The Student Room Group

(CIE) AS Level Geography

So... I just sat the core physical geography paper for region 2 (9696/12/M/J/19)... and that was honestly the one of the hardest papers i've done for that component... any one else feel that way?

Scroll to see replies

Was yours the one with deltas and ocean currents? If so same!
Original post by zaidandjawas
So... I just sat the core physical geography paper for region 2 (9696/12/M/J/19)... and that was honestly the one of the hardest papers i've done for that component... any one else feel that way?
It didn't go well for me either!
@zaidandjawas hi are you from Pakistan?

@juicyapples @emilyhannis
CIE exams are one of the toughest A level exams in the world. If you fail the exams see if you can do the same subjects with an easier exam board.
Question ( Variant 1 paper )

a) Label the diagram of the delta
b) Explain how the shape of the delta will change over time

a) Describe the patterns for the ocean currents in the Northern Hemisphere
b) Describe the two effects of the ocean current patterns stated in a) how it will affect the seasonal temperature in the Northern Hemisphere
c) Apart from ocean currents name one other way that seasonal temperature changes can be influenced

a) Label the Diagram
i) A
ii) B
b) Describe how A occurs
c) Explain how water effects mass movements
(edited 4 years ago)
I found it really hard. Especially section A. What question did you all do for section B?
Original post by sophie.pit
I found it really hard. Especially section A. What question did you all do for section B?

Rocks and weathering
:frown:
Original post by juicyapples
It didn't go well for me either!
Rocks and weathering
My paper was slightly different cuz i did variant 2...
Original post by michael.pompa
Question

a) Label the diagram of the delta
b) Explain how the shape of the delta will change over time

a) Describe the patterns for the ocean currents in the Northern Hemisphere
b) Describe the two effects of the ocean current patterns stated in a) how it will affect the seasonal temperature in the Northern Hemisphere
c) Apart from ocean currents name one other way that seasonal temperature changes can be influenced

a) Label the Diagram
i) A
ii) B
b) Describe how A occurs
c) Explain how water effects mass movements
What did variant 2/3 include?
Original post by zaidandjawas
My paper was slightly different cuz i did variant 2...
I did rivers! I don't like rocks and weathering.
Original post by juicyapples
Rocks and weathering

I did rivers! I don't like rocks and weathering.
similar section A, especially second question. First question was drainage basin (decent). thats all I remember. Im just hoping i get the A for this component... I must do well for Human
Original post by michael.pompa
What did variant 2/3 include?
Guys, the question about drainage density calculation is not in the syllabus. Anyone wants to do anything regarding it?
omg ikr, it really annoys me

(Original post by Zhuoyachen)Guys, the question about drainage density calculation is not in the syllabus. Anyone wants to do anything regarding it?

Section A was really bad
question 4 in section B as it was the easiest of the three
Original post by Zhuoyachen
Guys, the question about drainage density calculation is not in the syllabus. Anyone wants to do anything regarding it?

omg ikr, it really annoys me

(Original post by Zhuoyachen)Guys, the question about drainage density calculation is not in the syllabus. Anyone wants to do anything regarding it?

I had a look in the learner guide of the spec and it doesn't specifically mention drainage density but it is part of 1.1 the drainage basin system. I think in the spec it would count under the bullet point of "understand how a change in one part of the system will cause changes in other parts" or the one after which is "apply the above to basins in a variety of different climatic environments, e.g very wet, seasonal rainfall, etc." in the textbook I use which is the Oxford University Press Geography textbook for Cambridge international AS & A level, it does mention drainage density under the subheading of drainage basin characteristics.
How did everyone find the human paper today?
Original post by Rosie2084
How did everyone find the human paper today?

Pretty good actually! I did population for section B, I didn't have any supporting data for the 7 marker on comparing life expectancy changes in LICs and HICS but I chose it because it looked better that the others overall as the rest was population policy, and I've known the one-child policy inside out since GCSE. Section A was pretty good overall too

Quick Reply

Latest