The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Why should I choose Bristol over Warwick?

I like the course at both of these universities and their ranking seems to be about the same (Warwick is only a few spots above Bristol), so which one do I choose? I've never been to either of these places I don't know which one I'd like more. Are there any specific reasons for why I should choose Bristol?
Bristol is a quirky small town/city opposite Cardiff on the Bristol Channel. You might be able to do surfing on the river Severn bore (a freak wave),
it is quite nice environmentally.

Warwick is a rather more serious campus university in the midlands, excellent place (tho' I only studied Chemistry for two weeks there)
It's only "crime" is that a bus route goes through the campus, so you have to watch-out for the odd big slow moving vehicle, where some campuses are more pedestrian friendly.

your last question: Are there any specific reasons for why I should choose Bristol? YES, you didn't mention which subject you might wish to study, as that might suggest one or the other.

on this Top UK Uni for Psych website, they rank Bristol as sixth in UK, whilst Warwick gets just twentieth place. I have been to the Warwick psychology dept and I'd personally rate it much higher than that.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Bristol is a mini London, the clifton area is nice too. Check out youtube.
Original post by SenseiPoop
I like the course at both of these universities and their ranking seems to be about the same (Warwick is only a few spots above Bristol), so which one do I choose? I've never been to either of these places I don't know which one I'd like more. Are there any specific reasons for why I should choose Bristol?

All the answers above are very helpful.

I would definitely recommend visiting them, you'll be living there for three years. League table rankings mean nothing if you hate where you live.
Bristol, home of the pengers
Original post by SenseiPoop

Go to Bristol. You'll get bored in Warwick. Both have good reputations and international ranking and blah blah but I reckon you'll have more fun in Bristol. I haven't been to either city and I'm from the UK, but from what I've heard of friends and family who have been to either or university, Bristol sounded the most fun.
Original post by UniGuru25
Go to Bristol. You'll get bored in Warwick. Both have good reputations and international ranking and blah blah but I reckon you'll have more fun in Bristol. I haven't been to either city and I'm from the UK, but from what I've heard of friends and family who have been to either or university, Bristol sounded the most fun.

^

I'd pick Bristol out of the two.
Reply 7
Original post by LuigiMario
Bristol is a quirky small town/city opposite Cardiff on the Bristol Channel. You might be able to do surfing on the river Severn bore (a freak wave),
it is quite nice environmentally.

Warwick is a rather more serious campus university in the midlands, excellent place (tho' I only studied Chemistry for two weeks there)
It's only "crime" is that a bus route goes through the campus, so you have to watch-out for the odd big slow moving vehicle, where some campuses are more pedestrian friendly.

your last question: Are there any specific reasons for why I should choose Bristol? YES, you didn't mention which subject you might wish to study, as that might suggest one or the other.

on this Top UK Uni for Psych website, they rank Bristol as sixth in UK, whilst Warwick gets just twentieth place. I have been to the Warwick psychology dept and I'd personally rate it much higher than that.

Thanks for the reply! I'll be studying Computer Science.
Comp Sci is basically Maths

(as you have to study the underlying concepts of computing, not whether an AMD 7nm CPU is better than an intel 10nm CPU and who is lying!)

so Warwick is 5th in 2020, fun Bristol is 15th here https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Computer+Science

they are still head-to-head, basically, except that Bristol WAS 5th a few years ago and is declining in popularity for some reason, Warwick is highest in satisfaction

my favourite Comp Sci question was when the tutor asked us to write & debug a (simple program) in Python?
during the monday morning test, everyone reached for their lappies, and the tutor (she) said "No, I want you to write the program on an A4 sheet, in ink"

there was a lot of screaming!!!!!!!!!!

have fun!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending