The Student Room Group

Teacher doesn't provide feedback or resources. Need an A to meet offer conditions.

So my Shakespeare professor is a stern, traditionalist-style teaching woman. She's in her seventies, I imagine. We just had our first midterm and she provided either very little feedback, or just none whatsoever. I enjoy the class, but the only contributor to our overall grades is the essay category (all in-class). I'm afraid of getting a B-average, and losing my shot at transferring to Uni in the fall. What can I do? I have asked her for advice but she had absolutely nothing to say. I need to do well in her class. The essays we write are mostly thematic or textual analysis. There is also a research paper due at the end of term, and I could probably do with some advice on that too (Shakespearean research paper?)
Original post by warm_jeans
So my Shakespeare professor is a stern, traditionalist-style teaching woman. She's in her seventies, I imagine. We just had our first midterm and she provided either very little feedback, or just none whatsoever. I enjoy the class, but the only contributor to our overall grades is the essay category (all in-class). I'm afraid of getting a B-average, and losing my shot at transferring to Uni in the fall. What can I do? I have asked her for advice but she had absolutely nothing to say. I need to do well in her class. The essays we write are mostly thematic or textual analysis. There is also a research paper due at the end of term, and I could probably do with some advice on that too (Shakespearean research paper?)

First off, I doubt she is 70 if she is still teaching (that's by the by though). I think you should start by asking for a meeting with her, to discuss your work. Then you need to go to that meeting very prepared, with a set of specific questions you want her advice on, and a set of propositions on what you intend to do to improve that she will be able to steer you on. Now - if she refuses to meet with you, you then need to escalate this to the next level, which is asking a parent/guardian to advocate on your behalf. If she still refuses to meet, then we escalate again, to her supervisor/the head teacher. It is very unlikely that a teacher will refuse to meet with a student if you politely request a meeting, and set out for her the agenda you want to discuss. You can't go there saying "sort my life out for me" though. I hope this helps.
Reply 2
Thank you, this does help. I was going to take the weekend to sort the questions I have to ask her. She is at least 70 btw– uses a cane, hearing aid, the works– and her lecturing style definitely reflects that.
Original post by LiyoS
First off, I doubt she is 70 if she is still teaching (that's by the by though). I think you should start by asking for a meeting with her, to discuss your work. Then you need to go to that meeting very prepared, with a set of specific questions you want her advice on, and a set of propositions on what you intend to do to improve that she will be able to steer you on. Now - if she refuses to meet with you, you then need to escalate this to the next level, which is asking a parent/guardian to advocate on your behalf. If she still refuses to meet, then we escalate again, to her supervisor/the head teacher. It is very unlikely that a teacher will refuse to meet with a student if you politely request a meeting, and set out for her the agenda you want to discuss. You can't go there saying "sort my life out for me" though. I hope this helps.
Original post by LiyoS
First off, I doubt she is 70. asking a parent/guardian

I fail to understand how this is relevant. Also, lol.
OP, if you can afford it, get a private tutor. If you cannot, use the mark scheme, model essays and examiner reports, or try and as mentioned, sit her down and explain to her that you're not getting proper feedback and need to know what you can do to improve.
Reply 4
I was thinking about getting a tutor, yeah. So far, no one I've spoken to has received higher than a B on our first essay. She also left very few comments on people's essays. At this point, if she still refuses to help, I'm just going to speak to the professors/teachers that I have a legitimate rapport with and see what advice they can offer. I am definitely not giving up.

Also, yeah... no one is advocating on my behalf, lol
Original post by angelinahx
I fail to understand how this is relevant. Also, lol.
OP, if you can afford it, get a private tutor. If you cannot, use the mark scheme, model essays and examiner reports, or try and as mentioned, sit her down and explain to her that you're not getting proper feedback and need to know what you can do to improve.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending