The Student Room Group

Neighbour missed delivery

My neighbour probably thinks I’ve stolen their parcel. So the other day, probably Monday, a delivery for our neighbour was left with me because the neighbour wasn’t in. The same day I tried knocking on their door to give their parcel as I knew they were in already but no one responded. A few minutes later, someone has knocked on my door and ask for his parcel. He did show something on his phone, it was a yodel delivery so I thought yes it matched with the box.

Today, I was surprised to find someone else knocked on my door asking for their parcel, they showed me the delivery note that the delivery driver has left on their door. And I asked them when the delivery was, if it was today, and he said he doesn’t know. And I asked if he was our neighbor. And he said even though I’ve not seen him before. And I told him someone else has taken the parcel and he ask who, and I said a guy.

I don’t know what’s going on. I guess I’m just asking what everyone thinks? Is the guy who knocked on my door today trying to make it out as if I’ve taken their parcel so he could get a refund of redelivery? What I should’ve done? What I should do next time?
Reply 1
Well first of all, take time to introduce yourself to your neighbours so you know their name (bare minimum) and have their contact details. You never know when you need to be on contact with them.

Personally I wouldn’t take parcels for neighbours (especially when you don’t even know what they look like).

To be honest, you’ve done everything wrong, and if I was your neighbour I’d be so angry. But then again the neighbour shouldn’t have approved the delivery to be given to anyone else

Nothing you can do now. Just hope it all works out
In short, pay more attention to things. If I didn't know the person collecting the parcel I'd be checking their delivery details and parcel numbers before just handing it over. There isn't really much you can do now and it doesn't sound clear who's the parcel actually was.

Original post by Cdhelp
But then again the neighbour shouldn’t have approved the delivery to be given to anyone else

Tbh the delivery staff often do it no matter what your preference. Every so often one of them will give something to my neighbour and I'll have to report it as lost as I don't talk to my neighbour, he would call the police if I knocked on his door :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Original post by Cdhelp
Well first of all, take time to introduce yourself to your neighbours so you know their name (bare minimum) and have their contact details. You never know when you need to be on contact with them.

Personally I wouldn’t take parcels for neighbours (especially when you don’t even know what they look like).

To be honest, you’ve done everything wrong, and if I was your neighbour I’d be so angry. But then again the neighbour shouldn’t have approved the delivery to be given to anyone else

Nothing you can do now. Just hope it all works out

I know roughly what my neighbor looks like. The first guy I gave the parcel to I have seen before, he even parks his car infront of our house and I’ve seen him talking to our other neighbor opposite us. He was middle aged man and the guy who knocked today was a teenager, I have never seen before. What baffles me is it’s been like 2 day since the parcel has been delivered, they would’ve seen the delivery note the day it was delivered so why ask just now.

I’ve no problem taking in neighbours parcel as they’ve done it for me a few times. I normally just knock on their door when they’re in so I know I’m delivering it to their door and they’ve received it. But this time, they haven’t responded to my knock so I just waited for them to knock on my door.

Original post by StriderHort
In short, pay more attention to things. If I didn't know the person collecting the parcel I'd be checking their delivery details and parcel numbers before just handing it over. There isn't really much you can do now and it doesn't sound clear who's the parcel actually was.

Tbh the delivery staff often do it no matter what your preference. Every so often one of them will give something to my neighbour and I'll have to report it as lost as I don't talk to my neighbour, he would call the police if I knocked on his door :rolleyes:
Original post by Kschu
I know roughly what my neighbor looks like. The first guy I gave the parcel to I have seen before, he even parks his car infront of our house and I’ve seen him talking to our other neighbor opposite us. He was middle aged man and the guy who knocked today was a teenager, I have never seen before. What baffles me is it’s been like 2 day since the parcel has been delivered, they would’ve seen the delivery note the day it was delivered so why ask just now.

I’ve no problem taking in neighbours parcel as they’ve done it for me a few times. I normally just knock on their door when they’re in so I know I’m delivering it to their door and they’ve received it. But this time, they haven’t responded to my knock so I just waited for them to knock on my door.

Perhaps the teenager found the delivery note on the street and tried his luck?
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
Perhaps the teenager found the delivery note on the street and tried his luck?

This could actually be a possibility because when I asked when the delivery was, if it was today, he said he doesn’t know. Surely if it was their parcel, they wouldn’t wait 2 days to collect it, that’s why I was so confused.
Original post by Kschu
My neighbour probably thinks I’ve stolen their parcel. So the other day, probably Monday, a delivery for our neighbour was left with me because the neighbour wasn’t in. The same day I tried knocking on their door to give their parcel as I knew they were in already but no one responded. A few minutes later, someone has knocked on my door and ask for his parcel. He did show something on his phone, it was a yodel delivery so I thought yes it matched with the box.

Today, I was surprised to find someone else knocked on my door asking for their parcel, they showed me the delivery note that the delivery driver has left on their door. And I asked them when the delivery was, if it was today, and he said he doesn’t know. And I asked if he was our neighbor. And he said even though I’ve not seen him before. And I told him someone else has taken the parcel and he ask who, and I said a guy.

I don’t know what’s going on. I guess I’m just asking what everyone thinks? Is the guy who knocked on my door today trying to make it out as if I’ve taken their parcel so he could get a refund of redelivery? What I should’ve done? What I should do next time? Why they just don't use timesavingmachine? Then there would be zero problems at all.

Very unpleasant situation! Never thought that there could be such cases in 2023.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Chester Frost
Very unpleasant situation! Never thought that there could be such cases in 2023.

Just an update: the teenager who was asking for the parcel turned out to be the son of the person I gave the parcel to. He saw the delivery note somewhere in the house not knowing his dad has already picked it up from me 2 days before. He probably thought it was a new delivery note, I was asking him questions but he seemed clueless so I guess he assumed and wasn’t aware that his dad has already picked it up.
Original post by Kschu
Just an update: the teenager who was asking for the parcel turned out to be the son of the person I gave the parcel to. He saw the delivery note somewhere in the house not knowing his dad has already picked it up from me 2 days before. He probably thought it was a new delivery note, I was asking him questions but he seemed clueless so I guess he assumed and wasn’t aware that his dad has already picked it up.

Good to get updates and a happy ending.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending