The Student Room Group

Neighbour has stolen my cat and not letting him out of their house

What do I do? He has been missing for 5 days now and one of my neighbours have said that they saw the neighbours in the garden opposite taking him in and feeding him. I don't think they're letting him out and I have no clue why. Are they trying to get him used to them or something so they can keep him?

For the past few days I have constantly been looking out of the window and scanning over all the houses, all the gardens and all the shed roofs and he is NO WHERE. He doesn't like to stay inside so I think the neighbours opposite may be keeping him inside their house and not letting him out, because otherwise I would have seen him at least ONCE wandering around?

The annoying thing is, I have no view of the suspected thieves' garden because a whole roof and tree is in the way, so I have no way of telling who they are or if he might be there. My neighbours who do have a view of the opposite neighbours garden are the ones that told me they have been taking my cat in, so that's the only information I have.

I went all the way to the opposite road/neighbourhood and knocked on doors that are somewhat opposite of my house (used Google Maps) and a few people (one of which I suspect may have him in their house) didn't open and others said they haven't seen him and took my number in case they do.

What do I do? I have no clue if they're treating him well or not or why they're doing this when he clearly had a collar on meaning he's not a stray. I'm worried that they're not treating him well. This is all I need to know. Because if he's happy there then I don't mind that they keep him but I have no way of telling if they've trapped him in their house while he wants to leave or if he's there voluntarily and happily. But the fact that I cannot see a single trace of him anywhere for 5 days is very strange, because he doesn't like to stay inside constantly, so I would have seen him at least once.
you could go and ask the suspects if they have seen your cat ?
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
you could go and ask the suspects if they have seen your cat ?

I tried! I had to go all the way round (in the bus) and knock on doors on their street. Some didn't open up, and some did and said they haven't seen him. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do. If it didn't look weird, I would climb through gardens to get to their garden.
Scale the walls of the suspect in the dead of night and rescue your cat. You owe him that much.
you could report your suspicions to the police. they will be aware of any similar cat thefts locally; if these people are serial cat thieves then you could bring them down.
do not try snooping in their garden... that will end in tears.
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
you could report your suspicions to the police. they will be aware of any similar cat thefts locally; if these people are serial cat thieves then you could bring them down.
do not try snooping in their garden... that will end in tears.

Could I really tell the police about this?
Reply 6
Original post by batter mix
Scale the walls of the suspect in the dead of night and rescue your cat. You owe him that much.

I don't know if you're being serious but I honestly feel like doing this at this point.
Original post by bloomer36
I don't know if you're being serious but I honestly feel like doing this at this point.

I am utterly serious. I would suggest you take back-up with you for unforeseen circumstances. Don't be armed as that would be a problem if you were caught and think of a good story you can relate in case they catch you.

Another option is you could stakeout their house and once you confirm your suspicions, get the police involved.

Spoiler

Could I really tell the police about this?

of course. your cat is your property. unlawful removal of your property is theft.
Brings new meaning to cat burglar.

Ring the bizzies, if you like. No doubt neighbour will hand it over when a PC knocks on their door.
You should go into your neighbours garden. They won’t report you if they have your cat in their house as the police would have to check if they did. So go for it. Don’t break into their house though. Just take pictures if you see your cat.
Reply 11
Update: He came back!! He was waiting right outside my back garden door for someone to open. Couldn't believe it when I saw his little face. Thought he'd never come back! He came back with a dirty face and no collar. He went straight to the bowl of food and munched on it non-stop. He was absolutely starving. Think he must have had a wild few days.
Reply 12
Yay!! I’m so happy he’s safe

Update: He came back!! He was waiting right outside my back garden door for someone to open. Couldn't believe it when I saw his little face. Thought he'd never come back! He came back with a dirty face and no collar. He went straight to the bowl of food and munched on it non-stop. He was absolutely starving. Think he must have had a wild few days.

great news !!

https://i.imgur.com/XJyemeI.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest