The Student Room Group

Date rape wristbands

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Haha they wouldn't ban. TSR understand the right of free speech, thankfully.
Original post by Cxesar
Mate that Yudo lass is probably on one... Her water supply must be spiked for her/him to have that thought process.
Don't waste your time debating with these people on here... you'll probably get banned.
My drink was spiked by my ex-boyfriend before he assaulted me, so I'm all for a wristband that could have prevented that from happening.
Original post by ThomH97
A wristband that lets wearers check if their drink has been spiked with a date rape drug has gone on sale on Germany.

It works by you mixing your drink thoroughly, then putting a few drops of your drink onto a test spot (there are two in the sample one) on the wristband, and waiting two minutes to see if the area goes blue to indicate the date rape drug GHB.

While it is a good thing to prevent oneself being drugged and robbed or raped, is this method really practical? I can see two issues, both stemming from the assumption that you would want an enjoyable evening/night out.

Firstly is the 2 minute wait. This is really too long to consciously hold in your head to not take a sip, without putting a real dampener on your evening. If it were quick like checking your phone for the time, then it would be okay, but to be actively thinking continuously for two minutes that someone walking around or sitting nearby wants to rob or rape you when you're unconscious means you're not really enjoying your time. Why go somewhere that has a great enough chance of being drugged that you're going to spend 2 minutes waiting to have a sip each time your attention is turned momentarily elsewhere?

Second is actually doing it in front of someone who you simultaneously want to get along with, but also distrust enough to suspect them of being a robber or rapist. Actively keeping an eye on your drink is one thing, as it can be done naturally, but to come back from the toilet, or even after turning around for a moment, give your companion a dirty look before testing your drink and waiting two minutes (making small talk as to what you suspect them of?), is really awkward. That's really quite a lot of mental gymnastics to be performing when you want to get to know someone.

There is also the issue of other drugs being used. More tests could be included, but I imagine them giving a false sense of security. If you are worried about your drink being spiked, keep an eye on it, or have someone you trust keep and eye on it.

The upsides I can see are enabling someone to avoid drinking a GHB spiked drink if they test it, and deterring would be criminals from the specific individuals who are wearing the wristbands. These are both dealt with by looking after your drink though, so is it really worth going for a night out if you're bringing so much worry and paranoia with you?
Original post by idk01
I'm a psychopath all of a sudden am I? You won't get very far in terms of relationships if you suspect everyone to be a serial killer before proven otherwise.

Why are you so mad about a hypothetical woman you've never met checking to make sure her drink is safe? lol.

Spiked drinks are really common. Both myself and people I know have had our drinks spiked before. I'd use the wristband myself depending on the circumstances.
Reply 23
I'm very sorry to hear that and sorry for using this as an example, but I think it's important that yudothis understands that drink spiking isn't something that always happens at first encounters. I think this is one of the biggest problems, when can we begin to trust someone in a relationship. This judgement is constantly blurred by sad cases like this where a partner (often long-term) violates that trust.
Original post by QueenTbiomed
My drink was spiked by my ex-boyfriend before he assaulted me, so I'm all for a wristband that could have prevented that from happening.
Reply 24
I'm not getting mad at all. Like you said, I understand in some circumstances that this could be a life-saver, but is it really rational to say that one would use it every single time they meet someone new?
Original post by ChickenMadness
Why are you so mad about a hypothetical woman you've never met checking to make sure her drink is safe? lol.

Spiked drinks are really common. Both myself and people I know have had our drinks spiked before. I'd use the wristband myself depending on the circumstances.
Original post by idk01
I'm a psychopath all of a sudden am I? You won't get very far in terms of relationships if you suspect everyone to be a serial killer before proven otherwise.

You have an expectation that a pick-up of a stranger in a nightclub or bar is likely to to lead to a meaningful relationship?

:toofunny:
It's okay, I've recovered from it now as it was nearly three years ago. Unfortunately I agree- I believe this kind of thing tends to happen more often in cases where the perpetrator has earned the trust of their victim.

My ex and I had been together for a year when he spiked my drink. I honestly trusted him with everything, probably even my life, so you can imagine my disbelief when I discovered his true intent. I'm just lucky he didn't actually rape me like he had planned as I intuitively felt like something was wrong so didn't drink more than a sip.
Original post by idk01
I'm very sorry to hear that and sorry for using this as an example, but I think it's important that yudothis understands that drink spiking isn't something that always happens at first encounters. I think this is one of the biggest problems, when can we begin to trust someone in a relationship. This judgement is constantly blurred by sad cases like this where a partner (often long-term) violates that trust.

Edit: I also think that I would probably be likely to use the wristband when meeting someone new. Experiences like this make you re-evaluate everything.

But to be honest, when meeting someone for the first time, I think the best thing is to keep an eye on where your drink is coming from/stay with him when ordering and not to allow anybody to walk away with it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by idk01
I'm not getting mad at all. Like you said, I understand in some circumstances that this could be a life-saver, but is it really rational to say that one would use it every single time they meet someone new?

I think it's sensible for a woman to do it if they accept a drink from a stranger. Especially if she's on her own. I wouldn't see it as an awkward situation if they did it right in front of the person who bought it for them either, it's just being sensible.

If she's with friends then it's less dangerous because they can look after her if she gets ****ed up lol.

And at University, in house parties, there are always loads of drugs and people put them in drinks and forget to tell each other whats in them because they're so wasted. You need some sensible people around to make sure no one dies :lol:
Reply 28
I'm not talking exclusively about one night stands from nightclubs, I was actually talking about dates. Almost all relationships start by meeting someone you dont know for the first time.
Original post by Good bloke
You have an expectation that a pick-up of a stranger in a nightclub or bar is likely to to lead to a meaningful relationship?

:toofunny:
So you ignore my entire post which logically destroyed your little story and go for the 'sad' part? Your fragile ego can't handle a woman making sure. You demand a stranger trust you completely because you are incapable of empathy. Your dismissal as 'paranoia' that which is a legitimate concern for women going out, shows you are exactly part of the problem.

And the low-key sexism in there, btw I am a guy, though I guess you are going to claim you did not assume I was a girl. But hey, you and I both know the truth.
Original post by idk01
God all these little insults like 'sad'. You're making this so personal, learn to argue properly. The principle still applies, I'm not spinning the story. If you went on a date to a restaurant with someone from, lets say, Tinder, and they went up to the bar to order drinks for both of you, would you test it to see if it had been spiked? Honestly? That's not normal behaviour, that's paranoia, dear.
Reply 30
Where's the sexism? I didn't assume you were a woman for one minute. There is a legitimate concern if you're if you feel unsafe or if the person you're with is acting suspicious, but how the hell can you rationally imagine a bar scene where there's lots of men & women talking and they're all testing their drinks to see if they've been spiked. It's not feasible. Talking about sexism, why are you talking about the issue being about the safety of women? A man might just as likely have his drink spiked. I'm sorry but if you assume everyone who buys you a drink has spiked it, that's paranoia.
Original post by yudothis
So you ignore my entire post which logically destroyed your little story and go for the 'sad' part? Your fragile ego can't handle a woman making sure. You demand a stranger trust you completely because you are incapable of empathy. Your dismissal as 'paranoia' that which is a legitimate concern for women going out, shows you are exactly part of the problem.

And the low-key sexism in there, btw I am a guy, though I guess you are going to claim you did not assume I was a girl. But hey, you and I both know the truth.
a 2 minute wait is not very long to be honest, especially for something so serious.

Also you could just get your own drinks and not trust people so easily in the first place.
As I said, you would deny it.

Who said everyone? It just takes one. And that's what people like you don't understand. It's not paranoia, and in combination with your false claim than men are drugged as often as women shows you have no empathy whatsoever.
Original post by idk01
Where's the sexism? I didn't assume you were a woman for one minute. There is a legitimate concern if you're if you feel unsafe or if the person you're with is acting suspicious, but how the hell can you rationally imagine a bar scene where there's lots of men & women talking and they're all testing their drinks to see if they've been spiked. It's not feasible. Talking about sexism, why are you talking about the issue being about the safety of women? A man might just as likely have his drink spiked. I'm sorry but if you assume everyone who buys you a drink has spiked it, that's paranoia.
Reply 33
Oh my god seriously what is wrong with you, I have no empathy because I recognise that there's a huge issue of men being domestically abused and raped by women and that it doesn't get enough media attention? Ok, thanks for showing your true colours.

You just made my point. It just takes one. How can you know who that one is? As I've previously mentioned, sure if the other person is acting suspicious then I think this drug testing would be very useful. But, again as previously said, psychopaths, for example, are charismatic and charming, you'd have no idea that they are planning on raping you. In that case, there is a huge flaw with these date wristbands unless, like I said, you test every single drink that anyone ever buys you, which is irrational and unrealistic.
As I said, you would deny it.

Who said everyone? It just takes one. And that's what people like you don't understand. It's not paranoia, and in combination with your false claim than men are drugged as often as women shows you have no empathy whatsoever.
Ah so suddenly this is about male domestic abuse victims?

Lol. You got nothing better than to change the subject?
Original post by idk01
Oh my god seriously what is wrong with you, I have no empathy because I recognise that there's a huge issue of men being domestically abused and raped by women and that it doesn't get enough media attention? Ok, thanks for showing your true colours.

You just made my point. It just takes one. How can you know who that one is? As I've previously mentioned, sure if the other person is acting suspicious then I think this drug testing would be very useful. But, again as previously said, psychopaths, for example, are charismatic and charming, you'd have no idea that they are planning on raping you. In that case, there is a huge flaw with these date wristbands unless, like I said, you test every single drink that anyone ever buys you, which is irrational and unrealistic.
Reply 35
You're literally not making sense lol. This was never about men or women, I'm saying that men are also very likely to be victim of spiked drinks. I didn't just say male domestic abuse. How have I changed the subject in any way? I'm responding to what you said and now feel like I'm repeating myself because you clearly have no comprehension. Please stop embarrassing yourself.
Ah so suddenly this is about male domestic abuse victims?

Lol. You got nothing better than to change the subject?
This is quite literally about date rape drug testing, something that women need a lot more than men. I can't be bothered to reply to you anymore, you just lie and straw man.
Original post by idk01
You're literally not making sense lol. This was never about men or women, I'm saying that men are also very likely to be victim of spiked drinks. I didn't just say male domestic abuse. How have I changed the subject in any way? I'm responding to what you said and now feel like I'm repeating myself because you clearly have no comprehension. Please stop embarrassing yourself.
Reply 37
So you think we should just ignore the issue in regard to men? You can't be bothered to reply anymore because you're the worst debater I've ever encountered and your argument has run dry because you don't have any valid points.
This is quite literally about date rape drug testing, something that women need a lot more than men. I can't be bothered to reply to you anymore, you just lie and straw man.
I don't think it should be ignored - but you are the typical MRA: whenever women mention anything you come along and "but what about us men".

I am the worst debater? We are talking about date rape drug and you start talking about domestic abuse. You lie and pretend men are victims of this at the same rate as women. You can't even debate. You just make stuff up because you have no points and then you project onto me and claim I don't have any. This is a joke and monumental waste of time.
Original post by idk01
So you think we should just ignore the issue in regard to men? You can't be bothered to reply anymore because you're the worst debater I've ever encountered and your argument has run dry because you don't have any valid points.
Reply 39
The domestic abuse issue was a side point, I mentioned it alongside being raped, which often stems from spiked drinks. When did I ever say there are just as many male victims as there are female victims? I haven't made anything up, I haven't lied and my arguments have been on-topic and relevant, whereas you just respond with wish-washy over the top exaggerations that don't have any real truthfulness. So yes you are the worst debater I've ever encountered and I've encountered many.
I don't think it should be ignored - but you are the typical MRA: whenever women mention anything you come along and "but what about us men".

I am the worst debater? We are talking about date rape drug and you start talking about domestic abuse. You lie and pretend men are victims of this at the same rate as women. You can't even debate. You just make stuff up because you have no points and then you project onto me and claim I don't have any. This is a joke and monumental waste of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending