The Student Room Group

I completely failed my As level CIE exams

Hey I got a U in geography, E in History and E in English literature and language. Does anyone have any advice? I’m planning on rewriting in May but I really need some advice on drastic measures I can take to ensure I get Bs which is a jump I know.
Reply 1
Come through for me?
Reply 2
Original post by Student24?!
Hey I got a U in geography, E in History and E in English literature and language. Does anyone have any advice? I’m planning on rewriting in May but I really need some advice on drastic measures I can take to ensure I get Bs which is a jump I know.

Hi I took A level CIE history and geography a few years ago and got A and A*. Feel free to message me with any questions I’m happy to help!
Reply 3
Original post by bellyyyy
Hi I took A level CIE history and geography a few years ago and got A and A*. Feel free to message me with any questions I’m happy to help!

hey I was wondering how you studied for it all I just find it hard finding a point to start at and making notes that add value
Reply 4
hey I was wondering how you studied for it all I just find it hard finding a point to start at and making notes that add value

With making notes I just broke down the papers/topics. So I did France 1774-1814 for Paper 1 and sectioned this into the 4 key questions (in the syllabus) and then content bullet points (also in syllabus). For example key question 1 was ‘Causes and immediate outcomes of the 1774 revolution?’ Then first content bullet point was ‘problems and policies of Louis XVI and Jaques Necker’. I would make notes (I did mind maps as I find this most helpful) of all problems and policies. Then move onto next content bullet point, so all my notes carefully follow/cover syllabus. Honestly though from my experience the key to A level history is your essay technique..however good your notes are doesn’t matter unless your essay technique is good. What I did is after each section of notes I would find a past exam question from that particular content and answer it using the notes I’ve just made. This helped consolidate the notes I’d just made and identify any gaps in my notes..if I didn’t have enough points to make in my essay then I needed to add to my notes.
Hope that helps.
Reply 5

With geography I had a very similar approach just made sure my notes were more specific (as in make sure you know the steps of processes such as formation of a spit etc) and then apply notes to past exam questions.

Quick Reply

Latest