The Student Room Group

Out of Control Animal

I'm going to start off by saying that I like all animals, especially cats and I own a cat too. My cat likes to roam around the backstreet and other cats also come to my back garden because it's spacious, has high walls and because we feed the stray cats - there is always a cat in the garden.

For a while now some of my annoying neighbours have been going around with their dog, I don't know it's breed, but it's really big. The dog is always barking and seems very stressed. My neighbours and their friends are always teasing the dog and can barely handle the dog - they aren't walking the dog; the dog is walking them - they struggle to hold on to the leash. Sometimes when teased enough it tries to lunge and attack one of the other neighbours and it barks like crazy, a child got scared of the dog and was even getting cornered by it.

I feel stressed because oftentimes I've noticed this dog being hostile to it's owners and also the cats in my garden, the dog is always chasing after the cats and sometimes it is let wild in the back streets without a leash. These neighbours of mine are the worst kind of neighbour and won't listen to a thing anybody says, but I'm worried someone is going to get hurt whether it's my cats or the neighbours on the street.

Any Advice?
Reply 1
Yes

Keep a note of when and to whom the dog was aggressive and report this to the police as soon as possible. It is a dangerous dog

This is a tragedy waiting to happen - just like the many of the other deaths and severe injury that have been caused by a dog - where everyone but the owner of the dog would expect it to happen.

Very sadly it should be the owners of the dog who should be muzzled and put away as they are the cause of this. They are incapable of owning and looking after this dog, as it is strong and out of control and the dog is stressed.The reasons for the owners keeping this dog too are selfish - status, talking point, plaything etc

But it is always the dog that suffers. It is probably a brutalised dog too when the owners react with violence to the dogs strength and aggression.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
Yes

Keep a note of when and to whom the dog was aggressive and report this to the police as soon as possible. It is a dangerous dog

This is a tragedy waiting to happen - just like the many of the other deaths and severe injury that have been caused by a dog - where everyone but the owner of the dog would expect it to happen.

Very sadly it should be the owners of the dog who should be muzzled and put away as they are the cause of this. They are incapable of owning and looking after this dog, as it is strong and out of control and the dog is stressed.The reasons for the owners keeping this dog too are selfish - status, talking point, plaything etc

But it is always the dog that suffers. It is probably a brutalised dog too when the owners react with violence to the dogs strength and aggression.

Thanks for your response, I'll keep a look out as to when this happens. I do agree with you, the owners are genuinely horrible people, who don't deserve the dog I can only hope that the dog gets the help it needs.
Original post by Bean_cat
I'm going to start off by saying that I like all animals, especially cats and I own a cat too. My cat likes to roam around the backstreet and other cats also come to my back garden because it's spacious, has high walls and because we feed the stray cats - there is always a cat in the garden.

For a while now some of my annoying neighbours have been going around with their dog, I don't know it's breed, but it's really big. The dog is always barking and seems very stressed. My neighbours and their friends are always teasing the dog and can barely handle the dog - they aren't walking the dog; the dog is walking them - they struggle to hold on to the leash. Sometimes when teased enough it tries to lunge and attack one of the other neighbours and it barks like crazy, a child got scared of the dog and was even getting cornered by it.

I feel stressed because oftentimes I've noticed this dog being hostile to it's owners and also the cats in my garden, the dog is always chasing after the cats and sometimes it is let wild in the back streets without a leash. These neighbours of mine are the worst kind of neighbour and won't listen to a thing anybody says, but I'm worried someone is going to get hurt whether it's my cats or the neighbours on the street.

Any Advice?

report it. the dangerous dog act exists for this very reason. you can contact your council's dog warden service or the police. even if they do nothing currently, if in the event something happens your reports will be there as proof this dog is a problem. unfortunately you're unlikely to get the dog removed unless there's sufficient evidence of neglect/abuse. rspca don't care as long as the dog has food water n shelter

Quick Reply

Latest