dude (guessing your a guy). I have a conditional discharge for criminal damage (occurred during a psychotic episode) and although I’m not going into to teaching I’ve never had a problem getting a customer facing job such as museum or theatre visitor assistant. S**t happens but as long as you have persistence anything is possible.
So true mate. Glad you understand what it's like to be in this situation. All the best with everything you do!
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Great post, thanks for the support dude (guessing your a guy). I have a conditional discharge for criminal damage (occurred during a psychotic episode) and although I’m not going into to teaching I’ve never had a problem getting a customer facing job such as museum or theatre visitor assistant. S**t happens but as long as you have persistence anything is possible.
This is really inspiring to read. I was un medicated for my mental health for years, and I got a police caution for violent and disorderly conduct in 2016. I’m applying to a PGCE in FE sector and let me tell you, I’ve been absolutely ******** myself having to explain this to the admissions team at the uni, and having to plead my case that I’ve grown, I’m on the correct medication and that I’m not the same person I was 4 years ago. Thank you for sharing this. I hope you’re doing well and you’re flourishing. Same sentiment to everyone on this site! 🖤
Original post by LabWolf89
This is really inspiring to read. I was un medicated for my mental health for years, and I got a police caution for violent and disorderly conduct in 2016. I’m applying to a PGCE in FE sector and let me tell you, I’ve been absolutely ******** myself having to explain this to the admissions team at the uni, and having to plead my case that I’ve grown, I’m on the correct medication and that I’m not the same person I was 4 years ago. Thank you for sharing this. I hope you’re doing well and you’re flourishing. Same sentiment to everyone on this site! 🖤

Good luck with teaching dude! I'm in a similar position now. I'm first year PhD and about to do the teaching module to run seminars, I'm still really a mess though, I'm on meds but I feel I've lost it, just gotta try an make progress each day.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Good luck with teaching dude! I'm in a similar position now. I'm first year PhD and about to do the teaching module to run seminars, I'm still really a mess though, I'm on meds but I feel I've lost it, just gotta try an make progress each day.

Thank you very much you kind soul :smile:
Awesome to hear the career is on the up and up! Phd must be such a massive amount of work! Super commendable I must say!

Yeah meds are always a double edged sword. I’m glad my medication is working well but duuuude…. This stress of waiting before September is messing me up!

We’ll get there :smile: Thanks for replying!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending