The Student Room Group

Contextual Offer Question!

I will be needing a BBC range for the conditional offer I have for Animation at Sheffield Hallam, but because of my autism, I have a contextual offer on top (that doesn’t show up on UCAS), so I would like to ask how it works exactly, and how many grades lower with the contextual offer would it be?
Original post by mfblackbird
I will be needing a BBC range for the conditional offer I have for Animation at Sheffield Hallam, but because of my autism, I have a contextual offer on top (that doesn’t show up on UCAS), so I would like to ask how it works exactly, and how many grades lower with the contextual offer would it be?

Oddly, Sheffield Hallam don't seem to handle contextual offers in the same way that other universities do. They talk about a "personalised contextual offer for eligible students" - suggesting that not all contextual offers are the same for a given course. It's very odd, frankly. I've not seen any other university say they provide contextual offers without providing any indication as to what the impact is likely to be, grade-wise.

Are you looking to start in September 2023 (and will be applying through Clearing) or are you looking to start in September 2024 (and you will be applying through the main scheme within the next few months)? The reason I ask is that their BA (Honours) Animation class is currently in Clearing with an entry requirement of 112 UCAS points. The BBC grades you just quoted equate to 112 UCAS points. So you'd meet those conditions with any contextual offer being necessary.

Actually, re-reading your question you say "for the conditional offer I have". So you're not looking to apply - you've already applied. The conditions with apply to you are the one in you offer. Of those are 112 UCAS points, or BBC, then that is your offer. They do say, however, that "As a contextual offer holder, we will also take your circumstances into consideration when receiving your results and it may mean we are able to be more flexible in confirming your place." So you can likely get away with lower grades than that. How much lower is not at all clear.
Reply 2
That doesn’t help at all. It just makes me feel worse. So I really do have no contextual offer, is that right?
That doesn’t help at all. It just makes me feel worse. So I really do have no contextual offer, is that right?

Your offer, from what you've said, is BBC. I don't know what the standard offer is. If it's BBC then you haven't received a grade reduction as a result of your contextual status.

However, that doesn't mean it's not a contextual offer, which might benefit you in other ways. For example, as I wrote above, "As a contextual offer holder, we will also take your circumstances into consideration when receiving your results and it may mean we are able to be more flexible in confirming your place."

If you want to tell whether your offer is contextual or not, I suggest you call them on 0330 024 6390 or complete this "ask a question" form.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Your offer, from what you've said, is BBC. I don't know what the standard offer is. If it's BBC then you haven't received a grade reduction as a result of your contextual status.

However, that doesn't mean it's not a contextual offer, which might benefit you in other ways. For example, as I wrote above, "As a contextual offer holder, we will also take your circumstances into consideration when receiving your results and it may mean we are able to be more flexible in confirming your place."

If you want to tell whether your offer is contextual or not, I suggest you call them on 0330 024 6390 or complete this "ask a question" form.

BBC is the standard offer my guy. Also I’m not calling them this late into the process.
Reply 5
Oh well, time to go back to being depressed now knowing I have zero chance of making it into university now.
Oh well, time to go back to being depressed now knowing I have zero chance of making it into university now.

If you don't think you can achieve the 112 UCAS points (BBC) in your offer, what do you think you will achieve?

And why are you convinced that Sheffield Hallam's commitment to "be more flexible in confirming your place" will not be honoured, and that they will not accept you with grades which are slightly below BBC?
You might meet the offer in full, they might accept you as a near miss, they might have more leniency if you meet their contextual criteria.

(I think the only thing causing doubt is the backward way Hallam issue their offers - how are you supposed to pick betwen offers if they don't specify what grades you need?)

No need to be defeatest at this stage. most students end up at either their Firm or Insurance, regardless of grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending