The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Music Listening and appraising J536/052 - 4th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

This poll is closed

How was the exam?

Excellent! :D17%
Good :)38%
OK :/21%
Not the greatest :(17%
Ummmm. *plays Jaws Theme* :'(8%
Total votes: 24
Welp, somebody had to get the ball rolling (or the hypothetical cymbals crashing).

This thread is for any OCR Music students that just generally need a chat, ask questions about the course to peers, ask for help/opinions on composition ideas etc.

Link to spec: https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse/music-j536-from-2016/

@Evil Homer, please add this to the list when you can! Thanks! :biggrin:

Good luck everyone! Try and get a breather after English Language before you go it. You’ve got this :rave: x
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What do we all want the world music question to be about? I'm praying for Bhangra
Reply 2
Has anyone got any links to any listening and appraising past papers, as I can't find any and my teacher won't give me any? And I want the question to be about Bhangra too, but I think it was last year, so I don't think they'll use it again!
Original post by samhunt_7
What do we all want the world music question to be about? I'm praying for Bhangra

It was last year :frown:
God forbid a Greek Music one :facepalm:

Original post by .Coco.
Has anyone got any links to any listening and appraising past papers, as I can't find any and my teacher won't give me any? And I want the question to be about Bhangra too, but I think it was last year, so I don't think they'll use it again!

Hiya, I don’t have any I could share, sorry! Have you tried the OCR website itself?
Reply 4
Yes, the only ones I could find were the pre-2016 ones( with a different spec) and the one I had already done in class! Also, what have you submitted for your performances?
Original post by RazzzBerries
It was last year :frown:
God forbid a Greek Music one :facepalm:

Hiya, I don’t have any I could share, sorry! Have you tried the OCR website itself?
Original post by .Coco.
Yes, the only ones I could find were the pre-2016 ones( with a different spec) and the one I had already done in class! Also, what have you submitted for your performances?

The best bet would probably doing the old spec stuff but looking out for questions in our new one. Ugh, that’s annoying.

For my solo, I’ve submitted me playing Staccato Beans by Tan Dun (it was my ABRSM exam piece for Grade 5).

For my ensemble, I played Tarantella (another exam piece) with my friend on bass guitar and my teacher on violin. Cringey af but it counts lol.

What about you?
Reply 6
Okay, I'll try that, thanks!
I haven't actually submitted anything officially yet!
This week, I recorded my ensemble piece( Gabriel's Oboe) with me playing the flute and my friend playing the piano.
For my solo, I was originally going to play the flute, but after getting braces, it made playing my piece very difficult, so I'm going to sing 'Hoplessly devoted' from Grease instead.
Original post by RazzzBerries
The best bet would probably doing the old spec stuff but looking out for questions in our new one. Ugh, that’s annoying.

For my solo, I’ve submitted me playing Staccato Beans by Tan Dun (it was my ABRSM exam piece for Grade 5).

For my ensemble, I played Tarantella (another exam piece) with my friend on bass guitar and my teacher on violin. Cringey af but it counts lol.

What about you?
Original post by .Coco.
Okay, I'll try that, thanks!
I haven't actually submitted anything officially yet!
This week, I recorded my ensemble piece( Gabriel's Oboe) with me playing the flute and my friend playing the piano.
For my solo, I was originally going to play the flute, but after getting braces, it made playing my piece very difficult, so I'm going to sing 'Hoplessly devoted' from Grease instead.

That’s cool! Wow, flute AND voice?! You’re talented!
If it's Greek music then god help us... What's the second best world music topic? Calypso???
If it's Greek music then god help us... What's the second best world music topic? Calypso???

I said the same thing lol 😂
Meh, I guess. Bhangra was the best though :frown:
Reply 10
Question: What does everyone find most difficult, Performance, composing or the actual paper?
Definitely performance. I quite enjoy the exams and composition, but my god I really dislike performance.

Can we also take this time to appreciate how trash the chord progression was as one of the stimuli? C,F,C,Am?!?
Original post by .Coco.
Question: What does everyone find most difficult, Performance, composing or the actual paper?
Reply 12
I definitely find the exam the most challenging because we literally haven't been taught anything for the exam, so I'm having to do the learning myself. I also find composition quite difficult because every time I come to do my composition I've forgotten what my original idea was last time!! I didn't use that stimuli so I can't really comment, but I guess it was so bad so that people who had no clue what to do didn't get completely confused?
Definitely performance. I quite enjoy the exams and composition, but my god I really dislike performance.

Can we also take this time to appreciate how trash the chord progression was as one of the stimuli? C,F,C,Am?!?

I used the lyrics instead. That chord
progression was too much for me to handle lmao
I did my performance piece and duet My teacher said I wd get 54/60Is this a good markI wish I did not hv the wobbles School piano not good Any of you did yours and how did it go?
Can you imagine if the 9-marker is on the Avengers theme?
Original post by Victoriiiia
Can you imagine if the 9-marker is on the Avengers theme?

i will cry
Original post by .Coco.

I did Something's Coming from West Side Story for my solo vocals, this got me 28/30
I did My Immortal for ensemble on vocals, this got me 22/30. I wasn't happy with this one but oh well.
Reply 18
Hey everyone, Just wondered if your teacher had given you back your overall grade for composition and performance and whether they told you how many marks you needed on the listening paper to get a certain grade? :smile:
Original post by .Coco.
Hey everyone, Just wondered if your teacher had given you back your overall grade for composition and performance and whether they told you how many marks you needed on the listening paper to get a certain grade? :smile:

Yeah, I did! :biggrin: I got 102/120 for my comps and performance overall.

I need around 71 marks in the paper to get a 9 :eek:
61 for an 8, which is probably more reasonable. This is all based on last year though and she thinks they'll go up :'(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending